Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1718
View in linear mode

Subject: "need your advice on possible camera switch" Previous topic | Next topic
robertBBB Registered since 26th Apr 2010Tue 27-Apr-10 06:20 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"need your advice on possible camera switch"
Tue 27-Apr-10 06:23 PM by robertBBB

PH

I recently bought my d3000 kit and currently happy with it. I'm new to dslr and to photography but very eager in learning (reading tutorials, joining photog gatherings/shoots and as they say, practice..practice..practice)

However, I just read a not so good review (from kenrockwell) re d3000 especially on poor ISO handling so now I’m thinking of switching to d5000, I don’t have the budget but I can save for it so my question is that, is it worth it to replace my current system to the d5000 or can d3000 still do the work(by enhancing my skills in photography ???).

I’m currently saving for a 35mm f1.8 lens (and maybe zoom lens in the future but I don’t know if I should go with the body first.

I’m interested in portraits, events and landscape photogs and wanted to learn IR and HDR

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 27-Apr-10 06:36 PM
26762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: need your advice on possible camera switch"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The D5000 does have better high ISO performance than the D3000 and a few more pixels to boot.
That said, how important the high ISO capability is depends on what you shoot and the ambient conditions that you will be shooting in.

Landscape images are usually captured at the native ISO with the camera mounted on a tripod. Therefore high ISO performance is of very little benifit.

Portraits are usually captured with decent light or flash. Again high ISO capability is not critical unless you want to shoot in low light.

Events: Depends what you mean. If you will be using flash, no big deal. If you will be shooting in low ambient lighting without flash, High ISO capability would be very helpful.

If you will be shooting indoor sports, you will need both a fast lens and good high ISO performance.

As a general rule, Glass is a much better investment than a new body but there are exceptions to every rule.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 27-Apr-10 06:48 PM
29229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: need your advice on possible camera switch"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, UK

Welcome to Nikonians, Robert!

Unfortunately, we see quite a few new members here who have been quite unnecessarily scared by reading the rather sensationalised reviews and headlines on the website that you mention. We're quite used to picking up the pieces and reassuring people...

Calling the D3000 "the worst Nikon DSLR ever" (as he did) is a huge exaggeration. In practice, it is a good performer in a range of situations, and should be a great way for you to learn about your hobby. It may be that you'd get slightly better results in some circumstances from a D5000, but I would look towards making your next investment in a lens or two and perhaps some courses.

We'll be here to help!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 27-Apr-10 09:28 PM
52137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: need your advice on possible camera switch"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Don´t worry about the D3000 with the kit-lens

It´s a good combo.

I used it as a back-up camera for my D700.

And believe me, it was well deliberate.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1718 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.