nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1787
View in linear mode

Subject: "tips needed: blurry pics with a non-VR lens" Previous topic | Next topic
qooroo Registered since 08th May 2010Sat 08-May-10 04:49 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"tips needed: blurry pics with a non-VR lens"

UK

Hi forum,

just got my first dslr, the d5000. as well as the stock 18-55 lens i also got a 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD Tamron.

the Tamron got decent reviews online but doesn't have VR.

any tips (if possible at all) on how to take non-blurry pictures with it w/o a tripod? i've tuned the shutter speed to the fastest i can get away with without getting a 12MP balck rectangle.

thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: tips needed: blurry pics with a non-VR lens
scokill
08th May 2010
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
08th May 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
09th May 2010
qooroo
11th May 2010
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
09th May 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
09th May 2010
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
12th May 2010

scokill Registered since 07th May 2010Sat 08-May-10 06:25 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: tips needed: blurry pics with a non-VR lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Not an expert here, but have taken tons of photos with my d5000 under a variety of conditions and haven't had that many blurred shots unless there was low light/low shutter speed with movement. I've read a good rule of thumb is shutter speed matching level of zoom i.e., 200mm 1/200, 300MM=1/300, etc. If you are panning at 300mm snapping action shots that's even more difficult not to get blur.

Monopod would be helpful vs. full tripod and I'm looking at getting one now for indoor shots.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 08-May-10 06:57 PM
26893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: tips needed: blurry pics with a non-VR lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You have two methods without spending any money, and two more if you will spend money.

First, you can tun up the ISO. The base ISO is 200 (ie like 200 speed film), and on the D5000 you can certainly go to 800 with impunity and with some skill 1600 and even 3200 should be no problem. 6400 is definitely pushing it, although often an ISO 6400 shot can be made very useful. Higher ISO will allow you to get faster shutter speeds for the same wide open aperture that you're already using.

The next thing you can do is to start using the flash. The built-in is certainly capable of adding light, although it is, shall we say, not very subtle in its effect.

You can also combine the higher ISO and flash.

If you're willing to spend money, you can consider something like the SB-600 flash, which is vastly more capable than the built-in. Not only is it considerably more powerful, it can be used in a wide variety of bounce or diffuser configurations. Somewhat more sophisticated use of the SB-600 can make images illuminated with flash much more pleasant.

Finally, you can invest in "faster" lenses, such as the 35/f1.8 AFS ($200), 50/f1.4 AFS ($400) and a variety of others. This is, however, the most expensive option by a wide margin, especially if you go into the longer lenses. (A 300/f2.8 AFS VR runs about $4500, and likely you don't even want to know the price of the 400/f2.8.)

Naturally, the optimal combination is a fast lens with VR, with higher ISO and possibly with flash too. It all depends on how much time, effort, skill and money you want to invest.

Note that VR may or may not help anyway: it neutralizes motion of the camera, but if your subject is moving, it doesn't help. That's probably why it's not helping with the 18-55, which does have VR.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Sun 09-May-10 04:33 AM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: tips needed: blurry pics with a non-VR lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Warsaw, US

blw has great suggestions about bumping up the ISO and using flash (although I think 1/200 is the fastest shutter with the built-in flash). Hand holding will be difficult at 300mm unless your outdoors in good light where you can get fast shutter speeds.
Another thing to consider is maybe you need to pratice your shutter release technique. When I first used my D5000 (my first DSLR), I would jerk my hand when pushing the shutter button. Practice pushing the release button with the camera off so your not worring about framing an actual picture. All it takes is a gentle push of your finger tip.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

qooroo Registered since 08th May 2010Tue 11-May-10 08:09 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: tips needed: blurry pics with a non-VR lens"
In response to Reply # 2

UK

thanks for all the tips!

I never thought there was a whole article on how to hold your camera...but it's definitely helpful advice.

also the higher ISO helped as well - 800 fared better than higher settings and the ISO menu is now top on my shortcut menu =]

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 09-May-10 11:09 AM
26976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: tips needed: blurry pics with a non-VR lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Qiming,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The Rule of Thumb regarding minimum shutter speed on a DX body to eliminate blur due to camera shake is:
Minimum Shutter Speed = 1 / 1.5 x focal length
At 300mm Min. Shutter Speed = 1/450th sec. If you round down 1/400th sec. If you round up 1/500th sec. Brian provided excellent advise on how to maintain a fast shutter speed in lower light conditions.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 09-May-10 03:09 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: tips needed: blurry pics with a non-VR lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

First, one must have a good handholding technique. The technique developed for 35 MM SLR cameras still applies to the Nikon Daloris. One needs a steady stance, breath control, and will braced hold on the camera, and a very gentle squeeze to release the shutter. The because of the design of the lenses any movement will be amplified and the higher the focal length, the greater amplification. One needs to practice this stance to learn how to achieve it quickly and control the camera. Have you read the Nikonian article DEVELOPING A PROPER HANDHOLDING TECHNIQUE?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 12-May-10 02:39 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: tips needed: blurry pics with a non-VR lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You should seriously consider at least a monopod, if not a tripod, which is even better. It should provide the equivalent of about 2 stops of shutter speed, more or less, depending on your technique. The 1/FL rule of thumb was mentioned (1/450s on DX at 300mm)... but people are pickier today and I think double that speed is a more reasonable rule of thumb, especially if you crop. A monopod will get you there in more cases without extremely high ISO settings. We also have a monopod FAQ

Nikonians Team
My Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1787 Previous topic | Next topic