nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Advice needed on whether to buy new lens

choli

HK
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
choli Registered since 20th Aug 2010
Fri 20-Aug-10 01:13 PM | edited Fri 20-Aug-10 01:32 PM by choli

hi,

I just bought the D3000 a few days ago, I ve got the 18-55mm kit lens and an AF 85mm f/1.8 i used to own for my film camera (F 601, i ve only got basic photographing skills) a long time ago. The main reason for buying the D3000 is to take photos of my 3 months old baby and my dog.

I used the kit lens for taking pictures of my baby and dog, however, i found the depth of field is not shallow enough at around 35mm and 55mm. While i use the 85mm lens, i can take pictures with shallow depth of field, but it is hard to focus manually and the focal length becomes too long (85mm x 1.5).As such, the photos are always blurred.

I then have quite a few questions:
In order to take good portrait photos (with bokeh), should i invest on buying the Nikon AFS 35mm f/1.8 lens? Or any other good lens at around $300?
Or am i using the kit lens incorrectly ( i m using the A mode)?
Is there any way to improve my manual focus skill? Cos i think the 85mm lens is of better quality than the kit lens.
What is the best focal length for taking pictures of babies and dogs?

Thanks in advance, i am very confused.

regards,
Olivia

G