Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1798
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..." Previous topic | Next topic
dispatch88 Registered since 11th May 2010Tue 11-May-10 03:21 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..."

US

I am about to purchase my first DSLR, a D5000. I recently discovered my mothers old camera bag found a gold mine of Tamron lens for her Canon T70. There are 4 lenses, all of which are in amazing condition. I also found an adapter which says it will allow me to attach these lenses on my Nikon body.

My question is, how will the adapter effect the performance of the lenses?

I know I wont have the ability to autofocus but that doesn't bother me since I would like to practice with manual focus any way, just seems more traditional.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question...
aolander Silver Member
11th May 2010
MEMcD Moderator
11th May 2010
dispatch88
12th May 2010
MEMcD Moderator
12th May 2010
blw Moderator
14th May 2010
blw Moderator
14th May 2010
dispatch88
14th May 2010
dispatch88
19th May 2010
MEMcD Moderator
19th May 2010
blw Moderator
19th May 2010

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 11-May-10 03:48 PM
3239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 11-May-10 03:50 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

Deleted, read the post wrong.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 11-May-10 05:41 PM
25944 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I don't think the Canon lenses will focus to infinity on a Nikon body or even a new Canon DSLR with the appropriate adaptor unless the adaptor has a lens or lenses built into it.
The D5000 will not provide metering with MF lenses without CPU's.
Since the D5000 has a penta mirror viewfinder how well MF works will depend on how good your eyes are.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dispatch88 Registered since 11th May 2010Wed 12-May-10 12:44 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..."
In response to Reply # 2

US

>I don't think the Canon lenses will focus to infinity on a
>Nikon body or even a new Canon DSLR with the appropriate
>adaptor unless the adaptor has a lens or lenses built into
>it.

The adapter has a lense, here is where I plan to buy it from:

http://www.linkdelight.com/vmchk/Lens/New-Adapter-for-Canon-FD-Lens-to-Nikon-Mount-Camera/flypage-ask.tpl.html

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 12-May-10 03:08 AM
25944 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..."
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Stuart,

Let us know how well it works for you!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 14-May-10 01:10 AM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..."
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

I would not bother with this adapter, for precisely the reason that it has a glass element in it. There aren't many precision optical instruments that you can buy for $30, shall we say?

And as noted below, for these lenses in particular, there is no reason to do this as the Adaptall mounts do NOT have glass in them and therefore do NOT require any optical conversion. (The Adaptall conversion is purely mechanical.)

Moreover, the adapter to which you linked disables the auto diaphram, so you can't use it in the way we normally do with SLRs today. For most lenses from the mid-1960s to now, we focus and compose at full aperture, and the camera stops the lens down to taking aperture right before the shutter flies. Using the cheapo adapter means that you must either stop down to taking aperture all the time, thus making it hard to focus and sometimes even compose, or you can view/compose at full aperture then YOU stop it down to taking aperture before you trip the shutter. Back in the early 1960s there were so-called "preset" aperture lenses that worked this way, and I owned one of them in the 80s. I can tell you from very bitter experience that you WILL forget to stop down many times, blowing the exposure completely most of the time. That's less of a problem today when you can just delete the mistake off the card (rather than paying for the processing and film, just to see how bad it really was, if you even noticed), but you'll still find it exasperating. There's a reason that these things became dinosaurs...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 14-May-10 01:02 AM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..."
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

If these are the lenses I think they are, they use something call the Tamron AdaptAll mount system. Back in manual focus days, the connection between camera and lens was very simple and mechanical, so it was straightforward for Tamron to design their lenses in such a way that they could be adapted to any of the major brands, notably including Canon and Nikon, amongst many others.

The AdaptAll system requires that an adapter be configured onto the back of the lens itself. These are literally interchangeable, so you can actually take the Canon FD mount off and put on a Nikon F mount - and I have done exactly that in the (now very distant) past, when I had a Nikon FM2n and a shooting partner had a Canon AE-1. The lenses were designed so that they worked well with all of the cameras. Indeed, one of the lenses I still use occasionally today on my D3 and D2x dates back to that period, and it still performs pretty well. If your lenses are Tamron SP lenses, they are likely to do quite well indeed, assuming that you get an appropriate Adaptall mount. These cost about $15 these days. (Used. I don't think they're made any more.)

Of course, you'll be without a built-in light meter, but that's not a tragedy in this digital era with LCDs showing histograms.

_____

dispatch88 Registered since 11th May 2010Fri 14-May-10 02:32 AM
#7. "RE: Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..."
In response to Reply # 5

US

Ah that is great news! My mother confirmed that the lenses are definitely Tamron SP lenses. I mentioned the word "AdaptAll" and she immediately knew that they had that, despite not using them in years.

Also, I ordered my D5000 and the adapter today. 3 day shipping. I'm super excited, it's gonna be a long, agonizing 3 days. Oh ####, I just realized its close to the weekend, I might have to wait even longer! Ugh!

Thanks again!

dispatch88 Registered since 11th May 2010Wed 19-May-10 07:28 AM
#8. "RE: Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..."
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hurrah! My D5000 arrived today! I've been playing around with it all day. Unfortunately Im still waiting on the adapter so Im limited to the kit 18-55mm lens for now.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 19-May-10 03:54 PM
#9. "RE: Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..."
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Stuart,

Congratulations!
I'm glad Brian remembered about the Tamron AdaptAll system as I forgot!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 19-May-10 10:48 PM
#10. "RE: Lens Adapter for canon to nikon body question..."
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond, US

You might find this web site useful: http://www.adaptall-2.com/

_____

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1798 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.