Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1980
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 Macro Pictures" Previous topic | Next topic
jfn99 Registered since 13th Jun 2010Sun 13-Jun-10 06:22 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 Macro Pictures"

US

I'm new to DSLR cameras, I just got a NIKON D5000 with the standard 18-55mm NIKON Lens.
I want to take close pictures of some small collectables objects around 1"x2" big.
what is the best option of lens or accessory for a budget of around $200, the regular 60mm lens are more than what I can pay now.

thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 13-Jun-10 08:47 AM
26594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D5000 Macro Pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You could look into a set of Kenko extension tubes; that goes for around $140. Placed between the lens and the camera, they allow your existing lens to focus more closely than it otherwise can.

On the other hand, if this is a one-time thing, you might consider renting the 60/f2.8 AFS from a place such as lensrentals.com. For example, here.

Full disclosure: lensrentals.com is a Nikonians sponsor, although I personally started using them before that deal was struck. On the other hand everyone I know who's used them has been very pleased.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 14-Jun-10 01:57 PM
50351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 Macro Pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

>I'm new to DSLR cameras, I just got a NIKON D5000 with the
>standard 18-55mm NIKON Lens.

Which camera do you have ?

In your other post you said you got a D90.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

jfn99 Registered since 13th Jun 2010Mon 14-Jun-10 02:25 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 Macro Pictures"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I had D5000 but switched to a D90

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 14-Jun-10 02:16 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 Macro Pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

You originally posted this in the D90 forum, but you say you have a D5000.

You could try the Macro forum in the specialty area.

Zoom lenses have many compromises to provide a wide range of focal lengths and when adding any image size modifier, the results of the compromise will become evident.

Without buying a new lens, you can purchase a Canon auxiliary closeup lens for the cheapest solution. The next better would be macro extension tubes that just move the lens further from the sensor and have no optical elements. For the very best quality a good prime macro lens is the solution, but at a price.

One could use the f1.8 55mm Nikor lens and one extension tube would be pushing your budget.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1980 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.