nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ccbassgirl

US
16 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ccbassgirl Registered since 01st Oct 2010
Fri 01-Oct-10 05:29 PM

Hi All,

I'm Callie from Michigan.
I have a 35mm Nikon SLR and have recently decided to make the leap to a DSLR - yea!
I only take photos for hobby, and mainly of family and my very active 4 year old boy. Thus prompt shutter response is a must!
I'd like to ask your advice on where to buy.

I have narrowed it down to 3 options based on best bargain. They all offer the same package and it's the same model I'm looking at (D3000).
I'd like to know your experience with any of these Authorized Dealers please.

Lowest price - Adorama - refurbished - on-line order

Mid price - Amazon (shipped from Samy's in CA) - NEW - on-line order (approx. $50 more than Adorama).

Slightly higher - Best Buy - New - local pick up (I have $95 in Reward Zone points I can use toward this purchase which puts the price slightly above Amazon/Samy's.

I've read so many rave about refurb's from an Authorized Nikon Dealer. So I'm tempted to say "why not save the most possible?"
What do you think?

I initially went to EBay to look for a "New in Box" package. Then I started reading about the warranty only being valid with a receipt from an Authorized Dealer. I have found two people thus far with receipts and the camera has never been out of box - no actuations. I'm still skeptical. Any opinions on buying this way?

Thanks for your input! I can't wait to get to the DSLR world.

G