Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1750
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need help deciding on Nikon" Previous topic | Next topic
vinojoyceh Registered since 02nd May 2010Sun 02-May-10 04:03 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need help deciding on Nikon"

Amesbury, US

I am leaning toward buying the N5000, but I did a lot of photography (B&W) a number of years ago and know quite a bit about exposures, apertures, lighting, etc and did a lot of dark room work. I am not professional, but I hope to find time in the next few years to start doing a lot more photography and I am going to switch over from film to digital. I will be diong lots of different things like sports, portraits, landscapes, etc. I want to make sure I have a camera that will keep me interested and allow me to be creative. Is the N5000 a camera I can grow with or will I find it really more appropriate for a total beginner? My only experience with digital cameras to date is a SONY CYBERSHOT.

Can anyone give me any insight or direction? I have read reviews ad nauseum and just want to pull the trigger and jump in!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need help deciding on Nikon
MEMcD Moderator
02nd May 2010
vinojoyceh
03rd May 2010
vinojoyceh
03rd May 2010
WD4MLA Silver Member
03rd May 2010
blw Moderator
04th May 2010
Asgard Administrator
02nd May 2010
vinojoyceh
05th May 2010
MEMcD Moderator
05th May 2010
vinojoyceh
05th May 2010
MEMcD Moderator
05th May 2010
Asgard Administrator
05th May 2010
vinojoyceh
05th May 2010
MEMcD Moderator
06th May 2010
Asgard Administrator
06th May 2010
jutezky
25th May 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 02-May-10 05:43 PM
26077 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 02-May-10 05:46 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Joyce,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The rules of exposure are the same with digital as they were with film. So you won't be starting from scratch. Instead of a dark room you will be using a computer monitor and imageing software.
As for which camera model with best fit your particular needs? The things to consider are your budget, desire, and goals. The D5000 is an excellent camera body and a great place to start. It will provide room for you to grow as a photographer. The limitations of the D5000 compared to a D90 are:
1. The D5000 requires lenses that have focusing motors built (AF-S lenses) into them in order to provide AF. The D90 has a focusing motor built into the camera body that will provide AF with All Nikon F mount AF lenses with the exception of the 80mm f/2.8 and the 200mm f/3.5 built specificly for the Nikon F3AF back in the early 1980's.
2. The D5000 has a penta-mirror viewfinder, the D90 has a penta-prism viewfinder that will be brighter.
3. The D5000 lacks a Sub-Command dial (Finger wheel) that the D90 has, though pushing a button on top of the D5000 and rotating the Command dial (Thumb wheel) serves the same function.
4. The D90 has more dedicated function buttons that provide much faster access to many fuctions that can only be accessed via the camera menu on the D5000.
5. The D90 has built in Speedlight Commander mode to control remote Speedlghts via the Nikon wireless CLS (Creative lightng System), the D5000 built in Speedlight does not.
Check the Nikon DSLR Comparison Chart for more information.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

vinojoyceh Registered since 02nd May 2010Mon 03-May-10 06:14 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 1

Amesbury, US

Thank you for the insight! I am leaning toward to D90.

vinojoyceh Registered since 02nd May 2010Mon 03-May-10 08:37 PM
#5. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 1

Amesbury, US

I am going to get the D90. I know am wondering what I should buy for a lens. I want to get just one to start as I am traveling a lot in the next few months and don't want to bother with multiple lenses. What do you suggest? I don't want anything really large, and I want at least an aperture of 3.5, preferably 2.8. Does it have to be VR? Is there anything else I need to know about Nikon lens compatability before I choose? I am going to stick with a Nikon lens. THANKS!

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 03-May-10 10:51 PM
906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 5

Sylva, US

Welcome to the Nikonians!

I would get the kit lens that usually comes with the D90 which is a Nikon 18-105 vr f3.5-5.6. It will cost less buying it as a kit than if you purchased it separately. Nikon's kit lens are really very good nowdays. This lens is very sharp and you should be very happy with it. This would be a good walk around lens.

If you shoot landscapes and need something a bit wider, the 16-85VR f3.5-5.6 is a favorite here. I have this lens and it is one of the best consumer lens by Nikon. It will cost more of course.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 04-May-10 12:18 AM
26704 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

> I don't want anything really large, and I want at least an aperture of 3.5, preferably 2.8.

These two are pretty much diametrically at odds. Lenses, especially zooms, that are f/2.8 are large, and I can't think of a single one that has a filter thread that's smaller than 72mm - and nearly all of them are 77mm. Ie, about as big as they come. The only counterexample is the older 35-70/f2.8, which has 62mm filters and is the only f/2.8 zoom I can think of at that size. Even it is not exactly tiny.

If you're traveling a lot, I'd suggest the 18-105VR, which is the kit lens.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 02-May-10 09:09 PM
51141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

I would go for the D90

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

vinojoyceh Registered since 02nd May 2010Wed 05-May-10 03:06 AM
#8. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Amesbury, US

I am becoming more undecided. I am thinking of going to a D700 vs the D90. I have two questions: 1) Is the D700 a lot more complicated to shoot? 2) Is the quality of the photos with the D700 really significantly better? I am wondering about quality when printing 16 x 20 prints of landscapes in particular. If the D700 is no more tricky to use and gets much better results, then I may go that way. There is a D700 kit on Amazon for $2997 which includes a 24-120 2.5-5.6G ED IF Nikkor lens. Does anyone know about this lens? It seems like a good deal since the body alone in most places is around $2400. I really don't want to buy a D90 and then have buyer's remorse! Help!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 05-May-10 03:49 PM
26077 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Joyce,

>I am becoming more undecided. I am thinking of going to a
>D700 vs the D90. I have two questions: 1) Is the D700 a lot
>more complicated to shoot?

It depends on how comfortable you are using Program (P), Aperture Priority (A), Shutter Priority (S), or Manual (M) exposure modes.
The D90 has Vari-Program (Pictogram) exposure modes that can get beginners up and running right out of the box.

>2) Is the quality of the photos with the D700 really significantly better?

Generally No! The D90 actually has a few more pixels than the D700. The main advantage of the D700 is it's high ISO performance. If you shoot moving subjects like Sports, in low light situations (most H. S. Gyms) the D700 has about a 1.5 stop advantage in high ISO performance which will allow a shutter speed about 3 times faster than possible on a DX body given a fixed level of digital noise.

>I am wondering
>about quality when printing 16 x 20 prints of landscapes in
>particular. If the D700 is no more tricky to use and gets
>much better results, then I may go that way. There is a D700
>kit on Amazon for $2997 which includes a 24-120 2.5-5.6G ED IF
>Nikkor lens. Does anyone know about this lens?

The 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR is a decent lens with a good zoom range. Bjorn Rorsolett tested it on a D1X (5.3 MP) and D1H (2.7 MP) both low resolution DX bodies24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Review.

Best Regards,
Marty

vinojoyceh Registered since 02nd May 2010Wed 05-May-10 03:59 PM
#10. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 9

Amesbury, US

Msrty:

I don't know who you are or how you know so much, but THANKS for the feedback! I do know how to utilize A and S priority. I used an old PENTAX ME with a broken light meter for years! With it I shot a lot of action photography for the sports section in college, quite a few years ago! I used B&W film for the most part.

Can I utilize my knowledge of the A and S priorities on the D90 or is it all automated? If I can shoot with the D90 in aperture or shutter speed priority, and the picture quality of the D90 is as good as the D700, I don't see why I would go for the D700 aside from the more sturdy camera body.

I thought the FX body would make for a clearer picture when blown up versus the DX body. But you are saying that is not correct. So my main reason for thinking I might want the FX D700 has gone away. This will save me a lot of money!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
JOYCE

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 05-May-10 05:01 PM
#11. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Joyce,

>Can I utilize my knowledge of the A and S priorities on the
>D90 or is it all automated?

In addition to the Vari-Program (Pictogram) exposure modes. The D90 has Program (P), Aperture Priority (A), Shutter Priority (S), and Manual (M) exposure modes, just like all of the Nikon DSLR's.

>If I can shoot with the D90 in
>aperture or shutter speed priority, and the picture quality of
>the D90 is as good as the D700, I don't see why I would go for
>the D700 aside from the more sturdy camera body.

Yes, the D700 is built better than the D90. So is the D300S for that matter.

>I thought the FX body would make for a clearer picture when
>blown up versus the DX body. But you are saying that is not
>correct. So my main reason for thinking I might want the FX
>D700 has gone away. This will save me a lot of money!

I have both DX bodies and FX bodies and reviewing Raw images from my D300 (same sensor as the D90) compared to those from my D700, I can't see any difference in IQ (Image Quality) when both are set at the base ISO setting (ISO 200). Others may have a different opinion. When shooting at high ISO's (ISO 1600 and higher) The D700 wins every time.
Per DxO Sensor Mark the D90 has more Dynamic Range than the D700.
The money that you save can be spent on better "Glass".

Best Regards,
Marty

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 05-May-10 07:01 PM
51141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 10

East Frisia, DE

Don´t hesitate

As mentioned before, go for the D90

Eala Freya Fresena

vinojoyceh Registered since 02nd May 2010Wed 05-May-10 08:12 PM
#13. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 12

Amesbury, US

>Don´t hesitate
>
>As mentioned before, go for the D90

I like the conviction in your reply! The D90 it is! I like this website. I feel like I have professionals answering my questions rather than a sales person trying to seal the deal. Are you a professional or a very knowledgeable "enthusiast"?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 06-May-10 05:13 AM
#14. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Hi Joyce,

If you click on the "Face" (User Profile) Icon (third icon from the left) on the right side just below the posing date and time, you can see the Users Profile. Most members have their expierience level, equipment, ect... listed.

Best Regards,
Marty

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Thu 06-May-10 03:29 PM
#15. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 13

East Frisia, DE

You can also click on an Avatar.

Eala Freya Fresena

jutezky Registered since 25th May 2010Tue 25-May-10 07:01 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Need help deciding on Nikon"
In response to Reply # 15
Tue 25-May-10 07:01 PM by jutezky

PH

good day sir..

I would like to ask your professional help with regards to what nikon dslr camera should i buy..

i am deciding wether to get a d90 or d5000. please help me decide.

or is it possible to just buy a d5000 body and get a 18-105kit lens of d90.. i think they are compatible.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1750 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.