Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1926
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lens combo for D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
jzzdhillon Registered since 02nd Jun 2010Wed 02-Jun-10 06:08 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lens combo for D5000"

Melbourne, AU

Hi everyone,

I've just joined up to this forum. I've finally decided to move up from point and shoot cameras to the world of SLRs.

After a lot of reseacrh, I've finally decided that I will buy the D5000 in the next two weeks and I can't wait to get it and use it.

I am thinking of getting the below lens combo for the camera.

18-105mm VR
35mm f1.8G AF-S

I will be mainly using it for general holiday photography (people, buildings, sights etc) so the reason for the 18-105mm.

Also for low-light pics inside (restaurants, clubs etc) so the reason for the 35mm.

I've also heard the 16-85mm VR and 18-200mm VR are good general lens too. Should I stick to what my initial decision is or perhaps opt for the more expensive lenses.

Appreciate any advice/feedback.

James

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lens combo for D5000
blw Moderator
02nd Jun 2010
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Jun 2010
yota265
03rd Jun 2010
jzzdhillon
16th Jun 2010
blw Moderator
16th Jun 2010

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 02-Jun-10 04:27 PM
26734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Lens combo for D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

All of the lenses you have under consideration are quite good. Since you're a beginner in this space, it's probably best to stick with the kit lens and the 35/f1.8 for now, until you explore a bit and find out what it is that you really need.

All of Nikon's kit lenses are quite good optically, and often surprisingly so given their pricing. ("wow, that's nice... you mean that came from a $200 lens????!?!?")

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 02-Jun-10 09:42 PM
26128 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lens combo for D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi James,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Both the 18-105mm VR and the 35mm f/1.8G are very good optically. I concur with Brian regarding starting out with the kit lenses until you have a better idea of what lenses fit your requirements based on your needs. There is no better teacher than expierience.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

yota265 Registered since 30th Dec 2009Thu 03-Jun-10 09:52 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lens combo for D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

CASSELBERRY, US

I will have to agree. I bought my D5000 November of last year and have taken over 3000 pics so far and still learning with the 2 lens that came in my kit 18-55mm and 55-200mm. So much still to learn but getting there.
Good Luck and Have fun with it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jzzdhillon Registered since 02nd Jun 2010Wed 16-Jun-10 10:41 AM
#4. "RE: Lens combo for D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

Melbourne, AU

Thanks for everyone for their input.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the D90 instead. After holding both cameras, the D90 just really felt a lot better, and sturdier, in my hand and I came to the conclusion it will allow me to grow more in my travel photography. I also decided to go for the 18-105mm VR and 35mm 1.8 lens combination. I think these two lenses should be enough initially for my needs when I'm traveling overseas.

I'm now really looking forward to getting familiar with the camera and learning to use it before I leave for overseas next month.

I have a couple more questions to ask...

1) What other accessories should I buy for traveling (i.e.filter etc)?

2) What would be a good start as reference material to "learn" how to use the D90?

Thanks

P.S. How can I move this post to the D90 thread?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 16-Jun-10 03:04 PM
26734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Lens combo for D5000"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

> How can I move this post to the D90 thread?

I suggest just starting new threads in the relevant forums. (Ie something about the D90 there, about lenses in the Nikkors forum, etc.)

> What other accessories should I buy for traveling (i.e.filter etc)?

I'd get a rocket blower (even though the D90 does have a sensor-clean function). It's cheap and rugged ($12). And you should carefully consider how you will use your SD cards while traveling. If you travel with a laptop, SD card capacity is not much of an obstacle. If you really plan to go for a two week trip and have no other way to download images, you probably need more cards, along with some organized way of storing them and knowing which is used and which is not. Hint: the plan and the organization are a lot more important than the mechanics.

> What would be a good start as reference material to "learn" how to use the D90?

You have two separate types of thing to learn: the fundamentals of photography, and how to operate the D90. The former is classically a book such as Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. The latter is something like Thom Hogan's The Complete Guide to the Nikon D90, available at the author's web site. There are others in each category, but those are the ones that I highly recommend.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1926 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.