Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2186
View in linear mode

Subject: "Video Playback on d5000 has audio hissing" Previous topic | Next topic
pwrofted Registered since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 22-Jul-10 12:44 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Video Playback on d5000 has audio hissing"

US

I've tried taking quite a few live video shots on my d5000 but all my videos have audio problems. The hissing sound is always present on playback and i have to minimize the audio to hear the sound. Am i missing some setup, or is my d5000 defective? I bought my camera used on ebay and it only has 5K shutter count

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Video Playback on d5000 has audio hissing
km6xz Moderator
25th Jul 2010
pwrofted
26th Jul 2010
JosephK Silver Member
27th Jul 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
27th Jul 2010
pwrofted
27th Jul 2010

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 25-Jul-10 05:25 PM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Video Playback on d5000 has audio hissing"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

There is a limiter and crude compression that would increase noise if there is no or low audio being picked up by the mic. But from my guessing that the sound is similar to a D90, actually the D5000 ought to be a little better, the noise level generated by the recorder and mic preamplifier is pretty low.
If you record a clip in a quiet room and then speak loudly near the mic sound port, how much change in volume do you hear when shifting from ambient noise to loud voice? Could you post the noise sound and a quiet room recording that has normal speaking voices within about 5 feet of it? That would allow a comparison of noise floor to nominal signal level. I suppose you would need to post it to an FTP site for us to download.

A few things to note is that the mic is intended for controlled environments. Outdoors usually has way too much wind and air movement noise to record without a high level of noise unless special noise cancelling or wind adapted mic covers are used. Make your tests in a quiet room.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pwrofted Registered since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 26-Jul-10 11:00 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Video Playback on d5000 has audio hissing"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I did have some video's created indoors and when i played them back i don't hear the hissing noise. I'm only hearing the hissing sound when taking outdoor video's. So i guess d5000 has problems recording outdoor videos due to wind/air movement? I don't think the d5000 can accept a plug-in device for noise cancelling microphone, is it possible?

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 27-Jul-10 09:37 PM
4612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Video Playback on d5000 has audio hissing"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

The general oppinion seems to be that all DSLRs by all the makers have bad internal audio systems. For anything less than 100% controled environments, you end up needing external mics at a minimum. At least from what I have been reading in multiple sites/forums.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 27-Jul-10 09:44 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Video Playback on d5000 has audio hissing"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 27-Jul-10 09:49 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

And that is why professionals have those dust mops on long poles when outside. You need a a windscreen of some kind over the microphone.

You might want to consider an external microphone with a windscreen and vibration isolation mount.

Next would be a stabilization and follower system to improve the video and a stereo recording system that you could sync to and overlay the camera's mono recording.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

pwrofted Registered since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 27-Jul-10 10:54 PM
#5. "RE: Video Playback on d5000 has audio hissing"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for all the comments. I guess i just have to record videos from my real video recorder rather than tying to make use of d5000 video recording option, Or mute the sound when video recording on d5000 outdoors

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2186 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.