Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1971
View in linear mode

Subject: "NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book" Previous topic | Next topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 12-Jun-10 03:13 AM
34635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book"

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Fellow Nikonians,
It is great to be able to present you with
Mastering the Nikon D5000
by Nikonian Darrel Young, one more book of the NikoniansPress Series in combination with RockyNook.

It is a most comprehensive illustrated guide for owners of this newest, budget-friendly generation of Nikon DSLR cameras.

Darrell understands that you may be one of the many owners of the D5000 who may be just entering into the world of DSLR cameras; therefore he takes time to guide you through some of the basics of photography, while also leading you through more complex topics. Readers will be able to develop as photographers with the D5000, progressing from camera-controlled automatic operation to user-managed manual control, shortening your learning curve.

As in all previous volumes in the series, this new book also carries a 50% voucher discount for a one year Gold Membership. It is on page 389

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book
greenwing Gold Member
12th Jun 2010
Reply message RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—
DigitalDarrell Team Member
12th Jun 2010
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
23rd Jul 2010
23rd Jul 2010
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
23rd Jul 2010
metroman
15th Sep 2010
Screeper
04th Oct 2010
forensictom
21st Dec 2010
andres0101
24th Jan 2011
24th Jan 2011
grouper
07th Nov 2010
Kensogtp1
18th Mar 2011
aleximas
30th Mar 2011
bbugsy
08th Jul 2011
10th Jul 2011
bbugsy
10th Jul 2011
regaladosantos
12th Dec 2011
12th Dec 2011
regaladosantos
13th Dec 2011
boldventure Silver Member
20th Oct 2012
astroMD
29th Oct 2012
DTFM
31st Jan 2014

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sat 12-Jun-10 11:30 AM
1301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

I was going to recommend this book to someone the other day, but checked here and didn't find an announcement so assumed that it hadn't yet been published. The reviews on Amazon go back as far as February, though. Did this announcement just slip through the net? I'll get on to telling he guy about it now.

Chris

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberSat 12-Jun-10 11:55 PM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 14-Jun-10 03:26 AM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

Mastering the Nikon D5000 was released in December 2009 without much fanfare. We put a lot of effort into making this book very thorough, yet easy to understand. It will really help you get to know your camera well.

It even provides some basic photography principles for those upgrading from the point-and-shoot world. You'll definitely need to know about things like White Balance, the Histogram, the autofocus system, depth-of-field, and even things like aperture and shutter speed relationships when you want to move out of the camera's many automatic modes and take real control of your photography.

The D5000 is a mini-D90, in my opinion, with many of the same features—but for less money. Both my son and daughter have Nikon D5000 cameras, and they are bringing home some very nice work. I offered my (D5000 owning) 19-year-old daughter a D90 the other day and she said, "No Dad, I like my camera just fine!" The D5000 fits her hand better, and isn't too heavy for hiking and partying.

If any Nikonians already have Mastering the Nikon D5000 from Amazon.com, I would appreciate it if you would write a nice review there. A book never really does well until good reviews appear. Thanks in advance!

Digital Darrell

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 23-Jul-10 04:09 AM
922 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 2

New HArtford, US

I've nearly finished reading this book and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have finally got a grip on manual white balance for indoor shooting. Thank you.
I have been having some issues with tack sharp focusing and shooting in AF-S and recomposing has solved my problem. Thanks.

I had one question regarding your statement on predictive shooting. I was under the impression that it takes a very short time for the camera to take the picture after the shutter is fully released. The delays of some of my older point and shoots do not occur here. You state on p 331 it takes .85sec or 85 milliseconds for this to happen. Isn't 85 milliseconds .085 seconds or just under 1/10 of a second? Intuitively I think this quicker time is correct. I have not found any other flaws with your book if this indeed is one. Thank you.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberFri 23-Jul-10 01:16 PM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 24-Jul-10 09:36 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

John,

Good catch—you are correct. I'll see that they add a zero on the next printing. How that got past me, an standard editor, a copy editor, a production editor, and a proofreader leaves me baffled. Readers always seem to find these little typos and logic errors. With 120,000–150,000 words in these books, I'm amazed that more errors don't get published.

In any case, the camera is very fast...

Digital Darrell

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Fri 23-Jul-10 02:33 PM
922 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 4

New HArtford, US

>In any case, the camera is very fast...

I agree with the above.

I just kept reading .85 seconds and felt it was faster.

Thanks again for all the hard work that went into writing this and for all of your personal insights.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

metroman Registered since 28th Aug 2010Wed 15-Sep-10 03:57 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

Having just purchased a D5000, I have also purchased the book Mastering your Nikon D5000. It is an excellent book.
Martin

Screeper Registered since 25th Sep 2010Mon 04-Oct-10 04:59 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 6

ZA

Have had my D5000 about 1 month now..
Just ordered the book. I feel I really need it. Am getting rather lost with all the possibilities of my new camera.
Looking forward to it arriving. *sigh* 11 days delivery - the pain of living in Africa..

------------------------------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

forensictom Registered since 14th Dec 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 01:21 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 7

US

This book is great for anyone that wants to learn more about
the D5000. I just got it yesterday and am thoroughly enjoying
it!

andres0101 Registered since 28th Nov 2010Mon 24-Jan-11 02:56 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 9

Bridgeport, US

whats the diference between this book and the "d5000 for dummies" ?

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberMon 24-Jan-11 03:46 PM
#11. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 10
Mon 24-Jan-11 03:47 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

It's not for Dummies!

It has much deeper information on configuring the camera, including how, when, and why.

Digital Darrell

grouper Registered since 07th Nov 2010Sun 07-Nov-10 10:14 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I have another book about the D5000. I have read the first few chapters of your book and it is far superior to anything else. It's very clear, and understandable. Can't wait to get through the whole book.

Michael

Kensogtp1 Registered since 14th Mar 2011Fri 18-Mar-11 12:10 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I just got this book and it is AWESOME. This is my 1st DSLR. I just upgraded from the Coolpix 8700 so, there is lots for me to learn and I think this book will do it.

Great writting/info and the pictures are great.

Thanks..

aleximas Registered since 18th Mar 2011Wed 30-Mar-11 07:31 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book—"
In response to Reply # 12

CN

Just ordered the book. I feel I really need it. Am getting rather lost with all the possibilities of my new camera.
www.sportshoesworld.com
www.shoxtrading.com

bbugsy Registered since 07th Jul 2011Fri 08-Jul-11 01:58 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book"
In response to Reply # 0

Bacolod, PH

I am a new member (basic) and am trying to upgrade my membership but let me tell you first how happy I am with Digital Darrell's book. It's so easy to read and follow. And that's where I learned about the Nikonians.

Thanks, Digital Darrell!

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberSun 10-Jul-11 12:44 PM
#15. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book"
In response to Reply # 14

Knoxville, US

Bbugsy,

I'm happy that you liked Mastering the Nikon D5000. The camera is a powerful little thing, with a lot of features. I hope the book helps you really take control of the camera. If you need help with anything that is unclear to you, ask questions here in the forum. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and experienced people here. This is the best place for a Nikon user!

Welcome to Nikonians!

Digital Darrell

bbugsy Registered since 07th Jul 2011Sun 10-Jul-11 12:48 PM
#16. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book"
In response to Reply # 15

Bacolod, PH

Thank you so much, Darrell. I'm so happy to "meet" you here. I love your book - it has made everything clearer to me. BUT last night, I read your review of D7000 and now, I'm dying to get my hands on one. ... While I can't have that yet, I will see to it that I "master my Nikon D5000".

regaladosantos Registered since 12th Dec 2011Mon 12-Dec-11 04:27 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book"
In response to Reply # 16

Allen, US

>Thank you so much, Darrell. I'm so happy to "meet"
>you here. I love your book - it has made everything clearer
>to me. BUT last night, I read your review of D7000 and now,
>I'm dying to get my hands on one. ... While I can't have that
>yet, I will see to it that I "master my Nikon
>D5000".

Where might I find Darrell's review of the D7000?

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberMon 12-Dec-11 08:20 PM
#18. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book"
In response to Reply # 17
Mon 12-Dec-11 08:25 PM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

>>Thank you so much, Darrell. I'm so happy to
>"meet"
>>you here. I love your book - it has made everything
>clearer
>>to me. BUT last night, I read your review of D7000 and
>now,
>>I'm dying to get my hands on one. ... While I can't have
>that
>>yet, I will see to it that I "master my Nikon
>>D5000".
>
>
>Where might I find Darrell's review of the D7000?

He may be talking about my blog on the Nikonians blog page here:

http://blog.nikonians.org/digitaldarrell/2011/01/dd-nikon-announces-the-d7000-camera.html

But, most likely it is the more extensive review in the Nikonians eZine #48 here (direct download link, allow some time):

http://www.niknians.org/ezine/eZine48.pdf

I hope this helps you!

Digital Darrell

regaladosantos Registered since 12th Dec 2011Tue 13-Dec-11 01:51 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book"
In response to Reply # 18

Allen, US

Thanks, Darrell. BTW, is there a downloadable version of your book?

boldventure Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Oct 2012Sat 20-Oct-12 03:09 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book"
In response to Reply # 0

Rock Island, US

I just purchased the book at Amazon. I can't wait to get it.
Darrell, I'm going to read up before I head to Cades Cove! I live about 3 hours away.

astroMD Registered since 29th Oct 2012Mon 29-Oct-12 05:49 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book"
In response to Reply # 20

US

How well does this translate to the D5100? Is it still a good buy for a D5100 owner who wants to get more out of the camera?

DTFM Registered since 28th Jan 2014Fri 31-Jan-14 02:28 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: NikoniansPress Mastering your Nikon D5000 book"
In response to Reply # 21

US

>How well does this translate to the D5100? Is it still a good
>buy for a D5100 owner who wants to get more out of the
>camera?

I am taking the lack of an affirmative response as a "no." Too bad we don't have an updated version of the book. I have just seen too many bad reviews of other books that were for the 5000 and not updated to address 5100+ (even books that claim they are for later models).

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1971 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.