Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2014
View in linear mode

Subject: "how do I get more vivid colors and shutter speed in dar..." Previous topic | Next topic
deanna927 Registered since 23rd Jun 2010Wed 23-Jun-10 09:11 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"how do I get more vivid colors and shutter speed in dark places"

US

I recently got a D5000 and I'm still learning to work with the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and such. I'm wondering how to take pictures with more vivid colors. I've seen posted photography and I've been trying to mimic the style.
Here's an example:
http://fuckyeahphotography.tumblr.com/post/712056107/taken-with-my-nikon-d3000-a-wireless-remote

Secondly, I've been taking pictures with people outside a movie theatre and noticed that when it's dart the shutter speed is SUPER slow. Is there any way I can have a normal shutter speed to take a decent picture in the night time? I also plan to take photos of bands and you know most gigs are in a darker setting, so I know it's going to be a problem.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 23-Jun-10 09:47 PM
3333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: how do I get more vivid colors and shutter speed in dark places"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The three things that control exposure are the shutter speed, lens aperture (f/stop), and ISO. The less light there is the slower the shutter speed, the wider the aperture, or the higher the ISO needs to be, or all three. If you're using the "kit" lens that came with your camera, chances are it isn't very "fast" meaning it's maximum (widest) aperture is not very big, so it can't let in as much light. To obtain a correct exposure, the shutter speed has to slow down and/or you need to increase the ISO to increase the "sensitivity" of the sensor to light. Faster lenses (with wider maximum apertures) are useful in dim light, e.g. 50mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.8 or a fast zoom such as Nikon's f/2.8 models.

When dealing with slow shutter speeds, a tripod is recommended, if your subjects are still, anyway.

As far as the vividness of images, either change the settings in the camera to "vivid" or alter the saturation in post processing, e.g. Photoshop.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2014 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.