Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1745
View in linear mode

Subject: "Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000" Previous topic | Next topic
OffBeat Registered since 08th May 2003Sat 01-May-10 02:49 AM
611 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"

US

Picked up a used d5000 as part of a light carry kit and have been enjoying it so far, great little camera. I am kind of disappointed though that I can't leave auto ISO function on while using flash like other Nikon bodies where the ISO will stay at what ever you had set as base ISO. With either pop up or speedlight attached I get what ever I had set as upper limit for auto ISO in dim light most of the time. I just have to remember to turn off auto ISO when I know I am going to use flash in dim light. The trouble with that is it seems the older I get the more I tend to over look things these days. I do really like using auto ISO for most of what I shoot. If anyone has a work around that I may had over looked it would be great to learn.
Regards, Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d50...
Asgard Administrator
01st May 2010
OffBeat
01st May 2010
Asgard Administrator
01st May 2010
OffBeat
01st May 2010
ZeeSaffa
03rd Aug 2010
OffBeat
03rd Aug 2010
ZeeSaffa
03rd Aug 2010
vindex1963
05th Aug 2010
OffBeat
05th Aug 2010
OffBeat
05th Aug 2010
KWJams
15th Sep 2010

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 01-May-10 03:18 PM
50167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Do you use one of the Scene Modes ?

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

OffBeat Registered since 08th May 2003Sat 01-May-10 06:37 PM
611 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

No, I haven't really tried the scene modes. This would be when used in A or P modes.
Thanks, Bill

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 01-May-10 09:35 PM
50167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"
In response to Reply # 2

East Frisia, DE

I think it has something to do with the Minimum Shutter Speed you have selected. Maybe it helps if you select 1/60

Check page 149 in your manual.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

OffBeat Registered since 08th May 2003Sat 01-May-10 09:54 PM
#4. "RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I had to double check that. Right now I have 1/30 as minimum for shutter speed, still drives up ISO in poor light. It basically acts as though the flash isn't even activated in auto ISO. I have an 18-200vr on the camera and find unless I am at the long end 1/30 works well.
Thanks for taking the time though. When I read 149 what I came away with is that you had to be careful using rear curtain or slow with auto ISO as it may not allow a slower shutter speed. Not 100% sure as Nikon manuals sometimes confuse me!!
Bill

ZeeSaffa Registered since 03rd Aug 2010Tue 03-Aug-10 07:50 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Offbeat,

I've actually been scouring the web trying to find others with this same issue - and lo & behold I've stumbled on this site!

My friend has just bought his first DSLR - in the form of a D5000 - at the weekend.

I am also dissapointed (on his behalf that the auto-ISO doesn't drop back down when you pop the flash up.
I did a number of tests - and each time the ISO stayed up high - whereas my D90 would drop back down when I popped the flash up.

Let me know if you ever find a way around this - and I'll do the same.
Although I reckon our only hope is for Nikon to release a frimware update to fix it... unlikely.

OffBeat Registered since 08th May 2003Tue 03-Aug-10 08:24 PM
#6. "RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Yes, I took care of the problem. This and a couple other things persuaded me to sell the body. A very nice camera but didn't meet my needs.
Good luck!
Bill

ZeeSaffa Registered since 03rd Aug 2010Tue 03-Aug-10 09:50 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Ah damn... that wasn't the answer I was hoping for!

So what did you buy instead if you don't mind me asking?

vindex1963 Registered since 27th Jan 2008Thu 05-Aug-10 03:03 AM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"
In response to Reply # 7

Phoenix, US

Turn off auto ISO and set it to what you like. I go with ISO 800 while using a flash. Shutter 1/125 f/5.6 and shoot in manual mode.

OffBeat Registered since 08th May 2003Thu 05-Aug-10 04:06 AM
#10. "RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>Turn off auto ISO and set it to what you like. I go with ISO
>800 while using a flash. Shutter 1/125 f/5.6 and shoot in
>manual mode.

Yes, this can also be done. It just seems like a waste of a great feature when it comes to the auto ISO. It works so well except for those occasions you might want to use on board flash for a bit of fill flash and don't want to have to menu dive to do it. Every other Nikon body I have used will allow you to use auto ISO and when flash is used ISO drops back down to the base setting with out getting back into the menu.

OffBeat Registered since 08th May 2003Thu 05-Aug-10 04:01 AM
#9. "RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>Ah damn... that wasn't the answer I was hoping for!
>
>So what did you buy instead if you don't mind me asking?
>
>
>
>

I am back to shooting mostly film. I kept an old D100 for when the need of a digi file was needed. Still have most of what glass I have collected over the years. Just waiting for the digital urge to kick back in.

KWJams Registered since 04th Sep 2010Wed 15-Sep-10 04:17 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Kind of disappointed with auto ISO and flash on d5000"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Not exactly sure, but I think that the book I am currently reading covers this issue. Hope this helps.

Nikon D5000 - From Snapshots to Great Shots by Jeff Revell

Page 11,

"Set your ISO on the fly

You can change the ISO without taking your eye from the viewfinder. Although there is no dedicated ISO button on the D5000, you can still change this setting on the fly by setting the function button to handle ISO sensitivity. Simply use Custom Settings Menu F to change the assignment of the function button. Then while you are looking through the viewfinder, just press and hold the function button while turning the Command dial. You will see the ISO value change in your viewfinder display."

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1745 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.