Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1687
View in linear mode

Subject: "New kid with D3000" Previous topic | Next topic
BRIANxJDM Registered since 29th Mar 2010Fri 23-Apr-10 03:38 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New kid with D3000"

San Gabriel, US

Wassup Guys, I just got a Nikon D3000 as a present from my parents for getting a 3.8 GPA. I am into car photography as in taking pictures of random cars at meet, and once in a while actual photoshoot. Was wondering what is a good lenses I should be investing in? Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New kid with D3000
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Apr 2010
BRIANxJDM
23rd Apr 2010
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Apr 2010
Asgard Administrator
23rd Apr 2010
bigfeet
24th Apr 2010
ganzonomy
24th Apr 2010
ericbowles Moderator
28th Apr 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 23-Apr-10 06:57 AM
26474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New kid with D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Brian,

I would recommend you use your kit lens for a while. They are actually provide excellent IQ (Image Quality). With some experience under your belt you will have a better idea of what your kit lens is capable of and it's limitations as well. Then you will have some insight as to which lens or lenses will be beneficial to you based on the subject and ambient conditions. You might also want to include a budget as new lens prices start at a little over $100.00 and can climb to over $10,000.00.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BRIANxJDM Registered since 29th Mar 2010Fri 23-Apr-10 07:02 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New kid with D3000"
In response to Reply # 1

San Gabriel, US

Thanks, someone had told me that the memory card makes a difference to the picture is that true, and what is a good memory card to get.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 23-Apr-10 07:31 PM
26474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New kid with D3000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Brian,

You might want to check your D3000 users manual for approved cards or Nikon USA's website for the latest list. Though just about any card will work in the camera.
I prefer Sandisk cards as they have proven themselves reliable over the last 5 or so years. Others prefer Lexar. They are most likely the leading brands. The faster cards will allow you to clear the buffer a little quicker though how fast the D3000 is capable of writing I don't know. Faster card will also allow you to download the images to your computer faster if you use a UDMA enabled card reader. Know your retailer as there have been many problems with counterfiet cards being sold on e-bay and other internet retailers.
Make sure you format the card in the camera before you use it.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 23-Apr-10 08:09 PM
51795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New kid with D3000"
In response to Reply # 2

East Frisia, DE

I use for my D3000 a 4GB card from ScanDisk. No problem so far.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Sat 24-Apr-10 12:05 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New kid with D3000"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 24-Apr-10 12:11 AM by bigfeet

US

The memory cards do not affect Image Quality whatever.

Under some very fast shooting sessions you might (maybe) will see a difference in the speed and responsiveness of the camera but I can't imagine you being in those situations real soon.

Any class six card is fast enough and I settled on an 8 gig card cause i thought that was the best price value for capacity.

Bottom line, speed and capacity are the issues with cards, not IQ.

Check out this thread, its very helpful.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=312&topic_id=1678&mesg_id=1678&page=

ganzonomy Registered since 15th Dec 2007Sat 24-Apr-10 10:13 PM
227 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: New kid with D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

Hewlett, US

the kit lenses (18-55, 55-200, whichever or both) are good lenses for the D3000 to see where you stand. If you're moving up from a point and shoot digi (ie: coolpix-type), you're going to already be possessing a much larger sensor (i believe 16mm x 24mm). This larger sensor will also help your shooting by allowing a better representation of the actual colors to be "recorded". While they aren't 2.8 zooms, for shows that are outdoors, even at the longer range of the zoom, there should be plenty of natural light to be usable at ISO 400 / xx-mm @ f/5.6, perhaps even at ISO 200, depending on the sunshine outside.

Get some use with the kit lens you have, and if you need more zoom than what it came with, look for some basic, or "one step above basic" lenses. Just make sure they are AF-S lenses (ie: the lens has a focusing motor inside itself), because AF and AF-D lenses won't focus due to the body lacking a screw-driver mechanism on the F-mount. Essentially, for new lenses, buying AF-S will save you a lot of trouble and agony.

Enjoy it!

Jason

Mine: F3 HP,
Lenses: 50mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.2 AI-S my Nikonians gallery.

Queens College Class of 2011-12!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 28-Apr-10 07:32 PM
8790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New kid with D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Congratulations on the good grades. Keep up the great work!

For cars I find that I typically want to "go wide" or "go long".

By that, I mean that to capture images of a whole car - frequently indoors or in close quarters - you probably need a lens in the 16 or 18mm range. The 18-55 would fit that criteria. If you are indoors or in dim light, VR is a huge help.

I also like to shoot specific design elements. This requires a bit of a zoom lens. The starting point would be a 55-200 or a 70-300.

There are a wide range of choices depending on your budget. Also keep in mind that your needs will evolve. Used gear is not a bad way to save money.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1687 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.