Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2098
View in linear mode

Subject: "What to bring to Disney World?" Previous topic | Next topic
sbninja Registered since 13th Jun 2010Tue 06-Jul-10 08:31 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What to bring to Disney World?"

US

Hi all,
I am going on vacation to Disney World and Universal Studios in about 2 weeks.
I plan on taking my new Nikon D5000.

I have 3 lenses. 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR kit lenses - I also have a Nikkor 35mm f1.8. Should I take all 3? Or maybe just the 35mm f1.8 and the 55-200mm?
Should I also bring my SB-600? Any advice is much appreciated -
Thank you.

BTW all the above fits in my Lowepro Fastpack 100.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What to bring to Disney World?
Floridian Silver Member
06th Jul 2010
djxcaliber
07th Jul 2010
sbninja
08th Jul 2010
JosephK Silver Member
08th Jul 2010
Covey22 Moderator
09th Jul 2010
BrianS Silver Member
13th Jul 2010
pdekman Gold Member
20th Jul 2010

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Tue 06-Jul-10 09:33 PM
2726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What to bring to Disney World?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

If you don't mind carrying them, take all three. I went last year and only took my 18-200VR, which was great for everything, except that I would have liked to have had the 35 f1.8 at night. I think the 18-55 would be more useful than the 55-200, but if it's easy to take both, why not? And, the 35 is so small and light that you might as well take it for night shooting.

That said, I suspect you're going for a vacation, possibly with family or others, and its not really a photo trip. It's just a vacation on which you want to take pictures. So, you could take just the 18-55, travel light, still get some great photos, and enjoy your vacation.

Randy

djxcaliber Registered since 14th Jun 2010Wed 07-Jul-10 12:11 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What to bring to Disney World?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I agree. If you don't mind carrying all three, then do so. Bear in mind that it's the summer and that traveling light is a heavy consideration, so you may want to research which places you really want to take pictures.

Your lens choices, the 35mm and the 55-200mm is probably best for almost all situations (especially with the versatile options you'd get with the 35mm's f1.8). The days in DW are filled with beautiful color contrasts. If you think the sunny commercial vacation posters and adverstisement pictures are awesome, wait until you get there. You'll have the opportunity to create your own!

Evenings at DW are a great place to practice night shots, especially with the gorgeous sunsets that juxtapose the international buildings in the World Showcase. You can have an infinite amount of backgrounds to make memorable photos. The same can be said of the scenery.

Just a suggestion: The night shows are awesome, but can be a challenge to capture. The SB-600 may not be useful if you're going to take pictures of the night show at the World Showcase. Actually, unless you really really want to bring it along, I'd leave it in the hotel.

Ok, I've babbled long enough. Have fun and post some pics in Nikonians

--allan

Plans are nothing; "planning" is everything.

sbninja Registered since 13th Jun 2010Thu 08-Jul-10 03:42 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What to bring to Disney World?"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 08-Jul-10 03:44 AM by sbninja

US

Thanks! I definitely don't want to take away from my family's vacation. I will be conscious of Fun first pics second

Being as all I listed fits into the Lowepro fastpack 100,and that I am a newbie (like a kid with a new toy) I will just take everything. If I don't use one item, no biggie. I also have a spare battery and spare memory cards.

Thanks again!

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 08-Jul-10 07:23 AM
4461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What to bring to Disney World?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Based on my experience at Disney World, most of my shots were done with the 18-70mm. Take all the gear, but you don't need to carry it all all the time. My telephoto, flash, and 50mm f/1.4 did get used, but outside the park at other shows.

While at Disney, take advantage of the staff photographers. They are everywhere, will give you a magnetic "photo" card to track your photos so that you can buy the photos later (or get them all on one CD).

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 09-Jul-10 09:26 PM
10643 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What to bring to Disney World?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'd carry the 18-55 and the 35. Theme parks usually call for more wide-shots than tele. The most fun I had was actually doing Disney using nothing but a 12-24 - it was a blast just holding the camera up a little in the Rocket Rides at Tomorrowland and taking WA shots of myself and my kids mid-air with the park in the background. The 35 is there for when the light drops (indoors and after dusk).

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

BrianS Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2007Tue 13-Jul-10 02:02 AM
539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What to bring to Disney World?"
In response to Reply # 5

Longmeadow, US

I went to Disney last fall.
All I had with me was my wifes Coolpix P&S as I wanted to travel light.
If I had a chance to do it over again I would buy a D5000 with the kit lens and be done with it.

Bringing the 35 f/1.8 would be nice to have as well but if you want to travel light I think the kit lens would be fine.

Have fun!
Brian

www.BrianSullivanPhoto.net

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Tue 20-Jul-10 01:41 AM
1033 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What to bring to Disney World?"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

For what it's worth, here's the focal length usage from our trip to Disney World last year. I had my 18-200mm VR on the camera during the day.

18-24mm 62
26-70mm 93
75-135mm 68
150-200mm 99

We stayed at Animal Kingdom and nearly all of the longer focal length shots are of wildlife. The mid-range was good for parade elements and close-ups. Wide-angle was used to capture the family with scenery.

Enjoy your trip!

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2098 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.