Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Melbourne, AU
53 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wotalegend Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2004
Mon 13-Sep-10 12:35 AM | edited Mon 13-Sep-10 06:09 AM by wotalegend

I have a new D3000 on the way and while I wait I have been reading the manual and online reviews, etc. In the manual, as in all Nikon SLR manuals, there is a fairly clear statement of what lenses can be mounted and their degree of compatibility. In there it states that pre-AI lenses can not be mounted at all. However the review at photo.net states the opposite. Is this the case, or did the reviewer not do his homework properly?

It is not of great consequence for me because I only have three pre-AI lenses, two of which I also have in AI/AI-S and the other one is a PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 shift lens which would have limited shift effect on an APS-C sensor (or would it have enhanced shift effect? I'm not sure).

Update: I have the answer, from the man who wrote the photo.net review. It appears that, although the official line from Nikon appears to be that pre-AI lenses can not be used, they can in fact be mounted on recent "entry-level" bodies because the "switch" on the body which is at approximately the eight o'clock position on the lens mount when looked at front-on has been changed from one which moves sideways when tripped by the post on the lens, e.g. as on D100, to one which depresses inwards when contacted by the post on the lens. So the continuous flange on pre-AI lenses just pushes the switch inwards in the direction it is supposed to go.

I am still interested to know whether my PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 will have a diminished shift effect or an enhanced shift effect when mounted on an APS-C body. I will find out for myself when the D3000 arrives.