Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2321
View in linear mode

Subject: "REALLY---D3100!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
VancouverPicman Registered since 11th Aug 2010Thu 19-Aug-10 10:16 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"REALLY---D3100!!!!"
Fri 20-Aug-10 07:35 PM by jrp

Vancouver, CA

Really, thats the big announcement everyone has been waiting for?!?!?!
Just what we need, another over priced DX.
Just saying.
All the hype, in all the forums, to wait to buy until the BIG announcement, another DX with video that probably only takes 10 minutes and overheats likes the others.
Is it really going help drop the price of the other Nikons?
I seriously think not, and if it does, not much.
Now, don't get me wrong here, I am PRO Nikon and have not yet tested or read any reviews, and I won't bother now, but, this sure doesn't help anyone that's on the fence about making a decision to get into digital or looking to upgrade.
My apologies for making anyone a tad upset here, but , really take a look here and think---should there have been something at least in a more affordable FX camera.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!
km6xz Moderator
20th Aug 2010
TUKWILAGORILLA2 Silver Member
24th Aug 2010
Covey22 Moderator
20th Aug 2010
SVA
20th Aug 2010
MEMcD Moderator
20th Aug 2010
MEMcD Moderator
20th Aug 2010
lovemy8514 Silver Member
20th Aug 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
22nd Aug 2010
ssmumich00
23rd Aug 2010
VancouverPicman
24th Aug 2010
MEMcD Moderator
24th Aug 2010
km6xz Moderator
24th Aug 2010
cswann1
24th Aug 2010
km6xz Moderator
25th Aug 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
25th Aug 2010

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 20-Aug-10 12:22 AM
3339 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

What is not great about this level of upgrade, it is a significant enhancement, not just a modest refresh?

If you are not interested in to, others are. Suddenly an entry level camera that raises the bar on minimum performance levels of the class. Millions will be sold as soon as the distribution channel is filled.

Are you assuming this is the only model change to be announced? The press release was only scheduled 2 weeks ago and at the same time hints of additional press releases in September. Some people have known about the new models for months, field testing, writing advanced reviews etc. but are under the terms of non-disclosure contracts.

The strongest hints concerned an upgrade to the D90 which is eagerly awaited because the camera has been a monster success that affect millions of users. The D5000 will be dead without a refresh almost immediately because the D3100 will cannibalize the market for a mid level consumer cameras.

It is also obvious that a lot of model repositioning is going to happen soon because they can't allow their lowest priced entry level camera to have higher performance than their next 2 levels up, and best video of any model, and resolution only topped by their limited production D3x costing 11 times as much. For new buyers who do not care about focus motors, the D3100 just stopped D5000 and D90 sales and for video shooters, it has stopped D300s sales.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TUKWILAGORILLA2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2007Tue 24-Aug-10 02:18 AM
153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Tukwila (Seattle), US

When I get out (New York City and Seattle this summer) I see almost exclusively Nikon small DSLRs. As James suggests, this may be the profit Nikon needs to fund the better cameras we desire.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 20-Aug-10 03:08 AM
10651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

...should there have been something at least in a more affordable FX camera.

Nikon's announcements aren't over yet. Although, the idea of "affordable FX" when the yields of a typical full-frame sensors are anywhere from 2-3x more expensive than top of the line DX sensors still puts it in the province of USD 2000-3000. I wouldn't count on an FX camera with semi-pro features anywhere south of those numbers for a while...

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

SVA Registered since 26th Jun 2004Fri 20-Aug-10 05:25 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

A new DX sensor - in an entry-level camera. No more new semi-pro DX?

Vladimir
Russian Nikonian in Switzerland

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 20-Aug-10 08:19 PM
26084 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Vladimir,

Remember Photokina is only a month away (Sept. 21-26) and the most likely venue for any new Semi-Pro or Pro Bodies to be introduced.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 20-Aug-10 08:29 PM
26084 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Blair,

Remember that the D3000, D3100, D5000 lines are Nikon's volume leaders by a large margin. With Photokina only a month away, I am sure there is much more in the pipeline. The D90, D300S, and D700 are all due for an update.

As for an affordable FX body: the D700 already fills that role. I just don't see FX prices dropping very much in the near future. Remember Sony has stopped working on future FX models due to expected demand. I am sure cost of production and retail prices have contributed to that decision.

Best Regards,
Marty

lovemy8514 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2007Fri 20-Aug-10 11:34 PM
2417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Columbia, US

Nikon is doing the right thing. Get new shooters using Nikon gear, and more consumer nikon lenses and bodies will sell. The power of 'word of mouth'! The more consumer bodies they sell, the more money they make. The more money they make, the more money they can put towards developing their higher-end lines and a cheaper FX body. Nikon's funds are far more limited than Canon's, and so Nikon has to play it a bit more safe in the marketplace. I guarantee they want to compete with Canon's moderately-priced FX body. It just takes them more time.

As for the 3100 being over-priced. I think you'll find that for the features it is actually under-priced compared to the 'othe' guys similar body and lens kits. The 3100 video is also the first of it's kind in terms of auto-focusing abilities.

The nice thing is that if the D3100 has 1080p, any camera to follow will most likely have 1080p as well. That should pacify the videoSLR crowd.

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 22-Aug-10 03:44 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

I just ordered one lightweight camera combo for Hiking, Trips, and VideoCam.
The D3100 is dirt cheap to me and will replace the 5D2.
If it can back up my Event camera (D3), I will sell The 5D2 kit with backpack and 5 Sigma lens.
I will then use the money to replace my second D3 with a D3s, D700s, or D4.

ssmumich00 Registered since 20th Mar 2009Mon 23-Aug-10 04:23 PM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

US

my thoughts exactly - great cheap hiking lens, and the AF-movie+1080p feature are great. . .I need something light and small on vacation/hiking/etc. My D3 is great, but just too darn large

VancouverPicman Registered since 11th Aug 2010Tue 24-Aug-10 03:07 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

Ok so I will agree with a lot of statements so far, and, as I stated, I kind of jumped the gun a little. It is a pretty good "value" camera.
I will state however, that Nikon has never been afraid of competition(in my opinion) especially when it comes down to money, release timing or being the first to establish themselves in the NEW tech market/latest foray in innovation. I am simply stating that as of late they are seriously falling behind Canon by leaps and bounds. That being said, I am, always have been, AND, always will be a Nikon user----PERIOD!!!
Thank you all for your replies, they were all appreciated, although no more are needed!!!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 24-Aug-10 03:47 AM
#11. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Blair,

>I am simply stating that as of late they are seriously falling
>behind Canon by leaps and bounds.

?

Aside from video capability which has been addressed with the D3100 and I am sure all future introductions, I just don't see how Nikon is falling behind Canon.
The D3X performs significantly better than the 1Ds mk III, the D3S outperforms the 1D mk IV on every level.
The only advantage the 5D mk II has over the D700 is a few more mega pixels and video, however the metering system, AF, system, and low light capability of the D700 outperform the 5D mk II by a very wide margin. The D300/D300S still perform well when compared to the newer 7D, and 50D.
The quality of Nikkor lenses outperforms the competition and Nikon is slowly filling in the missing gaps in the range with superior offerings.

Best Regards,
Marty

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 24-Aug-10 06:35 AM
3339 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

St Petersburg, RU

What Canon has done is shift its development towards feature creep that are marketing points, but in none of the critical photo taking elements are they advancing or overtaking Nikon at any price point.
Despite the ads claiming that they finally fixed the across-the-line AF weaknesses with the 7D, it has had more than one software bug fix and still does not work decently in low light. They claim high ISO figures for most of their camera but those figures came from no lab, they surely were invented by the marketing department. Compare the real world shots at high ISO and low light between the 102k settings of the D3s vs the 1d4. It is as if every thing in the spec column of the Canon was multiplied by 4. Compare the build quality of the D700 to the 5DII, or AF, noise, or even freedom from NR artifacts.
Or consider the bizarre nature of the 1d4 af that was intended for action/sports that can't auto focus on moving red objects....such as 1/2 the sports teams in the world.

If the price comes down a little for a street price, I would be tempted to get a D3100 as a powerful alternative to a p&s for hikes and out bicycling, fitted with a 35 1.8. Looks pretty impressive to me. It would fit in a small belt holster nicely or even in my cargo pockets on my cycling shorts. I predict that sell a million of them in the next 6 months.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

cswann1 Registered since 17th Jul 2010Tue 24-Aug-10 05:08 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue 24-Aug-10 05:12 PM by cswann1

Hutto, US

>Ok so I will agree with a lot of statements so far, and, as I
>stated, I kind of jumped the gun a little. It is a pretty good
>"value" camera.
>I will state however, that Nikon has never been afraid of
>competition(in my opinion) especially when it comes down to
>money, release timing or being the first to establish
>themselves in the NEW tech market/latest foray in innovation.
>I am simply stating that as of late they are seriously falling
>behind Canon by leaps and bounds. That being said, I am,
>always have been, AND, always will be a Nikon
>user----PERIOD!!!
>Thank you all for your replies, they were all appreciated,
>although no more are needed!!!

Well needed or not, I'm going to offer a reply to your statement about "falling behind by leaps and bounds". I disagree. Canon is working to bring their line up to Nikon levels as far as ergonomics (which Nikon has always dominated) but the image quality between any two camera's in a competing price point are so close as to not even merit an argument from either side. Both companies are in such fierce competition that they both make great tools and we as the consumer win as a result.

The new model is a bargain as far as I can tell. I paid $750 for my D90 and when I saw the release of the D3100 I was a bit jealous. 14MP, 1080P vid with auto-focus and a lens for $700: Looks like a heck of a deal to me.

I'm not sure what your motivation was for this thread, but opinions are always valuable at some level, provided that they are grounded on use or experience, rather than knee-jerk emotional reaction.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 25-Aug-10 04:57 AM
#14. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 13

St Petersburg, RU

I am still at a loss as to how the claim that the two companies are producing indistinguishable IQ cameras.
On-line spec sheets show the Canon products ahead, but real world use in less than ideal conditions,they are on different levels.
Just in my limited range of use, in dark events and clubs, my lowly D90 runs circles around the fellow shooters who have more experience and more invested using 7D's and 5dII's. I get a high keeper rate, they are lucky to get 50% with acceptable focus. Not only are the vast majority of mine in focus, needing to delete only a few per 100 shots, maybe 4. I delete even less due to poor exposure. At the end of the night I have 400 shots that subjects want and prize, after weeding out the missed AF shots, the poor metering, and the high noise shots, they get a handful. They are pros whose income depends on getting the shots and I am just an inexperienced amateur. One recently came to me to show off his new D300s after getting frustrated with poor keeper rate with his much bragged about 5dII. I loaned him my 70-200 and the spare SB900 for the evening and he immediately started getting the the shots consistently that were hit or miss before. He was so excited by the prospect of shooting and not worrying about whether it was in focus or well exposed. That is just in my little realm of event shooting. I hear the same sorts of problems with basic photography element: focus, exposure, durability and noise at the local camera club where Canon out number Nikon by a lot because Canon is a lot cheaper than Nikon here. A D90 is $2000. A 5dII is $2600. My friend, the new D300s owner kept repeating how much more of a pro camera the D300s felt like, mot a plastic gimmick box.
Canon has made a calculated decision to create products that look best on the internet sales sites with impressive feature lists yet making each new model cheaper in construction and not bothering to fix the long standing problems with basic functions like AF. For some buyers, a lot, that works quite well, they never see a camera before receiving it mail order so do not know the difference in feel and function between different brands.
Canon's biggest seller is the 1000d. comparing to a similar priced D3100, both functionality and feature list type buyers will see the difference, in the hand or on a web feature list. The D3100 is going to be a winner.

So please give specific details from which you conclude that the two brands and market/product philosophies are the same with indistinguishable results. I see, on the other hand, an ever widening gulf.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 25-Aug-10 05:39 AM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: REALLY---D3100!!!!"
In response to Reply # 14

Monterey Bay, US

Stan, that was an interesting rant.

My personal experience (I sold my D90 to buy a 5D2) is that
Canon over hypes their products while Nikon has always exceeded my expectations.
The 21mp Canon gives me 5% better shots than a 12mp Nikon.
20% as good and the rest are throw a ways unless I manually focus while using a tripod.
I kept 95% of my hand held D90 shots.
The high ISO experience is about the same although Canon claims to be better.
There is no contest on focusing, especially in low light.
The D90 is a easy winner.

The Canon does give me superior Video.

We will soon see how the D3100 compares to a camera that cost many times as much.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2321 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.