nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #2227
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 metering problem" Previous topic | Next topic
clayolmstead   Austin, US  Registered since 21st Jul 2010 Sun 01-Aug-10 12:13 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 metering problem"

I have a 7-month old D5000. Occasionally the first picture I take after power-up is completely blown out; all other pictures taken at the same settings are OK. Looking at the metadata, I see that the aperture was set to wide open on the first picture. This happened with two lenses, in aperture priority mode; it happened twice with the camera on a tripod - I didn't touch anything but the cable release. The lighting conditions didn't change. It happened with two different AF-S G lenses: 35mm f1.8 and 18-70mm. Has anybody else come across this?

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 metering problem MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
01st Aug 2010
Reply message RE: D5000 metering problem clayolmstead
01st Aug 2010
01st Aug 2010
     Reply message RE: D5000 metering problem MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
01st Aug 2010
Reply message RE: D5000 metering problem blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
01st Aug 2010
02nd Aug 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Sun 01-Aug-10 02:54 AM
27447 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 metering problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Clay,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
Do you have the aperture set wide open in Aperture priority mode?
In other words is the Aperture in the second image the same as the first?
If the Aperture is changing without changing the settings, it could be the stop down mechanism in the camera is sticking.
Nikon Service should have no problem getting it fixed under warranty.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

clayolmstead   Austin, US  Registered since 21st Jul 2010 Sun 01-Aug-10 05:37 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 metering problem"
In response to Reply # 1

No, in one case I had it on f8 and the other f13. It just happened again, this time on shutter priority.

clayolmstead   Austin, US  Registered since 21st Jul 2010 Sun 01-Aug-10 05:40 AM
#3. "RE: D5000 metering problem"
In response to Reply # 2

I sent the inquiry into the Nikon support page, too - I'm hoping this is a quick fix. Thanks.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Sun 01-Aug-10 06:10 AM
27447 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 metering problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Clay,

If that is the case, a sticking stop down mechanism in the body could be the cause of your problem. Since you said it happens with both lenses should eliminate the likelyhood of a sticking aperture diaphragm in the lens.
Good Luck and Wnjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Sun 01-Aug-10 07:04 PM
27003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D5000 metering problem"
In response to Reply # 0

You should repeat the experiment with the lens set wide open. That will tell you if it's an aperture mechanism problem or a metering issue.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

clayolmstead   Austin, US  Registered since 21st Jul 2010 Mon 02-Aug-10 12:46 AM
#6. "RE: D5000 metering problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Good idea. I'll give that a try. Fortunately or unfortunately, it happens very irregularly, so it might take a while to gather a useful amount of data.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #2227 Previous topic | Next topic