nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #2160
View in linear mode

Subject: "Write Speed" Previous topic | Next topic
bugaboo2   Alamogordo, US  Registered since 03rd Feb 2010 Thu 15-Jul-10 12:33 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Write Speed"

I have had my D5000 since January of this year, when I bought it, I picked up an 8gb memory card, a ScanDisk Ultra 15mb/s rating. Within the last week or so, it has started taking 10-15 seconds to write long exposures to the card, and when I go to multiple release mode, it tells me I only have 2 pictures remaining, and when I hold the shutter release down, it slows down very quickly. I am wondering if the problem is with the card, or the camera? Files transfer from the camera at the same rate they always have, so I am led to believe it may be the camera? Thank you for any help you may provide.

Dave

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bugaboo2   Alamogordo, US  Registered since 03rd Feb 2010 Thu 15-Jul-10 12:45 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Write Speed"
In response to Reply # 0

Answered my own question, long exposure noise reduction will cause a serious slowdown, seems to be back to normal.

Dave

vindex1963   Phoenix, US  Registered since 27th Jan 2008 Fri 16-Jul-10 04:22 AM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Write Speed"
In response to Reply # 1

yes that will do it...I also found that out

bugaboo2   Alamogordo, US  Registered since 03rd Feb 2010 Mon 19-Jul-10 12:32 AM
#3. "RE: Write Speed"
In response to Reply # 2

Amazing how one setting can have so much effect.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Mon 19-Jul-10 04:23 PM
27433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Write Speed"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi Dave,

When using Long Exposure Noise Reduction, the camera will capture a second image using the same shutter speed and use the second image to find the noise and remove it from the first image. In effect doubling the processing time and significantly reducing the capacity of the buffer.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #2160 Previous topic | Next topic