Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1831
View in linear mode

Subject: "New Guy on the "D5000" block" Previous topic | Next topic
RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Wed 19-May-10 04:23 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New Guy on the "D5000" block"

New York, US

Hi
as you can see on the subject I'm the new guy
I have no idea how to use this D 5000 and that's why I joined this group.
my kids bought it for me because they think I have photo talent.
I looked at a lot of camera's and consider this D 5000 to be for me.
it looks like a beginner camera (not too compacted) for someone who just got away from a point and shoot.
I don't like the idea that I had to send it out for the recall thing but that's that.
this is getting long so to the point can some one point me to tutorials that will cut my learning in half so I can get down to taking photos soon as I get me D 5000 back. I'll be 67 soon so not too much tech please.
I'll post what I shoot for your critic as soon as I can
thank you all
Robert

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New Guy on the "D5000" block
MEMcD Moderator
19th May 2010
RobertsD5000 Silver Member
21st May 2010
MEMcD Moderator
21st May 2010
          Reply message D5000 LCD screen very dark
23rd May 2010
               Reply message RE: D5000 LCD screen very dark
MEMcD Moderator
23rd May 2010
                    Reply message MP reduction, lens and, speedlight
23rd May 2010
                         Reply message RE: MP reduction, lens and, speedlight
JosephK Silver Member
24th May 2010
24th May 2010
JosephK Silver Member
24th May 2010
johneeo
27th Jul 2010
MEMcD Moderator
24th May 2010
24th May 2010
MEMcD Moderator
24th May 2010
                                        Reply message uploaded more photos
25th May 2010
                                             Reply message RE: uploaded more photos
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th May 2010
                                             Reply message RE: uploaded more photos
MEMcD Moderator
25th May 2010
                                                  Reply message Settings and Raw
26th May 2010
                                                  Reply message Self timer
31st May 2010
                                                  Reply message RE: Self timer
greenwing Gold Member
31st May 2010
                                                  Reply message RE: Self timer
31st May 2010
                                                  Reply message memory cards
03rd Jun 2010
                                                  Reply message RE: memory cards
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Jun 2010
                                                  Reply message Raw JEPG
06th Jun 2010
                                                  Reply message RE: Raw JEPG
DigitalDarrell Team Member
11th Jun 2010
12th Jun 2010
12th Jun 2010
MEMcD Moderator
11th Jun 2010
12th Jun 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
12th Jun 2010
Reply message SB-80DX
26th Jul 2010
Reply message Expodisk
14th Aug 2010
     Reply message RE: Expodisk
greenwing Gold Member
14th Aug 2010
     Reply message new thread
14th Aug 2010
MEMcD Moderator
14th Aug 2010
14th Aug 2010
MEMcD Moderator
14th Aug 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 19-May-10 05:06 PM
25926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New Guy on the "D5000" block"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations! You have an excellent camera to learn on.

You might find Nikon D5000 Digitutor a good place to start.
There is also Images and Techniques and Capture Your World with multiple links to more information.

Reading between the lines, I detect a bit of apprehension.
Relax! It is just a camera!
You can use Auto exposure mode or one of the Vari-Program (Pictogram) modes and use the D5000 like a P & S with the exception of the viewfinder to get you up and running.
If you are interested in using Manual Exposure mode, I would recommend getting Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Fri 21-May-10 02:52 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New Guy on the "D5000" block"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

Thank you so much Marty
those are three great sites. can't wait to get my camera back from the recall place. it should be here today.
the point and shoot modes are great but I'm looking for more of the creative sides of the camera. I guess the apprehension your reading is the learning new things at 67 "sort of old dogs new trick theory"
I'll probably use the point and shoot at times when I have no time. my main study will be the P,S,A,M, for now.
thanks for your help Ill post photos soon as I can .
thanks again Marty
Robert

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 21-May-10 04:50 PM
25926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New Guy on the "D5000" block"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 21-May-10 04:51 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Robert,

Glad to hear you are jumping in with both feet!
Practice makes perfect! So go out and shoot!

Best Regards,
Marty

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Sun 23-May-10 02:01 AM
#4. "D5000 LCD screen very dark"
In response to Reply # 3

New York, US

Hi Marty
is there a way to make the LCD lighter every time I took a photo today it came up on the LCD screen very dark.
I thought my shooting was off so I picket one subject and changed the ISO from 200 to 450 to 800 and it still came out as dark on the LCD screen.
I couldn't wait to get home to see them and when I got home and put them on the computer they were ok. that is as far as underexposed.
the book that came with it is about 3/4 inches thick so I didn't get to read it all yet.
thanks in advance Marty. I'm going to go out again tomorrow.
Robert

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 23-May-10 06:34 AM
#5. "RE: D5000 LCD screen very dark"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Robert,

Go into the Set Up Menu (Wrench Icon) > LCD Brightness
Press the up arrow to make the display brighter. See page 166 of the D5000 Users Manual.

Best Regards,
Marty

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Sun 23-May-10 11:08 PM
#6. "MP reduction, lens and, speedlight"
In response to Reply # 5

New York, US

thanks again marty
sorry if I'm asking too many questions but I'm looking to learn and it seems like what you forgot I haven't learned yet. got a few more. I want to post some photos but they are too big between 5 and 8 MP. how do you reduce them. also someone wants to give me a 70-300 mm AF Nikon 1:4-5.6 D lens and a Nikon SB 80 DX speed light. would they work with my D 5000

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 24-May-10 12:28 AM
4349 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: MP reduction, lens and, speedlight"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 24-May-10 12:44 AM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

Marty's terse answer should not be interpreted as anything but direct. When you ask a simple question like "how do you adjust the LCD brightness", the answer is also simple. The nature of this site is not much fluff with the conversations. We also tend to refer folks to the manuals as much as possible, probably in case we get it wrong.

If the 70-300mm is the one currently retailing for about $160 (and it appears to be) then it will not auto-focus on your D5000, but it should meter OK. To get the auto-focus, you would need the newer AFS version since the D5000 does not have an focus motor in the camera body.

From a quick glance at the SB80 manual (downloadable from NikonUSA.com), it seems like it should work OK. The manual references the D100 camera, which was probably what was available at the time of printing.

The exact process of resizing an image will depend on the software you are using. In general, you will need to first resize the image to be 900 pixels on the longest side. Then during the "save" process, you may need to adjust the JPEG compression to get the file size down to 150K.

Larger files can be uploaded to external sites and linked to from here. Larger files can also be uploaded to your Nikonians gallery where you can inline the auto-generated small version.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Mon 24-May-10 02:06 AM
#8. "RE: MP reduction, lens and, speedlight"
In response to Reply # 7

New York, US

when I said I was a new-bee I wasn't kidding I don't understand what you wrote here

(Larger files can be uploaded to external sites and linked to from here. Larger files can also be uploaded to your Nikonians gallery where you can inline the auto-generated small version)

the only software I have is what came with the d5000 View NX and Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. and I don't see how to reduce image size on them.

if you can refer me to a manual great. I also don't know what your saying as far as fluff, but if If I'm interfering with the nature of this site let me know and I'll google all my questions
Thanx Robert

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 24-May-10 05:00 AM
4349 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: MP reduction, lens and, speedlight"
In response to Reply # 8

Seattle, WA, US

If you want/need to show larger files than allowed to be inlined here, you can upload them to places like Flickr.com or SmugMug.com or Photobucket.com then copy those URLs into a message here.

Since you are a paid member you can also upload large pictures to your Nikonians gallery. That gallery will show both a small and large versions to people; the small one can be inlined into a message here.

I do not use either ViewNX or Elements. However, in Elements you might be looking for something called the "image size" dialog.

By fluff I mean flowery or long leading messages. Things tend to get right to the point. Maybe I misread your post; it seemed you were questioning the shortness of Marty's message. I apologize if that was not the case. Ask all the questions you need to; we are here to share.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D

johneeo Basic MemberTue 27-Jul-10 07:16 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: MP reduction, lens and, speedlight"
In response to Reply # 8

US

About 6 months ago, I bought my D5000. Since then, I have been reading and reading posts, and books, and googling like crazy.

The first thing I learned was that I needed to know everything about the basics, in other words, I needed to fully understand aperture, shutter, ISO, RAW files, Depth of Field, and understand how one can effect the other (or otherssssss).

After that, I needed to understand lenses, which I am diligently doing now. And wow, are there differences among lenses! Never knew that, but am learning.

Started with my 18-55MM that came with the camera, and I just got the 70-300MM AF S.

Once I figure these out, I think I then need to figure out and learn about "prime" lenses, some with the BIG apertures.

And if something above is not accurate, someone here will point it out.

Good luck, keep learning.

Johneeo
Somewhere in the Philadelpia Metropolitan Area

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 24-May-10 04:31 PM
#10. "RE: MP reduction, lens and, speedlight"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>sorry if I'm asking too many questions but I'm looking to
>learn and it seems like what you forgot I haven't learned yet.

Not a problem! I am happy to help! We all learn in different ways. Remember the only stupid question is the one that was never asked!
Where there are dedicated buttons on the Pro bodies for many functions, the same features can only be accessed via the menu on other bodies. The controls and menus on Nikon DSLR's are similar but different on every body. As I don't have a D5000 and have only played with one a few times, I have to check the Manual myself.
I am well aware that the Manuals can be confusing to say the least, and there is a lot of information missing, in other words clear as mud. As the manual has images, it can be helpful to use with another way of explanation to understand.

>got a few more. I want to post some photos but they are too
>big between 5 and 8 MP. how do you reduce them.

In View NX Press on the Convert files button on the top tool bar > In the dialog box .
File Format ; Jpeg >
Quality > Slide the bar to Good Balance (Center position) or Good Compression ratio (second position from the left) see note below!
check Change Image Size >
Long Edge = 900 pixels >
Save in > choose your option
If you save the image in the Original Folder > Check: Change file names > Click Naming Options >
At the top of the box you will see the new file name modify it if you want > Click Ok >
Click Convert
Check the image size to verify that is no larger than 150KB. If it is larger than 150KB go back to the Quality slider and reduce it. Reconvert the image and check the size again.
Upload the image to the forum.

>wants to give me a 70-300 mm AF Nikon 1:4-5.6 D lens

The AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED is a decent lens. I have one but don't use it very much as I have a decent collection of glass to use.
Since it does not have an AF motor built into the lens, you will have to Manually focus the lens, though it will meter. Just set the Aperture ring to f/22 and lock it.

>Nikon SB 80 DX speed light. would they work with my D 5000

The SB-80DX incorporates Film TTL Flash Control (TTL) and Digital TTL Flash Control (D-TTL) systems.
The D5000 and All Nikon DSLR's from the D2 series, D200, D40, etc... use the Intelligent i-TTL (TTL) Flash Control system. They are three different systems that are not compatible with each other.

The SB-80DX will work on your D5000 with the Speedlight set in Non-TTL Auto (AA) Flash mode or Manual Flash mode with the camera set in Manual exposure mode and Manual ISO mode. When the flash is in AA mode, make sure the flash has the correct ISO listed and set the Aperture to correspond to the distance you will be from your subject as indicated on the distance scale in the SB-80DX's LCD display.

Best Regards,
Marty

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Mon 24-May-10 05:34 PM
#11. "RE: MP reduction, lens and, speedlight"
In response to Reply # 10

New York, US

wow I understood everything you said.
thankx for the View NX info. I did upload one photo. got the resize thing from google.
had a problem looking up all the info on the photo but I got it.
Ill take the 70-300 out this weekend and as far as the SB-80 man I looked at the manual that's another complicated tool.that will be a future project. right now its the D5000
I only put up one photo have no time for more got to go to work now would appreciate your opinion on it.
your a good teacher Marty with your help I'm learning fast.
P. S.
so far I'm only shooting in A and S

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 24-May-10 06:12 PM
#12. "RE: MP reduction, lens and, speedlight"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Hi Robert,

Nice shot! It looks like an old Selmer Alto, maybe a MK VI?
By using Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority mode you are ahead of the vast majority of D5000 Users shooting in Auto or one of the Vari-Program modes! Keep Shooting!

Best Regards,
Marty

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Tue 25-May-10 04:18 PM
#13. "uploaded more photos"
In response to Reply # 12

New York, US

Marty I think I'm in love. that View NX is great. are there any tutorials on it.
I know so little .
Id like to ask your opinion on my settings this is what I set the camera to
Jpeg -Fine Large
WB -Auto but id like to change that on rainy or cloudy days
ISO 200 -for now but I got some church shooting to do
Release mode- S
Focus mode AFC -it said that is C-Continues to change as your shooting
AF area mode dynamic
Metering Matrix -don't know what it is but I like the movie
Active D-lighting A - don't know this one so I set it on A
AE bracketing -off
Set Picture Control -SD
Flash Compensation- 0.0
Exposure Compensation- 0.0
If I need to make changes please advise me
Robert

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 25-May-10 04:38 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: uploaded more photos"
In response to Reply # 13

Chicago, US

Typical Basic Image Edit Work Flow

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 25-May-10 07:46 PM
#15. "RE: uploaded more photos"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Hi Robert,

>I know so little .

You know more than you think!
George provided a good link to a tutorial!

>Id like to ask your opinion on my settings this is what I set
>the camera to

The settings that you choose should be based on the ambient conditions and the subject.

>Jpeg -Fine Large

If you are happy with the images right out of the camera and don't plan on doing any PP Shooting Jpeg Fine Large will provide the least compressed jpeg file.
If you want to maintain the best possible IQ and have the ability to do extensive PP work without degrading the original NEF file shoot Raw! Raw images are "Digital Negatives"! When you start shooting Raw you will want to use more powerful image editing software like Nikon NX2, Lightroom 2, or Photoshop.

>WB -Auto but id like to change that on rainy or cloudy days
>ISO 200 -for now but I got some church shooting to do

Always shoot at the lowest ISO possible for the given ambient conditions.

>Release mode- S
>Focus mode AFC -it said that is C-Continues to change as your
>shooting

You might want to try using Single Servo (AF-S) AF mode when shooting static subjects and Continuous (AF-C) AF mode when shooting moving subjects.

>AF area mode dynamic

For static subjects I would recommend using a single AF point! When shooting static subjects,in Dynamic Area AF mode you are allowing the camera to decide what to focus on. It may or may not be the subject you had in mind. By using a single AF point you have full control of what the camera focuses on.
When shooting a moving subject if you can track the subject with a single AF point do so. Dynamic Area AF can be useful for shooting moving subjects that you can't keep a single AF point on when tracking them.

>Metering Matrix -don't know what it is but I like the movie

Be careful with very bright or very dark backgrounds and back lit conditions as the Matrix meter tends to under or over expose in those situations.

>Active D-lighting A - don't know this one so I set it on A
>AE bracketing -off
>Set Picture Control -SD
>Flash Compensation- 0.0

Use to adjust flash power.

>Exposure Compensation- 0.0

Use when shooting a scene with a bright or dark background when using P, S, or A exposure modes.

Best Regards,
Marty

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Wed 26-May-10 04:49 AM
#16. "Settings and Raw"
In response to Reply # 15

New York, US

Hi Marty
this weekend I'll be shooting in Shutter priority so I'll test out the AF-S or AF- C and the Matrix.
as far as Raw the "you will want to use more powerful image editing software" is a bit scary for me. it sounds like a lot of computer time and lots of learning about editing. right now I'm going to get to know my D5000 and to use it without checking the manual to often.
once that's done I'll branch out to software editing. I'm not a young man my photographic memory ran out of film years ago. when I get good at taking photos I'll study how to improve them on the computer.
Robert

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Mon 31-May-10 01:37 AM
#17. "Self timer"
In response to Reply # 16

New York, US

Ok I'm confused every time I press the self timer button the ISO Icon on the LCD screen lights up. what is that all about. am I missing a setting ???I did everything the book said and the ISO shines

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Mon 31-May-10 08:38 AM
1301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Self timer"
In response to Reply # 17

Yorkshire, GB

>Ok I'm confused every time I press the self timer button the
>ISO Icon on the LCD screen lights up. what is that all about.
>am I missing a setting ???I did everything the book said and
>the ISO shines

See page 163 of your D5000 User's Manual. The button can be set for several functions, the default being self timer. You can change the button's function in the menus, though. Looks like yours is set to ISO.

HTH
Chris

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Mon 31-May-10 02:25 PM
#19. "RE: Self timer"
In response to Reply # 18

New York, US

thank you Chris
my mistake was looking up "self timer" instead of fn button.
every day i try to figure something out about this camera I'll be 90 before I learn how to take a photo.

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Thu 03-Jun-10 04:48 AM
#20. "memory cards"
In response to Reply # 19

New York, US

I been going through some of the posts and one caught my eye. what is the best memory card. I see this
"Sandisk Extreme III SDHC 16 GB class 10 memory card 16 GB"
as of now I wouldn't shoot with a 16 GB too much space but id like to know where can I learn what's best for me. is a memory card just a memory card or is Sandisk better. I see its more money then most but does it have an advantage over the others??
long story short best speed and best quality.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 03-Jun-10 03:28 PM
#21. "RE: memory cards"
In response to Reply # 20

US

Hi Robert,

>as of now I wouldn't shoot with a 16 GB too much space but id
>like to know where can I learn what's best for me. is a
>memory card just a memory card or is Sandisk better. I see its
>more money then most but does it have an advantage over the
>others??
>long story short best speed and best quality.

Typically the higher the capacity the more expensive the memory card. Same goes for Speed. You might find CF SD Performance Database a good read.
Sandisk, Hoodman, and Lexar are consitantly the top rated cards with regard to speed and performance. They offer multiple lines at various price points based on the write speed and capacity of the cards.
If you decide to get a premium memory card, make sure you purchase it from a dealer that you trust because there are many counterfeit cards that appear to be genuine being sold every day.

Best Regards,
Marty

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Sun 06-Jun-10 01:58 AM
#22. "Raw JEPG"
In response to Reply # 21

New York, US

how do you separate the raw from the jpeg.
I changed the setting to Raw and JPEG but when I put them on the the computer I only see JPEG.
what do I have to do to get the Raw.

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberFri 11-Jun-10 04:50 AM
5947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Raw JEPG"
In response to Reply # 22
Fri 11-Jun-10 04:52 AM by DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US

Robert,

You may want to check out the NikoniansPress book: Mastering the Nikon D5000:

http://amzn.to/bpkjfW

It covers everything you've been asking in excellent detail, all in one easy to understand book. It'll open up your camera for you, and help you understand things like RAW vs. JPEG — plus how, when, and why to use every button, dial, switch, and menu on the camera.

It's written by a Nikonian for Nikonians.

Digital Darrell

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Sat 12-Jun-10 09:51 PM
#25. "RE: Raw JEPG"
In response to Reply # 23

New York, US

Thank you Darrell
I'll look into it

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Sat 12-Jun-10 11:59 PM
#27. "RE: Raw JEPG"
In response to Reply # 23

New York, US

ordered the book from Amazon.
I hope to start shooting better photos also hope this book will help.
Thanks for the heads up.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 11-Jun-10 04:06 PM
#24. "RE: Raw JEPG"
In response to Reply # 22
Fri 11-Jun-10 04:07 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Robert,

If you are shooting Raw + jpeg there should be two separate files.
A .NEF (Raw) file and a .jpeg file.
NEF files have a jpeg file embedded in them.
How are you downloading the images to your computer?
I use a Card Reader and download the image files using Windows Explorer. If you use the "Details" setting you should see the the two different file types.

Best Regards,
Marty

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Sat 12-Jun-10 10:08 PM
#26. "RE: Raw JEPG"
In response to Reply # 24

New York, US

Hi Marty
my computer has a memory card slot it takes every memory card made. I just take the card out of the camera and plug it into the computer. after they are on the computer I go to View NX (that's what you told me about when I wanted to shrink photos for uploading ) View NX has a section where you can separate Jpg from Raw. I got an 80 GB hard drive that I put the raw on . I don't know what to do with Raw mainly because I don't know what to do with Raw. I'm not good with photo software. I'm a new-be and not a young one so it's going to take time.thats one of the reasons I like this Nikonian web site

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 12-Jun-10 11:59 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Raw JEPG"
In response to Reply # 26

Chicago, US

In ViewNX on the bar below the menu, look at the item that shows 'NEF+JPG|NRW|TIF", this shows Nef and Jpg images simultaneously recorded as one image. Select the downward pointing arrow head just above it and change the selection to "NEF | NRW | JPEG | TIFF". This should show each type of file in the same folder as separate images. More information is in the "Help" file under the topic "Show by Selecting File Format" topic.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Mon 26-Jul-10 06:21 PM
#29. "SB-80DX"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I got a SB-80DX flash and I'm going to use it for the first time this Saturday. I have been trying to figure it out but I'm not a techie. i had it in A-P mode and it would hesitate. by hesitate I'm saying the flash went off then the camera click shortly behind. when i took it off aperture or P mode and went to auto I got no flash at all. it works in shutter mode but I'm more a aperture kind of guy. I was told the flash is not for the D5000. can any of you guys help me out.
thanks in advance.
Robert

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Sat 14-Aug-10 04:27 PM
#31. "Expodisk"
In response to Reply # 29

New York, US

does anyone know how i can use the expodisk with my D5000. my friend is letting me use it but it only has instruction for a nikon D100. and that don't work with the D5000.

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sat 14-Aug-10 06:01 PM
1301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Expodisk"
In response to Reply # 31

Yorkshire, GB

Robert, you'd be better to start a new thread for a new question, rather than resurrecting this thread & changing the subject each time. You'd get more replies that way.

As for the Expodisc, see page 99 of your User's Manual for instructions on how to set Manual White Balance. If I understand it correctly, the camera needs to be facing the source of the light, rather than the subject, when calibrating using the Expodisc.

Chris

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Sat 14-Aug-10 07:40 PM
#34. "new thread"
In response to Reply # 32

New York, US

I don't know how to start a new thread.I always look for something on the top and bottom but i don't see where it said new thread

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 14-Aug-10 06:27 PM
#33. "RE: Expodisk"
In response to Reply # 31

US

Hi Robert,

You must use the WB pre-set function.
Set the camera in Program exposure mode.
If the ExpoDisc is the same diameter as your lens, click the ExpoDisk into the filter ring threads. If the ExpoDisc is larger thab the diameter of your lens, just hold the ExpoDisc tight to the front of your lens with your fingers around the ring.
Go into the Menu >
White Ballance >
Preset Manual >
Measure >
Yes >
PRE will flash in the viewfinder,
Then Aim the camera at the light source from your subjects position, make sure the ExpoDisc is covering the front of your lens then press the shutter release button halfway, then release the shutter.
You should see "Gd" flash in the viewfinder display.

If the display reads "no Gd" you will have to go back to "Measure" and try again.

The WB is now set. Remove the ExpoDisc and reset the Exposure mode to the mode you prefer to use and you are ready to capture images.

If the shutter will not release you may have to set the camera in AF-C mode or Manual focus mode. I don't have a D5000 but I use an ExpoDisc with my D70S,D200,D2X,D300,D700,D3,and D3S all the time.
See pages 99 - 100 in the Nikon D5000 Users Manual .

Best Regards,
Marty

RobertsD5000 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th May 2010Sat 14-Aug-10 08:03 PM
#35. "RE: Expodisk"
In response to Reply # 33

New York, US

Once again I thank you Marty Everything was as you said except when pre flashes on the D5000 and you press the shutter there is no GD the pre just stops flashing and your set
Boy "7" camera's you must be changing setting in your sleep. well now I'm going to go to Central Park and try out me new toy "The Expodisc"
thanks again Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 14-Aug-10 09:17 PM
#36. "RE: Expodisk"
In response to Reply # 35

US

Hi Robert,

Glad to help! The "Gd" is displayrd in the LCD at the bottom when you look in the viewfinder.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1831 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.