nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Dead pixel due to impact damage (D3000)

davewb

UK
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
davewb Registered since 14th May 2010
Sat 15-May-10 01:36 PM

Hi
I bought a D3000 in Feb 10 from Jessops. In April though I started to notice a dead pixel: on some photos it was more obvious than others.

So I took it back to the shop, who sent it off to Nikon. A couple of days ago I got a letter from Jessops service centre stating that the dead pixel was in fact due to impact damage and they need to replace the damaged apron (?) and flash cover, therefore its not covered by the warranty and will cost me £70.

I went to the Jessops shop and they phoned the service centre, and they stated that the technicians found a hairline fracture on the top just above the Nikon badge (that only a technician could see, they said!), and they wouldnt budge and fix it under the warranty.

I was totally unaware of the crack, and I am not aware of any impact the camera has suffered since I bought it.

My question, does anyone consider that such an impact could break 1 pixel on the sensor?? It seems a bit far fetched to me,

Thanks
Dave

G