Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2305
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus point" Previous topic | Next topic
kbarnett Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2009Mon 16-Aug-10 11:12 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus point"

Stanthorpe, AU

The focus point on my D5000 ssems to move to any of the 11 points without me doing anything (at least to my knowledge). Is it possible to lock it in place? or can someone tell me why it is moving?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focus point
cgilyeat
16th Aug 2010
avnphoto
19th Aug 2010
kbarnett Silver Member
19th Aug 2010
km6xz Moderator
20th Aug 2010
kbarnett Silver Member
20th Aug 2010
cyberwasp
24th Aug 2010
MEMcD Moderator
24th Aug 2010
kbarnett Silver Member
24th Aug 2010

cgilyeat Registered since 18th Jun 2010Mon 16-Aug-10 11:57 AM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus point"
In response to Reply # 0

Waldorf, US

>The focus point on my D5000 ssems to move to any of the 11
>points without me doing anything (at least to my knowledge).
>Is it possible to lock it in place? or can someone tell me why
>it is moving?
I have noticed that if I am not carfull, the heel of my thumb will bump the focus point adjustment. I don't think that there is any way to lock it in place. It'a just a matter of keeping your hand from accidentally moving it.

avnphoto Registered since 15th Aug 2010Thu 19-Aug-10 04:10 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus point"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

I am having the same trouble with my D3000. Agree with cgilyeat - the thumb problem.

kbarnett Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2009Thu 19-Aug-10 06:19 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus point"
In response to Reply # 2

Stanthorpe, AU

Well, it's very annoying. You'd think it wouldn't be too hard to be able to lock it in place somehow, wouldn't you?

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 20-Aug-10 12:43 AM
3297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Focus point"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

What AF mode are you in? In the dynamic focus point modes(like 3D, Dynamic and Auto Area) pressing the OK button re centers the focus point. The manual point selection control is normally active so if you bump it, the focus point will change.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

kbarnett Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2009Fri 20-Aug-10 09:48 PM
#5. "RE: Focus point"
In response to Reply # 4

Stanthorpe, AU

I'm using dynamic mode, maybe that's the problem.
I will change it to single point and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks for your help.

cyberwasp Registered since 15th Aug 2010Tue 24-Aug-10 04:08 PM
#6. "RE: Focus point"
In response to Reply # 5

US

switch to single point mode and put in in the center. Then put subject in center, push shutter release half way and hold, "locks it in," reframe and shoot

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 24-Aug-10 04:21 PM
25659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Focus point"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Keith,

If you are a left eye shooter, you nose may be bumping the multi-selector, though I have not used the D5000 or D3000 enough to know if it is a problem on those bodies or not.
If your nose is not the problem using a single AF point should solve the problem.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

kbarnett Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2009Tue 24-Aug-10 09:02 PM
#8. "RE: Focus point"
In response to Reply # 7

Stanthorpe, AU

Thanks Marty, I'll try that.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2305 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.