Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #253
View in linear mode

Subject: "Exposures;D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Mon 08-Jun-09 02:11 AM
2386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Exposures;D5000"

US

Is anyone having as much trouble as me with getting good/even exposures.I'm ranging from -.07 to +one stop.!Mostly everything came good w/ my 8400 @ -.03.W/ my S5 IS P+S I chose my exposure on "LIVE VIEW".D5000 I'm all over the place.Shoot - O - that's too dark,or,O - that's way bright.Live view (D5000)is too slow to use all the time plus uses more battery.No base exposure??Extra work and time to reshoot-reshoot... over all I'm very happy with the D5000 , and I love interacting/partisipating w/ Nikonian -and I like to include a Photo w/ each post.I see also there is a my gallery-?-just for Nikon shots?Note;so far I am only posting Nikon D5000 shots.It's a little hassle to change lenses (sometimes there is no time to)but the alternitive is a larger/heavyer(poss. lens creep)all in one main lens.Nice light system!! , Larry Have a nice post for ya to check out ;

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Exposures;D5000
MEMcD Moderator
08th Jun 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
08th Jun 2009
DreamInducedHaze
08th Jun 2009
JosephK Silver Member
08th Jun 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
08th Jun 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
12th Jun 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
19th Jun 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
22nd Jun 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
22nd Jun 2009
DreamInducedHaze
08th Jun 2009
sd40
09th Jun 2009
blw Moderator
13th Jun 2009
sd40
13th Jun 2009
sd40
13th Jun 2009
sd40
15th Jun 2009

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Jun-09 03:31 AM
26192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Larry,

Are you trying to judge the exposure using Live view?
You might want to compare the brightness level you have set on the cameras LCD to the the scene in front of you or the image you are seeing on your compter monitor. This assumes that you have your monitor calibrated.
The images should be exposed reasonably close to perfect without having to use exposure compensation for every image. This of course depends on the ambient conditions and the type of metering that you are using.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Mon 08-Jun-09 05:36 AM
2386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

No , I'm saying using the viewfinder ... ,settling into centered-weighted,(matrix- most was coming to dark/muddy).Shoot (through the viewfinder,centerweighted,+/- 0, Then I look at the review - to see if it's too dark (muddy/underexposed), or too bright (blown out whites-overall too washed out)...then guess and shoot the same shot @+.03 or +.07 if it was too dark,opposite if it was too bright = -.03 or -.07.Guess I am judging right away by whay I "SEE" on the camera review monitor. Anyway ; I thought , with an SLR , I would get killer sharpness, cleaness , crispness , not so heavly saturated -pleasing colors.Without it being such a challenge,tweeking forever!Oh,I been shooting on natual - (not standard or vivid) - and D-lighting off. I know I only have the camera 4 days - but I had an Olympus E-30 for about 6 days, 300 images ...could not get a good base for shooting.,(it had bad banding right down the center - refund) I'm just exposure confounded,and lots of shots are too saturated. But I'll pull through...and find my BASE ...and I will continue to post good Nikon photos - I can program photos...back to life... please don't anyone feel like you have to answer, or solve. I guess I had VERY high expectations for SLRs ...so I could just do MY THING w/out having to do THE CAMERA'S JOB. Hope I'm not twisted!!!!!!!! , Larry ;here's two images from today ;boat was straight,lounge was darkened and cropped. ENJOY - HAPPY NIKON , "it's all good"

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

DreamInducedHaze Registered since 08th May 2009Mon 08-Jun-09 03:59 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hey Larry. I'm curious, what camera setting are you using for your photos? (Shutter, Aperture, Manual, etc.)

TL

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 08-Jun-09 05:28 PM
4546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

I am not seeing anything obviously wrong with these two examples. However, the high ISO and very small apertures are probably not helping things.

Larry, what needs improving here in your opinion?

---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Mon 08-Jun-09 05:32 PM
#5. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Marty , and everyone ; Thank you! , think I found my "base exposure/colors" this morning!!!!Center-weighted metering was way to advanced/sensitive for me right now. This morning I decided I'd try Auto (USUALLY THE ULTIMATE NO-NO)and BINGO!,there's the good base exposure.So I went back to "A" took the same shot...= too bright!AH!,took the metering back to matrix ... and there it is!!!!When I was on matrix before...I was also on D-lighting...which now I have "off". ie; 1st photo - full "auto" ,2nd photo - (as I shot yesterday) on "A"w/cw metering , 3rd photo - "BINGO!" on "A" w/matrix metering w/D-lighting "off".Next 4 shots are small...just to make SURE "I GOT IT"...all these are straight out of camera in a row. Thank you to all , enjoy!

Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Fri 12-Jun-09 05:45 PM
#8. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I noticed something important to tell ya Nikonians D5000) on NL ... I believe it knocks down the CONTRAST (and saturation)... But SD (standard) was still a little too strong for my liking ...so I did a test ; Shot 8 different photos,of 6 different types of settings ie; SD,NL,VI,C1(custom = SD minus one click on saturation),C2(=NL plus one click contrast,plus one click on saturation),C3(VI w/ minus one click on saturation). Of these what I liked best ... no contest was C1.With this test you can REALLY see the (quality)/contrast (loss) of NL ...but good if selected by choice.- esspecially for close up or blunt subject matter.I may also test NL w/ just plus one on contrast only...as C4.(as ALL other photos in test were all too saturated for me). So NEW best for me so far is ; (Standard) (SD)w/ minus 1 on saturation ...which on my camera is C1(custom)- in "set picture contol" I hope to go to Grand Canyon Sept or Oct ...SO I NEED TO GET DIALED IN !!!!!!!!!

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Fri 19-Jun-09 04:40 AM
#13. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 8

US

An update ; feels like I have been struggling with exposure,OVER-SATURATION, and even muted-or-rounded sharpness ...like since I got my D5000. ...but I'm getting REAL close to what I can be happy with ; picture control ; tryed them ALL encluding custom ...around 15 custom modes so far (mostly minus saturation)so, here's where I'm at; "A",no "D" lighting,custom mode-being-NL(plus 3 sharpening,minus 1 saturation),+/- 0 or +.03,using metrix,using f8-32,iso 800 (through 2500) ...that's about it ... did lots of testing ; results being too saturated, or not really sharp/clear...especially in the distance(like trees up on the hill across the river).Tryed minus 2 saturation on above also - but it was a little too flat/not enough punch,but I will jump into that mode if what I just shot was too strong.I really like my camera and lenses. So here's some "Back-yard test shots w/where I'm at last" ;

Attachment #5, (jpg file)

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Mon 22-Jun-09 02:53 AM
#14. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 13

US

2nd update ; CAR SHOW PHOTOS - w/D5000,18-55VR,55-200VR, AND TOKINA 10-17 !!!!! WOW WAS I A MESS WITH EXPOSURES - what I wound up doing was just shoot - then exposure compinsation plus or minus (if was too dark,or too light)...ranging 4 to 5 stops!!!(I need a Doctor!)Anyway I think these shots came GREAT!As I was shooting at the show I deleated 100-150 photos,maybe more, AND THESE are about the best of 260 photos (of which 39 made my show).So to speak - I did not do so good (% wise). BUT YOU'RE GONNA LIKE EM ... ; First shot is with the tokina 10-17 ;2nd and 3rd photos were the in camera soft+star..

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Mon 22-Jun-09 02:59 AM
#15. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 14

US

somehow I got cut off , here's the rest of the photos ;

DreamInducedHaze Registered since 08th May 2009Mon 08-Jun-09 06:49 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 08-Jun-09 06:55 PM by DreamInducedHaze

US

Edited: Not sure how I missed Larry's explanation. Too little too late.

TL

sd40 Registered since 09th Jun 2009Tue 09-Jun-09 09:21 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I have owned a D5000 for about ten days and a D40 for nearly two years. Before that, I owned a D80, an Olympus E510 and E300, and other cameras.

I am on my second D5000 so the problem I'm having is probably not due to a defective camera.

The first thing I did when I got the first D5000 was to take it and the D40 out and shoot test photos side by side. I'm shooting landscapes with lots of green grass, hayfields, and brush.

I think I have isolated my problem down to this: When the D5000 is set for Auto White Balance, I get a lot of photos where the greens look like yellow ochre and the overall cast of the photo suggests too much amber. It happens in sunlight from early morning to noonday sun to evening. But it doesn't happen all the time. Occasionally the camera will throw me an image with the correct colors, and when they're correct, the D5000 really delivers.

I discovered today that I can eliminate this problem by selecting "sunlight" white balance when shooting in sunlight, rather than "Auto" WB, and the correction is consistent so far. So is the return to yellow ochre images when I go back to Auto WB. I haven't tried cloudy shots yet.

I originally chose Auto WB because it seemed like a convenience and was recommended by the manual. I would rather not fiddle with WB every time the sun goes behind a cloud (we have a lot of those in-and-out days here).

I now realize that I don't understand what Auto White Balance does. I assumed that the D5000 was choosing Direct Sunlight, Cloudy, Shade, etc. based on what it sees when it meters the light, but now I am not sure. If that's what it does, it's screwing up. It acts more like it's trying to average or compromise the type of light that it sees.

By the way, I tested the various white balance adjustment options, skewing it toward more blue or more blue/magenta. I also tried adjusting Hue in the Picture Controls. Nothing really worked, until I selected Direct Sunlight WB today, after which the colors were just about perfect.

Does anyone have any insight into what is going on here? Feel free to point out "operator error."

If I can get over the hump on this issue, the D5000 could turn out to be a real step up from my beloved D40.

SD40

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 13-Jun-09 10:56 AM
26761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond, US

Auto WB is supposed to pick the color balance according to the prevailing light. In general Auto WB is fairly easy to fool in complicated mixed lighting conditions, but what you are describing sounds like a normal straightforward outdoor scene, and it should definitely get that right.

You can work around the problem by shooting in raw and then adjusting the white balance manually, but that's a hassle if it's always wrong. If it's really as bad as you're describing, I'm inclined to think that something is wrong with the camera. I don't have a D5000 but I've got three Nikon DSLRs and auto WB works reasonably well on all of them.

Given that the D40 works correctly, it doesn't seem like it's an overt cockpit error. Does the D5000 have a different filter on it than the D40, by any chance?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

sd40 Registered since 09th Jun 2009Sat 13-Jun-09 05:25 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be clear, the now-sold D40 Auto WB wasn't perfect in my experience. The current problem has occurred on two D5000s--one that I returned, and its replacement.

I've had a couple more days to play with this and have been taking landscape photos in varying light, in sets of three: Direct Sunlight WB, Cloudy WB, and Auto WB. Except in very cloudy conditions, Direct Sunlight WB seems the closest to reality, while Cloudy and Auto WB have too much amber. Indeed, in several cases the result with Auto WB is slightly warmer (more amber) than with the Cloudy preset.

Given that this has occurred on two D5000s in a row, it does not seem to a defect found only in one sample.

My best hypothesis is that compared to the D40, the D5000's other processing improvements have exposed the weakness of its Auto WB, or perhaps it's just more sensitive.

Elsewhere on the web I found a review of the D90 that stated that its Auto WB accuracy in direct sunlight was "awful" but better under shade conditions. That would be consistent with what I am seeing.

I'll say again that I think the D5000's image quality is much superior to the D40's in other respects and I am enjoying the camera while remaining wary of Auto WB.

sd40 Registered since 09th Jun 2009Sat 13-Jun-09 06:18 PM
#11. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Brian: I see I overlooked your last question. The D5000 has the same lens and the same filter on it as the D40--I retained the 18-55mm kit lens from the D40.

sd40 Registered since 09th Jun 2009Mon 15-Jun-09 11:15 PM
#12. "RE: Exposures;D5000"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I have done two road trips through western NY in the last two days, with crips blue skies, sunshine, and puffy white clouds both days (this is a treat where I live). I took the D5000 both days.

With each photo, I shot it first using the "direct sunshine" WB setting and then a second one using the "Auto" WB option. The results are variable. The classic case: This morning I shot down a country road and then turned around and shot the other way. In direction A, Auto WB was warmer (more amber) than "direct sunshine" WB, and in Direction B it was cooler. In the first instance, Auto WB was less accurate in relation to the real colors, and in the second instance it was more accurate.

It is this variability that has driven me to order a camera made by another brand. If one allows me to more or less rely on Auto WB and the other does not, then that will be a big thing.

The D5000 is highly praised in the reviews, and rightly so. Auto WB aside, image quality is indeed another world apart from the D40 and D60.

We'll see how Brand X stacks up against the D5000.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #253 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.