Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #218
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 silent mode - anyone try it yet?" Previous topic | Next topic
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Tue 26-May-09 01:57 AM
3496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 silent mode - anyone try it yet?"

US

I'm interested in knowing from users if you've tried the new silent mode and what you think of it. To me, this is the coolest feature of this camera, and something that makes it stand out from all other Nikon DSLRs.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 silent mode - anyone try it yet?
Floridian Silver Member
27th May 2009
ZoneV Silver Member
27th May 2009
Floridian Silver Member
27th May 2009
thosmm
04th Jun 2009
               Reply message RE: D5000 silent mode & Beep
monteverde_org Silver Member
05th Jul 2009
jhatha
16th Jul 2009
thosmm
17th Jul 2009
jhatha
17th Jul 2009

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 27-May-09 02:28 AM
2735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 silent mode - anyone try it yet?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I don't know anything about silent mode. What is it? (I also don't have a D5000.) I always turn the sound off on my cameras, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Randy

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 27-May-09 02:47 AM
3496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 silent mode - anyone try it yet?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>I don't know anything about silent mode. What is it? (I
>also don't have a D5000.) I always turn the sound off on my
>cameras, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Well, it's a special mode that is new on the D5000. It slows down the mirror so that you don't hear as much sound intensity.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 27-May-09 05:13 PM
2735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 silent mode - anyone try it yet?"
In response to Reply # 2

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Sounds like a great feature! Sometimes when I've used my camera in a really quiet environment I've wished it was quieter, and it looks like the D5000 addresses this. I'll be interested to hear from D5000 users how effective this is.

Randy

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Thu 04-Jun-09 01:09 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 silent mode - anyone try it yet?"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 04-Jun-09 01:10 AM by thosmm

Spring Hill, US

I just tried Q mode and it does things a little differently than S mode. First, there is no 'beep' from the camera as it autofocuses. Second, when you release the shutter, the mirror seems to swing up more softly and doesn't come down until you release the shutter button.

Sound is less in Q mode, but mostly because of the lack of the 'beep'. The mirror noise is about the same for each motion, but since the return can be delayed, it seems quieter.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

monteverde_org Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2007Sun 05-Jul-09 10:45 PM
1283 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5000 silent mode & Beep"
In response to Reply # 4

Monteverde Cloud Forest, CR

Thomas, you can also disable all beeping (focus confirmation, timer & remote) with CUSTOM SETTING MENU > SHOOTING/DISPLAY > d1. See page 158 in the user manual.

Ken Rockwell says here: "In its Quiet Mode, the D5000 is the quietest Nikon ever (SLR)... slows down the mirrors and mechanical junk that has to fly around inside the D5000, which makes it much quieter. This adds a tiny delay between when you press the shutter and when the mirror flips up and the picture gets taken".

If you keep pressing the shutter release button after the shot, for how long does the mirror stay up before automatically dropping down?

Jacques

My Nikonians gallery

jhatha Registered since 16th Jul 2009Thu 16-Jul-09 11:24 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5000 silent mode - anyone try it yet?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't find that it is a totally silent mode. Am I doing something wrong? I selected the mode, but I can still hear the shutter.???

Thanks,
Jim Hathaway
jhatha@gmail.com

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Fri 17-Jul-09 07:49 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5000 silent mode - anyone try it yet?"
In response to Reply # 6

Spring Hill, US

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The Quiet mode is quieter than normal operation, but it's still not silent by any stretch of the imagination.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

jhatha Registered since 16th Jul 2009Fri 17-Jul-09 10:28 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5000 silent mode - anyone try it yet?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

TM,

Thanks for the explanation. I thought when I first read about it that silent meant "silent" and that would be too good to be true.

Jim Hathaway

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #218 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.