Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2467
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash only fires in "Auto" mode" Previous topic | Next topic
b_beesley Registered since 08th Sep 2010Wed 08-Sep-10 09:50 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash only fires in "Auto" mode"

GB

Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I'm also pretty new to photography, I've had my D5000 for about a month now. Up until this weekend everything has been going great, however I've run into the first problem I cant answer for myself.

I was at a party last weekend with my camera. I normally shoot in Aperture priority mode, and since I was indoors I was mostly using the flash as well. This was working fine. Later on in the night some friends of mine went outside for a cigar, I decided to follow to get some shots. It was very dark. My camera settings were as follows:

Aperture Priority
f/1.8
ISO A (with no max limit on ISO)
Flash Normal

I framed my shot, focused on my subject, and pressed the shutter release. No dice. The "ISO Auto" indicator flashed at me, the shutter didn't release, the flash didn't fire.

I tried this a few times with a few different compositions, aperture settings, etc, to no avail. I then tried it in "P" mode, again, no luck at getting a shot.

Finally I tried the green "Auto" mode. It did the TTL pre-flash thing then low and behold it worked.

I then copied all the settings it had used on auto, the Aperture, shutter speed, ISO, flash setting and set it up in manual exatly the same as it has auto set itself up, framed the same composition. Back to no luck. The "ISO Auto" indicator flashes at me, the shutter doesn't release, the flash doesn't fire.

Back inside again, in better light, everything starts working again.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? I dont want to have to shoot in auto mode just because I want to shoot in low light with a flash. I want to be able to control the shot myself.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash only fires in "Auto" mode
greenwing Gold Member
08th Sep 2010
b_beesley
08th Sep 2010
MEMcD Moderator
08th Sep 2010
b_beesley
09th Sep 2010
MEMcD Moderator
10th Sep 2010
b_beesley
11th Sep 2010

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Wed 08-Sep-10 05:18 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash only fires in "Auto" mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

My best guess is that the camera couldn't get a focus lock in A or P mode. Perhaps the AF assist helped in Auto? AF is tricky in dark situations. Is the AF assist turned on in your menu?

Chris

b_beesley Registered since 08th Sep 2010Wed 08-Sep-10 08:00 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash only fires in "Auto" mode"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

In the menu "Built in AF Assist Illuminator is on. Should that fire when I'm in A mode in the dark? Do you think if I'd tried it in manual focus it would have worked?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 08-Sep-10 11:39 PM
25585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash only fires in "Auto" mode"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Bill,

The AF-assist Illuminator will only work when in Single Servo AF (AF-S selected for focus mode or single servo AF selected in AF-A focus mode) when Auto Area is selected for AF Area mode or when Single Point, Dynamic Area, or 3D tracking (11 points) is selected and the center focus point is used. See page 155 of the D5000 Users Manual .
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

b_beesley Registered since 08th Sep 2010Thu 09-Sep-10 05:20 AM
#4. "RE: Flash only fires in "Auto" mode"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll have a play with it again tonight when it gets dark.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 10-Sep-10 07:15 PM
25585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flash only fires in "Auto" mode"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Bill,

One thing worth mentioning just to fully cover the bases, is the built in Speedlight pops up automatically in Auto mode but must be Manually popped up in P,S,A, & M exposure modes by pressing the flash button on the front left side of the camera.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

b_beesley Registered since 08th Sep 2010Sat 11-Sep-10 11:27 AM
#6. "RE: Flash only fires in "Auto" mode"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

Thanks for all the help. It was all to do with the auto-focus. As you said, theAF assist light only works when the centre point is selected, bit of a paint in the ass but I guess it'll encourage me to manual focus in future. I knew about having to manually lift the flash but I didn't know anything about the AF assist light. Thanks for the help.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2467 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.