Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1838
View in linear mode

Subject: "Zooming on Autofocus on a D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
troy69 Registered since 19th May 2010Thu 20-May-10 01:56 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Zooming on Autofocus on a D5000"

SG

Hi Everyone,

This is probably going to sound like an extremely silly question and the answer is probably well known and obvious to most. However, since I am new to DSLR's ( having just bought a D5000) , I need some help with this.

Lets say my subject is at a distance from me . I have the 18-55/3.5-5.6 zoom (kit) lens attached. Focus is set to AF-A on the camera and the focus button on the lens is also set to A. The current focal length is 18 but I want to zoom in on the subject.

How can I get the camera to zoom in on the subject if that is what I wish for it to do without doing it manually? I can get the camera to auto focus the subject but it does not zoom in. It focuses at the distance that I am currently away from my subject. Basically to cut a long story short how do I get the lens to zoom in auto focus mode. Thanks.

Regards,
Troy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Zooming on Autofocus on a D5000
blw Moderator
20th May 2010
troy69
20th May 2010
JosephK Silver Member
20th May 2010
troy69
20th May 2010
blw Moderator
20th May 2010
troy69
20th May 2010

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 20-May-10 02:03 AM
26587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Zooming on Autofocus on a D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You turn the zoom ring on the lens - that's the one with the big rectangular pattern on it. On DSLRs there is no such thing as a power zoom, mostly because of the interchangeable lenses. An 11-16mm zoom would have extremely different requirements than, say, a 200-500/f2.8 zoom whose zoom elements individually weigh as much as the entire 11-16mm lens.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

troy69 Registered since 19th May 2010Thu 20-May-10 02:59 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Zooming on Autofocus on a D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

SG

Hi Brian,

Thanks for replying to my post. So, if I do understand what you are saying, am I right to say that even on Auto Focus mode (on the camera and lens) , zoom would still need to be done manually? The auto focus only aids in the sharpness of the picture only once the desired magnification has been set. Is that it?

Regards,
Troy.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 20-May-10 03:04 AM
4188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Zooming on Autofocus on a D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

That is correct. Auto-focus only works the focus system. The zoom/magnification is always manual.

In addition, changing the zoom after focusing will require you to focus again.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D

troy69 Registered since 19th May 2010Thu 20-May-10 03:21 AM
#5. "RE: Zooming on Autofocus on a D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

SG

Hi Joseph ,

Thanks for making that crystal clear. Have a great day!

Regards,
Troy

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 20-May-10 03:04 AM
26587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Zooming on Autofocus on a D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

Right. Zoom is always done manually. Auto focus, well, focuses automatically

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

troy69 Registered since 19th May 2010Thu 20-May-10 03:22 AM
#6. "RE: Zooming on Autofocus on a D5000"
In response to Reply # 4

SG

Hi Brian,

Thank you for clearing that up. Have a great day!

Regards,
Troy.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1838 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.