Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #236
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000,Silver,Hello" Previous topic | Next topic
Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Fri 05-Jun-09 05:35 PM
2532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000,Silver,Hello"

US

Hope this goes in D5000 threads.Hello to all Nikonians ! (I joined as a Silver).I recieved my D5000 w/ 18-55VR,55-200VR two days ago, and my TOKINA 10-17 ff fisheye zoom lens IS ON THE WAY !!!(BASICLY)this is my first digital SLR.Note;that focal plain is THIN compaired to my P+S's.I mainly like 5;4 , also 1;1 square,round-which for now will be conversions,and 2;1!,and I'll have to put up with 3;2 . I hope to post images soon,(that's fun - of any new camera),also I'll have to see HOW TO.I wouldn't mind an into to me for members - I'm on Flickr - I have three sets , 200 images total.But first I'll make sure it's OK, also 2/3rds of those photos are NOT Nikon.I'm in a local camera club ,but mainly I like to do digital slideshows w/ music ... Larry Hope you get to see this pick of first (at home)images ...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 05-Jun-09 07:39 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000,Silver,Hello"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 05-Jun-09 07:40 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The "Focal Plane", DOF - Depth of Field, is a function of a number of items. If you keep the focal length of the lens, the f stop and the distance to the subject the same, you will find that the D5000 has a greater Depth of Field than you P&S as well as a closer Hyperfocal distance. You might want to look at DOF Master for more information about DOF and the Hyperfocal distance and how to calculate the DOF and Hyperfocal length.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 05-Jun-09 08:58 PM
26769 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000,Silver,Hello"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Larry,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D5000!
As George said, DOF is a function of the Aperture, focal length, and camera to subject distance. A DSLR will allow you to control the DOF. The smaller the Aperture (larger the f/# eg. f/16) the greater the DOF. The larger the Aperture (smaller the f/# eg. f/2.8) the narrower the DOF.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sat 06-Jun-09 10:18 PM
2753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000,Silver,Hello"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Love the photo of the cat, Larry. Sharp face, and the rest of the cat just seems to fade into the background. Very effective as a black and white!

Randy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #236 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.