Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2265
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 & Nikonian Newbie" Previous topic | Next topic
YungD5000 Registered since 06th Aug 2010Fri 06-Aug-10 03:55 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 & Nikonian Newbie"

US

Hello fellow Nikonians,

I just recently purchased a D5000 and stumbled across this forum while searching the web. I've never owned a d-SLR so I hope to gain some knowledge from the forums. I purchased the camera for work/personal use, and partially because I use adobe creative suite daily for my job (Marketing/Graphics). I'm sure the D5000 will be a nice compliment for my graphics and marketing work. I'm not real sure all of what is discussed in the forums but I imagine that a lot of good information is shared here. If anybody has any suggestions for what accessories I should have starting out please share. Right now in my pack I have the D5000 with the stock 52mm 18-55 lens, Nikon D5000 digital field guide (book), UV filter, Polarized filter, and Neutral Density filter. Future purchases: Tripod & 8-Point filter. I have a very tight budget...life of a recent college grad lol! So be easy on me!

Looking forward to learning and taking great shots!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 06-Aug-10 04:33 AM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 & Nikonian Newbie"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Thanks for the intro.
You should consider getting a microfiber lens cleaning cloth and a Giottos Rocket Blower.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

YungD5000 Registered since 06th Aug 2010Fri 06-Aug-10 12:50 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 & Nikonian Newbie"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the reply Marty, I actually have a micro-fiber cloth I've been using that was originally for my LCD T.V. What purpose does the blower have? I'm guessing it blows dust and filaments off the lens?

Thanks,

-Kelly

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 06-Aug-10 02:56 PM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 & Nikonian Newbie"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Kelly,

I have a microfiber lens cloth that is used exclusively for my lenses. I don't want to risk getting contaminants from something else on the elements of my lenses.
Yes! The Rocket Blower can be used to blow dust off of the lens. It can also be used to clean dust off of the sensor. Most of the time a Rocket Blower will be enough to clean the dust off of the sensor. For stubborn dust particles or pollen, the sensor will usually require a wet cleaning using special swabs and fluid designed for sensor cleaning. Using the wrong product can easily dammage the sensor, and a significant repair bill.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2265 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.