Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1947
View in linear mode

Subject: "Raw image conversion on PhotoShop CS3" Previous topic | Next topic
tvaillancourt Registered since 02nd Mar 2007Mon 07-Jun-10 02:23 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Raw image conversion on PhotoShop CS3"

Mount Pearl, CA

My understanding is that I wold need PS CS4 to get raw images converted to PS.
Does anyone know how to convert raw to CS3?....or do I assume I will have to take TIFF or JPEG all the time?
I also have a D700 and installed a converter in my CS3 which works fine

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 07-Jun-10 03:15 PM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Raw image conversion on PhotoShop CS3"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 07-Jun-10 03:18 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

What camera do you have that Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) won't convert? If your camera is recent, there won't be an ACR you can update to in CS3 for converting your RAW images. You'll either have to upgrade to CS4, like you mentioned, or use Adobe's DNG Converter which can convert your NEFs to DNG, which is another RAW format. ACR can then convert the DNGs. DNG Converter is free and has free updates. What converter do you have that handles your D700 files?

Edit: I guess since you posted in the D3000/5000 forum, you have one of those cameras. You'll have to update to CS4 or use the latest DNG Converter.

Alan

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 07-Jun-10 03:43 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Raw image conversion on PhotoShop CS3"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 07-Jun-10 03:46 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

This D5000 is not supported by the last ACR update to CS3, ACR 4.6. This update added support for the Nikon D700, Nikon D90, and Nikon Coolpix P6000 but does not include the D3000 and D5000. The D5000 was added in the ACR 5.4 update and that update requires CS4. So unless you upgrade to CS4 you can not convert NEFs from D5000 directly in CS3.

What you can do is to use the free Nikon ViewNX to open the NEF files, let ViewNX apply the in camera settings to the NEF, perform edits to the camera settings as needed, and then directly transfer the image to CS3 or save as a 16 bit Tiff or 8 bit Jpeg.

Another free option would be to convert the NEF to Adobe Digital Negative (DNG) format using the free DNG Converter software and then opening the DNG file created into CS3.

For a more costly and flexible option, purchase Nikon Capture NX2. You can open the NEF with NX2 and perform a series of edits before transferring the image directly to CS3, save as a 16 bit Tiff, or save as an 8 bit Jpeg. You can also save edit copy of the NEF as a NEF for reference and for undoing the edits applied by NX2.

You also should look at the Post Processing forum and listen the Image Doctors Podcasts to learn more about post processing.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

tvaillancourt Registered since 02nd Mar 2007Mon 07-Jun-10 07:30 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Raw image conversion on PhotoShop CS3"
In response to Reply # 0

Mount Pearl, CA

Thank you both for the help.
I have the D3000 and have tried the NX software that came with it but was hoping for some file that would work the same magic as my D700 did.
Sounds like that dng conversion might be a good answer.
If I take a pic in JPEG fine, then open it on PS CS3, immediately save it as a psd file before editing, will it work much the same as raw in that I won't lose quality through the edit process?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 08-Jun-10 11:12 AM
26795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Raw image conversion on PhotoShop CS3"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

You won't lose IQ through the editing process, but you also don't get the advantages of the initial conversion - because it's already done by the camera.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1947 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.