nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #2519
View in linear mode

Subject: "DSLR Horror Story" Previous topic | Next topic
SpittyScent Registered since 09th Sep 2010Thu 16-Sep-10 05:15 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DSLR Horror Story"

CA

I've recently purchased a D5000 and I'm loving it. Recently, I took the family for a 5 day holiday in New York City and we really enjoyed it.

While we were there I made a point to get to B&H Photo after our Empire State Building tour and pick up a couple of items. I bought a Tamrac Evolution 8 backpack and it is perfect for my needs.

Back at the hotel I happily transfered all my gear to my new backpack until everything was configured exactly how I wanted it. I made a final check of everything (my family thinks I'm obsessed) and announced "TADDDAAAA" as I flung my newly loaded backpack over my shoulder.

I immediately heard a loud thunk behind me and turned to see my new camera bounce off the wall behind me and hit the floor. I had somehow forgotten to zip up the camera access of the backpack.

You can imagine my reaction, I checked the camera out and everything seemed to be working fine.

My questions are:
1) Can Nikon determine that the camera has been dropped if it ever has to go in for warranty work?
2) Do you think the longevity of my camera has been jeopordized by my careless, foolish action?

I look forward to hearing from anyone with real experience share their thoughts.

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberThu 16-Sep-10 07:49 AM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DSLR Horror Story"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

You know you aren't the only one to have DOH! moment...I have had many.

I have dropped my N70 onto the concrete pavement with some minor cosmetic scratches. Other than that it was fine...but that was with a film camera.

Obviously, today's DSLRs are chocked full of electronics that probably don't like shocks too much. Having said that, run through your camera, test the metering the exposure modes and various settings - its probably fine. (The floor was carpeted, right?)

Can Nikon tell if its been dropped...maybe...

Is there a problem with the longevity of the camera...probably not.

I would not send it in to be looked at unless you clearly had issues. Depending on when it was purchased and how, you may be covered under an extended warranty with your credit card, if you used one to pay for the camera.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 16-Sep-10 08:38 PM
27231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: DSLR Horror Story"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Derek,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Ouch! Sorry to hear of the accedent.

>1) Can Nikon determine that the camera has been dropped if it ever has to go in for warranty work?

Maybe....Maybe not.

>2) Do you think the longevity of my camera has been jeopordized by my careless, foolish action?

As long as nothing broke it should not.

Nikon has always been known for building very robust tough cameras.
Go through all of the functions and make sure everything works properly.
Anthony's recommendations regarding service and the extended warranty offered by most credit cards are excellent.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #2519 Previous topic | Next topic