Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2461
View in linear mode

Subject: "memory card/photo file numbering issue" Previous topic | Next topic
chachzilla Registered since 06th Sep 2010Mon 06-Sep-10 11:38 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"memory card/photo file numbering issue"

US

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and to Nikon. I've had my D5000 for a while now. I had taken about 800 photos when I decided to clear my memory card to make room for a wedding shoot, so I was up to about DSC_0800 in terms of file numbers.

So I cleared my card and took about 300 photos at the wedding. To my surprise, I discovered that the numbers started all over again (DSC_0001 - DSC_0300). This is particularly problematic since I already have photos with those numbers on my computer.

Is there a way to manually set the start point of your memory card's numbering. I really wish I could tell my camera that the next photo it takes will be DSC_0801.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who finds this to be a problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

chachzilla Registered since 06th Sep 2010Mon 06-Sep-10 11:56 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: memory card/photo file numbering issue"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I solved half my problem. Apparently there is a setting to set memory card to "Continuous" numbering. Every other camera I ever owned did this by default. It would have been nice to know this had to be set manually.

That's taken care of, so now I just have to get the numbering back on track. Instead of taking 800 more photos to get me back to my numbering, I may try to use a memory card reader to change the numbering of DSC_0001 to DSC_0800. The next photo I take after that should then be DSC_0801. Theoretically, anyway.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 08-Sep-10 03:05 AM
4374 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: memory card/photo file numbering issue"
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, WA, US

Manually renaming the file should get you to where you want to be.

However, I think you are taking the wrong approach to the whole filename idea since you are going to be in trouble at DSC_9999.

By using downloader software you can rename the files to a unique name during the transfer from the memory card. I use "Downloader Pro" from BreezeSys.com. Since 99% of my shoots do not span dates, I have the software rename the files based on the shoot date from DSC_nnnn to yyyymmdd_nnnn and then I reset the file counter for each shoot. This way I do not worry about rollovers and always get unique names.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

chachzilla Registered since 06th Sep 2010Wed 08-Sep-10 06:03 AM
#3. "RE: memory card/photo file numbering issue"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into the downloader you mentioned. That helps a lot since the only other way I knew to rename a batch of files was to duplicate them (adding "copy" to the end of each file), which isn't exactly ideal.

b_beesley Registered since 08th Sep 2010Wed 08-Sep-10 09:57 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: memory card/photo file numbering issue"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

You have a couple of other options as well. If you're on a Mac, iPhoto will automatically sort your files into folders when you import them. It either bases the folder name on the date the photo was take, or the "Event" name if you give it one.

Failing that, you can manually organise the shots. Just open up your SD card in your card reader, set the folder view to details, arrange icons by date modified, then manually drag them into folders on your PC named with the dates the shot was taken.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2461 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.