nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #1902
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... " Previous topic | Next topic
tysonbenton   UK  Registered since 26th May 2010 Thu 27-May-10 11:34 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... "

Hello all,

I'm a new member from london England, great to be part of the forum.

I have recently purchased a Nikon D3000 with the intent of using it remotely with the ML-L3. I'm setting up a photography project where i need the camera to work on remote for long periods of time. In the D3000 Setup Menu, under "Remote On Duration" I am able to to set the remote duration for 15 minutes but this is the maximum.

Does anyone know a way of overriding this feature so i can have the remote function on permanently? Is there a way of re-programming the firmware or using a different remote other than the ML-L3, a radio remote perhaps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks fellow Nikonians!

Tys

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... gkaiseril Gold Member
27th May 2010
Reply message RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... tysonbenton
27th May 2010
27th May 2010
Reply message RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... greenwing Gold Member
27th May 2010
Reply message RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... ganesh_bbr
02nd Aug 2010
02nd Aug 2010
          Reply message RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... rahulsamuel
14th Aug 2010

gkaiseril Gold Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005 Thu 27-May-10 04:11 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... "
In response to Reply # 0

Have you looked at tethering your camera to a computer?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

tysonbenton   UK  Registered since 26th May 2010 Thu 27-May-10 04:34 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... "
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the suggestion, but ideally i need a wireless shutter release... Tricky I know!

gkaiseril Gold Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005 Thu 27-May-10 04:38 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... "
In response to Reply # 2

Then you may need to jury rig a mechanical shutter release and control unit to depress the shutter release. Some people have used Leggo Mindstorm or R/C model controllers.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

greenwing Gold Member  Yorkshire, UK  Nikonian since 18th May 2006 Thu 27-May-10 09:26 PM
1304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... "
In response to Reply # 0

Welcome to Nikonians, Tys. I think that, provided you use the remote control at least once every 15 minutes, the remote control mode will remain active as long as you want. I could be wrong, though.

Chris

ganesh_bbr   Bangalore, IN  Registered since 19th Jul 2010 Mon 02-Aug-10 09:05 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... "
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 02-Aug-10 09:05 AM by ganesh_bbr

I remembering seeing the shutter can be kept open about 30 minutes roughly in the user manual.

This can be only done on Manual mode it was specified.

Correct me if i am wrong.

gkaiseril Gold Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005 Mon 02-Aug-10 05:43 PM
#6. "RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... "
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 02-Aug-10 07:14 PM by gkaiseril

That is correct for long exposures.

But the OP wants to take an image at a set set interval like once every half hour or 30 minutes all day or over a couple of days and then make a video of the images to create a time lapse movie. Since this interval is greater than the maximum time to keep the IR remote live, use of the ML-L3 is not possible. But one could use the camera powered by an external power supply and tethered to a computer with appropriate time lapse software to control the camera. The more expensive dSLRs have the ability to use wired remotes with intervalometers that accomplish this type of task without a computer and software.

See Time Lapse Construction Photography for an example of a time lapse movie over two days.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

rahulsamuel   IN  Registered since 04th Aug 2010 Sat 14-Aug-10 04:58 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Using nikonD3000 on a remote.... "
In response to Reply # 6

I'm also new to all this but i was wondering if you can use a wired remote, just for shutter release without the interval timer and all available for the more expensive cameras. The battery grips that are available need a cable to be attached for the vertical shutter release on the battery grip to function, so im guessing you can find wired remotes without battery grips with just a shutter release and hopefully a wire long enough to serve your purpose.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #1902 Previous topic | Next topic