nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2585
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD card removal in the D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
vermonster314 Registered since 02nd Oct 2010Sat 02-Oct-10 07:28 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD card removal in the D3100"

US

I'm finding it takes more force to remove SD cards from my D3100 than I would have expected --- is it normal for it to take some force to remove the card?

I'm used to (cheap) cameras where if push the eject button, the card practically falls out. On the 3100, when I push it the card in to eject, it pops out half-way okay, but then I either have to pull hard and/or wiggle it just right (and I've not figured out how to consistently replicate "just right") the card.

The guy at the store told me not to worry, I wouldn't hurt the camera, but I guess I'm a little skeptical. Why is there resistance?

Is this typical for the camera?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SD card removal in the D3100
jpFoto
02nd Oct 2010
macfarlane103
04th Oct 2010
vermonster314
05th Oct 2010
macfarlane103
05th Oct 2010
jpFoto
05th Oct 2010
jmschwartz
10th Oct 2010
jpFoto
11th Oct 2010
jmschwartz
11th Oct 2010

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sat 02-Oct-10 10:07 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SD card removal in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 02-Oct-10 10:09 PM by jpFoto

US

I noticed the same thing. In fact, I was going to exchange my D3100, because I thought that it might be a defect. I have had a number of cameras that have used SD cards and have never experienced this "rough" insertion and removal effort. I use very high quality SanDisk Extreme III cards, and I was afraid that I might ruin my cards. I took a cheap, low capacity, card that I didn't care about and then inserted it past the resistance and then out again about 50 times until the problem disappeared. After reading your post, I think that Nikon may have purchased and installed some card receptacles that may have minor defects.

I'm going to stop at Best Buy tomorrow and try my cheap card in their display model to see if it's the same way.

Let me know if this "fix" works for you.

jP

macfarlane103 Registered since 31st Dec 2006Mon 04-Oct-10 06:35 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD card removal in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Same here. Bought mine today. Worried I would hurt my card by yanking it out.

Only took a few photos inside before bed. Looking fwd to test driving it tomorrow. I have a d50. Definitely less quality build on the 3100, but the photos met my expectations so far. I plan to sell my D50 but it will be hard to let go. It's been a dandy and I like the feel of it better, even though it's bigger and heavier.

Got mine at London Drugs.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vermonster314 Registered since 02nd Oct 2010Tue 05-Oct-10 02:24 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SD card removal in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

That did help. Thanks for the suggestion, and the confirmation that this is not something unique to my unit.

macfarlane103 Registered since 31st Dec 2006Tue 05-Oct-10 06:33 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SD card removal in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

i will have to try that. How do you like the photo quality? Is this your first nikon? Haven't tried the video yet. Curious as to what users think of it.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 05-Oct-10 07:26 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SD card removal in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 4

US

The D3100 is an excellent camera, and the sensor is "state of the art." The picture quality at high ISO settings rivals that of some of the best digital cameras that Nikon has ever produced, and for the money, it is an absolute bargain. I can't comment on the video since I really haven't used it very much and didn't buy the camera for that feature.

jmschwartz Registered since 08th Apr 2010Sun 10-Oct-10 12:32 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SD card removal in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 5

US

After my 3100 "trashed" 3 different SD cards (from 2 different manufacturers: Sandisk & Transcend) in a matter of one day, I sent the camera back (along with the SD cards). I am astonished at the sub-par fit and finish of the card slot. My D300s and D90 never had such problems. Too potentially mission-critical an error to overlook, IMHO.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 11-Oct-10 07:58 AM
#7. "RE: SD card removal in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your new camera. That's why I had suggested using a "cheap" or old card to condition the slot. However, I recognize that not everyone has an old, expendable card to use for that purpose, and it's certainly not an excuse for a defect.

My D3100 had another problem related to the video function, so I ended up exchanging it, and the card slot in the new one appears to be "normal."

Hopefully, your replacement, if you are replacing it as opposed to returning it, will be defect free. As I had said, I really think that the image quality is excellent, so I hope that our two cameras were the exception rather than the rule.

If you are replacing it, please post your experience with the new one so that all of us can get a feel for the quality issue.

jmschwartz Registered since 08th Apr 2010Mon 11-Oct-10 08:20 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SD card removal in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 11-Oct-10 08:20 AM by jmschwartz

US

Hello jpFoto,

Thanks for the response. Actually, I did have an old 1GB SD card which I used, as per your suggestion, to loosen up the sticky slot. Everything seemed ok, but later that same day three new, more expensive cards decided that "they" needed to cause trouble

I will more than likely forego exchanging the 3100 and instead focus my photolust elsewhere.

Rgds,
Jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2585 Previous topic | Next topic