Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1987
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 flash issues" Previous topic | Next topic
cwilker10 Registered since 15th Jun 2010Tue 15-Jun-10 03:11 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 flash issues"

US

I'm having issues with my new D5000. The flash pops up, but it never fires. Is there a way to check that the flash works? I've tried to force flash in PSAM modes, with no luck. I think it's a physical problem and am curious if there is a way that I can check its operation.

-Chris

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 15-Jun-10 05:11 PM
50766 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 flash issues"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Hi Chris,

First I want to welcome you to Nikonians

Page 70/71 of your manual explains the use of the flash.

Try it again and let us know.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

cwilker10 Registered since 15th Jun 2010Tue 15-Jun-10 08:29 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 flash issues"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the welcome to Nikonians!

I've looked over 70-71 numerous times with no luck. When I set it to flash(not auto flash) the flash pops up, but never flashes. The camera did take a tumble when dropped from about 4 feet, but everything else seems to work OK. I'm curious if there is a way to see if the "bulb" might be bad? Just grasping at straws as I have spent a few hours trying to see what I can find out with no luck.

Thanks,

Chris

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 15-Jun-10 09:21 PM
25901 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 flash issues"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
If you can't get the built in Speedlight to fire in a dimly lit room, it must be broken. It could be a broken wire, bad capacitor, or broken circuite board. Did the Speedlight work before the tumble?
You might want to contact your retailer or send the camera in to Nikon Service. If the problem can be traced back to the fall, they will charge you for the repair. If your credit card has additional warranty coverage, it may be covered by them.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1987 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.