Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1874
View in linear mode

Subject: "Filters for my lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
twincitybulldog Registered since 23rd May 2010Sun 23-May-10 10:31 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Filters for my lenses"

US

Should I use filters on my lenses to protect them and if so what kind should I use.
Thanks as I am new to DSLR.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Filters for my lenses
JosephK Silver Member
23rd May 2010
WD4MLA Silver Member
24th May 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
24th May 2010
MEMcD Moderator
24th May 2010
blw Moderator
25th May 2010
Len Shepherd Gold Member
25th May 2010
JamesJoe
31st May 2010
MEMcD Moderator
31st May 2010
vindex1963
20th Jun 2010

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 23-May-10 11:55 PM
4359 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Filters for my lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Depends on what you are trying to protect them from.

For most folks, the hard lens hood provides more than enough protection as long as it is actually attached correctly. Any filter added to a lens degrades the image. Expensive ones less than cheap ones, but if you do not need the filter for photographic reasons then why bother?

If you are in an environment where you have flying sand or snow or have water spray, a clear (not UV) filter might help with the cleaning and protection of the front lens element.

Back when I was shooting film, none of my lenses had hoods so all had protective filters. All of my digital lenses have hoods and almost never have "protective" filters. I have seen the difference with and without the unneeded filters. Maybe I just needed to get better quality filters...

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 24-May-10 12:51 AM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Filters for my lenses"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 24-May-10 04:00 PM by WD4MLA

Sylva, US

You will get split answers on this one because everyone has their own opinion of whether to use them or not. I have always used protective filters, but I only use Nikon NC filters.

If you decide to use them Nikon recommends NC filters and not UV. Cheap filters will degrade your photos.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 24-May-10 04:58 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Filters for my lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

The nano coated lenses are tougher and reduce UV, so a filter could be unnecessary. A lens hood should be used.

Adding any piece of glass no matter how good can under some situations add lens flare. This flare can be a spot or an overall brightness and reduce sharpness. The filter can also sometimes cause AF issues.

If you are around young children that want to touch your lens, then use a filter.

The choice is yours.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 24-May-10 03:24 PM
25942 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Filters for my lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Walter,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Using a filter for protection is a very individual decision!
If you decide to use a filter for protection get a quality Multi-coated clear filter like a Nikon NC or Hoya Pro Digital Clear. I would also recommend that you always use a lens hood which will help to keep flare and ghosting in check.
I use Nikon NC's and can't see any difference in IQ (Image Quality) between images captured with the filter and images captured without the filter.
As stated above, Filter's can contribute to Flare and Ghosting when shooting into a strong light scource but with a little expierience you will know when it might be a problem and you can always remove the filter when required.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 25-May-10 12:42 PM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Filters for my lenses"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

> with a little expierience you will know when it might be a problem and you can always remove the filter when required.

I used to think that. Then I had a several shoots in two months where I forgot almost every time. I salvaged almost all of them with post processing, but that's an experience I never want to repeat if I can reasonably avoid it. Those flare spots are often not visible in the finder, and I at least don't think of it when in the field.

So I just don't use the filters unless I have some compelling reason to do so - be that danger, exposure balancing or whatever.

Coatings and elements are a LOT sturdier than most people realize. You can hit them with a rock thrown by a motorcycle and not damage the recent ones. (Thom Hogan did this with a 14-24, for example.)

The other thing that folks forget is that filters can fail too. I had one break its retaining ring, and getting it off left a nice, deep score in the aluminium retaining ring of the front element. Thankfully it was just the ring, but it was less than a millimeter from the glass. Subsequently another one from about the same batch (both same brand, both acquired on the same day about 10 years ago) threw its retaining ring also, so I tossed all of them from that batch. Not common, but also almost as frequent in my personal experience as things that endanger the front element. (Personal score: dangerous filters: 2, dangerous encounters to front element: 4.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 25-May-10 10:08 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Filters for my lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

Perhaps more important is adding a rider to your home insurance policy (you live in USA) to insure your camera and lenses away from home for breakage and theft.
You are much more likely to drop and break a lens or maybe even have your equipment stolen than to damage a front element.
Insurance often works out cheaper than buying filters - and covers you against many more eventualities than a front filter.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

JamesJoe Registered since 21st May 2010Mon 31-May-10 07:53 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Filters for my lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Of course.

you can reference here

hope it can give your some help

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 31-May-10 07:07 PM
25942 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Filters for my lenses"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi James,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The filters listed in the link that you provided are so cheap that I wouls suspect significant degredation of IQ (Image Quality). At that price point There is no way they could possibly be multi-coated and I would doubt that they even incorporate optical glass.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

vindex1963 Registered since 27th Jan 2008Sun 20-Jun-10 01:12 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Filters for my lenses"
In response to Reply # 7

Phoenix, US

All I have to do is look at my UV filter after a vacation where I might shoot 1000 photos and take the camera everywhere. There are spots, dust, dirt and "stuff". I like the fact I touch the filter to clean and not the lens.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1874 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.