Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2255
View in linear mode

Subject: "Not sure where to put this, but this is my guess" Previous topic | Next topic
dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Wed 04-Aug-10 11:21 PM
1496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Not sure where to put this, but this is my guess"

Roland, US

A friend ask for help finding an SLR as an entry level camera. She has kids in primary grades. Wants video if she can get it for the price. It needs to be automatic so that she can use it ROFTB. She knows a little and can shoot a pretty good image with my D200 if I set it for her. Her budget including initial lens option is 500-800 range. I have cards for her, so she just needs something like a kit. She also wants to grow with it a bit, but not be forced to climb a steep learning curve just to get going. My D200 makes her nervous. In a pinch I could give her my 35-70, but I think the range is too limited, especially for DX. I've already given away a 28-105 which would have been better. Sorry for the long post.

David

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 04-Aug-10 11:49 PM
25649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Not sure where to put this, but this is my guess"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 04-Aug-10 11:50 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi David,

The D5000 with an 18-105mm VR would be well above your price point.
The D5000 with an 18-55mm VR or 55-200mm VR is within the budget.
Also the D5000 with an 18-55mm and 55-200mm is priced at about $849.00 or so.
The D5000 has Auto exposure mode as well as several Vari-Program (Pictogram) exposure mode in addition to P,S,A, and M modes. It can be used like a P & S or a DSLR.
To save more you could also get a factory referbished body and lens.
Be aware that the D5000 does not have an AF motor built into the camera body and requires AF-S lenses to AF.
The D90 bodies are in the same price range though without a lens but will AF with All but 2 Nikon F mount AF lenses.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Thu 05-Aug-10 04:32 PM
1496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Not sure where to put this, but this is my guess"
In response to Reply # 1

Roland, US

Thanks Marty.

David

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2255 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.