Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1779
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problem with D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
voteskynyrd Registered since 07th May 2010Fri 07-May-10 03:02 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problem with D5000"

US

Hello everyone, I am new here and tried to search for the
answer but can not find exactly what I am looking for. I have
a D5000 that I purchased for my wife at Christmas, it has
barely been out of the bag until I went to shoot the other
day.

Here is the problem:

When i shoot a picture all that pops up on the screen is
"FOLDER CONTAINS NO IMAGES"

also the view finder will not work. I can see all of the spec
info, just not the "live" shot.

I have checked my serial number against the "recall"
and it tells me my product is not affected.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks for your time, 
Kevin

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 07-May-10 04:06 PM
25591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problem with D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>Here is the problem:
>
>When i shoot a picture all that pops up on the screen is
>"FOLDER CONTAINS NO IMAGES"

Is there an SD memory card in the camera?
Did you format the card in the camera after inserting it?
Is the memory card in the camera locked (write protection)?
See pages 22-24 in the D5000 Users Manual.

>also the view finder will not work. I can see all of the spec
>info, just not the "live" shot.

The D5000 is not a P & S camera.
The default is to use the optical viewfinder.
To use Live View you must turn it on.
Press the Lv button on the back of the camera above the Multi-Selector.
See pages 42-48 of the D5000 Users Manual.
Using the optical viewfinder will help produce better images once you get used to it. A DLSR is larger and weighs significantly more than a P & S camera and is much harder to hold steady out in front of you.
You might find this article on Developing a Proper Handholding Technique helpful.
Here is a series of Articles that you might find helpful getting you up and running with your new D5000.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

voteskynyrd Registered since 07th May 2010Fri 07-May-10 04:32 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Problem with D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I rarely use the live view anyways. But my main problem is that no pictures register when I press the button.

it either goes to the menu screen or "folder contains no images" pops up.

I am aware that you have to press the LV button on the camera.

Thanks for your reply.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 07-May-10 05:54 PM
26549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Problem with D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

I don't have one of these but I think the problem is that your card was not formatted. Format it and you'll likely eliminate the message. I'm pretty sure that it says something different if you have no card installed at all. (Unless you've unset the option that precludes releasing the shutter if there's no card - that's usually used for camera store demos.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 10-May-10 11:21 PM
1544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Problem with D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

Frederick, US

If there is no memory card in the camera and you attempt to take a picture, it displays what you attempted to shoot and says "demo" on a little red rectangle in the upper left-hand corner and a diagonal across the image of an SD card. I can't explain the OP's observation.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1779 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.