Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1934
View in linear mode

Subject: "Long Exposure with D 3000" Previous topic | Next topic
JW_MN Registered since 04th Jun 2010Fri 04-Jun-10 03:50 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Long Exposure with D 3000"

US

I just purchased my D 3000 this week and have been messing around with it.
The longest exposure I can take is 25 seconds.
Could someone please tell me how to take longer exposures.
I was hoping to take one around 20 or 30 minutes.
Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Long Exposure with D 3000
mmmmikee
04th Jun 2010
aolander Silver Member
04th Jun 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Jun 2010
blw Moderator
07th Jun 2010
Asgard Administrator
07th Jun 2010
JW_MN
07th Jun 2010
Asgard Administrator
07th Jun 2010
chriscosta77
22nd Jun 2010

mmmmikee Registered since 04th Jun 2010Fri 04-Jun-10 08:21 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Long Exposure with D 3000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't know if this is right but wouldn't taking exposures for 20 minutes long make an image really bright if not white because you're letting so much light in?

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 04-Jun-10 12:09 PM
3237 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Long Exposure with D 3000"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Set the camera to manual exposure mode and select "bulb" for the shutter speed. The shutter will remain open as long as the shutter release is held down. Holding the shutter release with your finger will most likely cause camera movement, so a better way is to use a remote like the ML-L3 which will open the shutter on the first press and close it on the second.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 04-Jun-10 02:14 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Long Exposure with D 3000"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 04-Jun-10 02:32 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Welcome to Nikonians,

As noted you need to use the 'bulb' setting. Without an external power supply, you battery will last about 30 minutes. You may also see discoloration of a section of the image due to the buildup of heat on the sensor from the electronics and this heat causing this 'noise'. Another approach would be to take a series of shorter images and then using software to stack the images. This may even provide a longer battery life besides reducing the heat buildup on the sensor. This would work best for star trails.

Star Trails Don Rosenberger Photography

BNews - Lights of the Heavens Moose Peterson

Even a mistake means all is not lost:
Star Trails – Learning All Over Again Moose Peterson

George
My Nikonian Galleries

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 07-Jun-10 02:46 PM
26656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Long Exposure with D 3000"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

The D3000's battery will last only 30 minutes? I've done exposures longer than that with the D100, which uses a slightly older version of the same battery, and of course the D100 is also a 7-year-older camera. I would have thought that the D3000 was capable of going much longer than the D100...

The discoloration is called "amp noise" and it can be combated by turning on the Long Exposure Noise Reduction option. This causes a second exposure to be done immediately after the real one - the difference is that the shutter does not open for the second one. Anything that appears on the second exposure is spurious, and this is subtracted from the first one. Of course, this doubles battery consumption... and you don't want to turn it on all the time, since it cuts the multi-frame buffer in half.

Hmm... without looking it up, I'd guess that my 40-min exposures were done with Long Exp NR turned on, too...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 07-Jun-10 04:40 PM
50833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Long Exposure with D 3000"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 07-Jun-10 04:41 PM by Asgard

East Frisia, DE

I´m sure the battery of my D3000 last longer than 30 minutes.

But if you use "bulb" with the ML-L3 then the shutter remains open for about 30 minutes.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

JW_MN Registered since 04th Jun 2010Mon 07-Jun-10 04:44 PM
#6. "RE: Long Exposure with D 3000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>I´m sure the battery of my D3000 last longer than 30 minutes.
>
>
>But if you use "bulb" with the ML-L3 then the
>shutter remains open for about 30 minutes.

Could someone please give me a step by step of how to do the long exposure in bulb mode with the ML-L3. I bought the ML-L3 on Friday and I have been experimenting with it, but I can still only get the exposure to last for 30 seconds.
Thanks for all of your help!

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 07-Jun-10 04:58 PM
50833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Long Exposure with D 3000"
In response to Reply # 6

East Frisia, DE

1. Set the release Mode to "Quick response remote" (Page 53 Manual)

2. Set your camera to Mode "M" and rotate the command dial until you see "bulb" (Page 71/72 Manual).

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

chriscosta77 Registered since 22nd Jun 2010Tue 22-Jun-10 04:18 AM
#8. "RE: Long Exposure with D 3000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>1. Set the release Mode to "Quick response remote"
>(Page 53 Manual)
>
>2. Set your camera to Mode "M" and rotate the
>command dial until you see "bulb" (Page 71/72
>Manual).
>
>
>

Just a minor correction, regarding step 2.

The mode you'll be looking for is "Time" (when using the remote), not Bulb.

First click of the remote opens the shutter-- second click of the remote closes it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1934 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.