Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2019
View in linear mode

Subject: "Blurry night time photgraphy" Previous topic | Next topic
JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Thu 24-Jun-10 02:43 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Blurry night time photgraphy"

New HArtford, US

I bought a D5000 for my wife approx 6 months ago but have taken it over. In general I am very happy with this camera.
Recently I have been experimenting with night time landscape / city photography.

The sky and clouds are often blurry. The distant houses are also not as sharp as I would like. I have been admiring some photography on this web site and from National Geography, where the sky and building architecture is crystal sharp.

I have tried manual focus and auto focus. I find focusing difficult with minimal light. I use the kit 18-55mm lens. I have used S priority between 1 sec and 10 minutes, depending on the background. I have used a remote to limit camera movement. When exposure is > 30 sec, I use a remote which can be used on bulb setting so that you do not need to manually depress shutter.
I use an inexpensive lightweight tripod.
Should I increase f stop and keep exposure longer, focus approx 20 feet away, buy a better tripod, keep practicing or is this camera not capable of the kind of pictures I envy?

I also recently bought a 1.8 35mm prime lens for low light photography. This does not have VR on it and I notice some blurring. I am not sure if this is related to shallow DOF or vibration not being corrected. Should I use this lens for my outdoor night time photography with a tripod? I will be greatful to hear from anyone.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Blurry night time photography
gkaiseril Gold Member
24th Jun 2010
Reply message RE: Blurry night time photography
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
24th Jun 2010
Reply message RE: Blurry night time photgraphy
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
24th Jun 2010
24th Jun 2010
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
25th Jun 2010
MEMcD Moderator
24th Jun 2010
24th Jun 2010
24th Jun 2010
25th Jun 2010
28th Jun 2010
MEMcD Moderator
28th Jun 2010
19th Jul 2010
jneethling
15th Jul 2010
19th Jul 2010

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 24-Jun-10 03:24 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Blurry night time photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Bump the ISO. You may also want to look at DOF Master and learn about the Depth of Field, DOF. DOF in low light with a wide open lens becomes very shallow so you may need to decide what item will be in focus.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Thu 24-Jun-10 07:01 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Blurry night time photography"
In response to Reply # 1

New HArtford, US

Thanks. I purposely left iso @ 200 off auto correct and thought that keeping shutter open would be better. I will try increasing F stop for depth of field. The moon and clouds were most blurred ? related to movement. Wind moving clouds and earth spin etc. I will also expirement with increased iso. Another problem I also may be having is not enough dynamic range. The house in the photo is white with much landscape lights, hence when sky is bright enough highlights burn up house a somewhat.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 24-Jun-10 04:38 PM
2030 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 0

Norcross, US

>I use an inexpensive lightweight tripod.

Is your tripod up to the task?

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Thu 24-Jun-10 07:07 PM
#5. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 2

New HArtford, US

Bob,
Thanks. You have some very sharp images in your collection with your D300. Most images were shot with faster shutter speeds. Do you have any experience with the long shutter speeds I describe @ night?

JohnE Nikon

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Fri 25-Jun-10 01:06 AM
2030 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 25-Jun-10 01:30 AM by Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US

>Bob,
>Thanks. You have some very sharp images in your collection
>with your D300. Most images were shot with faster shutter
>speeds. Do you have any experience with the long shutter
>speeds I describe @ night?

Thanks.

I just got my tripod and have played some but haven't really gotten into it. I don't have a remote trigger so when I was playing I used the delayed shutter release so that my hand was away from the camera when the shutter triggered.

I stopped the lens down and then played with the shutter speed, doubling it with each shot and then examining the shot.

The pictures weren't bad, the subject just wasn't very interesting and haven't found anything that has really interested me. It's just so hot this time of the year in Atlanta that you don't even want to go out, even at night.

I shot one of the eclipses a couple years back. One thing I noticed is that things in the sky, clouds, stars, etc. move even if the camera doesn't.

The 4th is coming up and will give me an opportunity to take some night shots.

What tripod did you get?

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 24-Jun-10 06:42 PM
25743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sounds like you have three issues.
1. Focus. If you are shooting distant subjects set the focus at infinity. The alternative is to use the Hyperfocal distance Chart that George provided a link to.
2. DOF too narrow. Solution: stop the aperture down to f/11 or f/16.
3. Your tripod may not be stable enough for long exposures.
Try using your tripod without the legs or center column extended and see if it helps. The shorter it is the more stable it should be.
You might find Tripod Technique helpful.
If you are considering a new tripod you might want to read: Do I really need a tripod and Serious Support .
If your lens has VR and it was on while mounted on a tripod it could induce vibration which would also effect the sharpness of your images.
Turn VR off when using a tripod unless the lens has VR with tripod mode.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Thu 24-Jun-10 07:09 PM
#6. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 3

New HArtford, US

Marty,
Thank you. I will experiment with some of these techniques and review links. I never thought of taking VR off. I'll let you know.

JohnE Nikon

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Thu 24-Jun-10 11:18 PM
#7. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 3

New HArtford, US

These articles were very good. I just ordered a new tripod. Thank you. I also posted some of my problem pictures which have NEX info, if any one has any comments.

JohnE Nikon

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 25-Jun-10 03:11 AM
#9. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 3

New HArtford, US

Tonight I repeated with some of your advise.
My tripod was set to lowest setting. I used a higher f stop. I also covered eyepiece and used remote to trigger shutter. I took off VR. I also tried my 35mm 1.8 prime lens which worked very well. My images are much improved and I am much happier. I already purchased a new tripod, and hope for even better results.

You can check out my gallery with prior to and after corrections.. Please feel free to comment.
Sorry I do not know how to put link in this reply.

Thank you for suggestions.

JohnE Nikon

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Mon 28-Jun-10 02:43 PM
#10. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 9

New HArtford, US

here is a link
check out blurry night

JohnE Nikon

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 28-Jun-10 05:05 PM
25743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi John,

Nice images!
Part of the facade in image # 1 is blown out (over exposed) but the clouds and the moon look ok. Bottom line too much dynamic range. A Graduated Neutral Density filter would help equalize the difference in exposure between the dark sky and the brightly lit house.
The house is exposed much better in #2 and #3 detail in the sky is lost.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Mon 19-Jul-10 05:32 PM
#13. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 11

New HArtford, US

Thanks Marty

JohnE Nikon

jneethling Registered since 15th Jul 2010Thu 15-Jul-10 08:45 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 0

ZA

I came accross an article on nikon world a while ago (http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Explore/Nikon-World/g1p0634b/all/Available-Dark.html). It does highlight some difficulties and solutions when taking night time photos that include the sky.

You may find the information interesting. Be sure to follow the link to the National Geographic site for more photos.

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Mon 19-Jul-10 05:41 PM
#14. "RE: Blurry night time photgraphy"
In response to Reply # 12

New HArtford, US

Thanks. Nice article.

JohnE Nikon

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2019 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.