Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1666
View in linear mode

Subject: "5000 and chipped manual lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Fri 16-Apr-10 01:49 AM
270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"5000 and chipped manual lenses"

South Florida, US

The real question is: how does the 5000 work with manual focus lenses?

Akiva S.
www.akivaphotography.com
FM3a, FM, FTN (chrome & black), F2A

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 5000 and chipped manual lenses
aolander Silver Member
16th Apr 2010
kshapero Gold Member
16th Apr 2010
blw Moderator
16th Apr 2010
bigfeet
16th Apr 2010
JosephK Silver Member
18th Apr 2010
blw Moderator
18th Apr 2010

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 16-Apr-10 03:15 AM
3230 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 5000 and chipped manual lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

If they're chipped (like Voigtlander), they will meter, otherwise they will not. No AF, obviously.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Fri 16-Apr-10 03:20 AM
270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 5000 and chipped manual lenses"
In response to Reply # 1

South Florida, US

>If they're chipped (like Voigtlander), they will meter,
>otherwise they will not. No AF, obviously.
>this I know but how is the focusing on the D5000 with manual lenses?

Akiva S.
www.akivaphotography.com
FM3a, FM, FTN (chrome & black), F2A

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 16-Apr-10 03:38 PM
26650 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: 5000 and chipped manual lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

To be brutally honest, it can be a bit difficult. The viewfinder on the D5000 (and D3000/D40/D60) is a penta-mirror, not a pentaprism, so it's slightly darker by construction. It's also smaller than your film cameras, since the sensor is smaller. Nikon plays as many optical tricks as possible to compensate, but at the end of the day, manually focusing on DX is simply not as accurate as on 35mm or FX.

Having said that, there are plenty of circumstances - probably most, in fact - where it's good enough to yield quality results. Certainly anything wider than about 35mm is going to be dead easy, simply due to the DOF involved. (Let's exclude the very few f/1.4 lenses from this discussion.) To take an example from the D40 forum, the Tokina 11-16 is almost a can't-miss situation since you'd have to make a focus error of more than several feet to get the subject out of focus. I've had little trouble using any of my MF lenses under 50mm on DX, and that includes the 35/f1.4 AIS. However, on the 135/f2 and 500/f8, where DOF is microscopic, the situation is different. The 50/f1.4 is in this category too, but only if shot wider than about f/2.8 or so.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Fri 16-Apr-10 09:02 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 5000 and chipped manual lenses"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 16-Apr-10 09:04 PM by bigfeet

US

The focusing screen on the DP5000 is barely adequate to the task. The wonderful split image prism that marked Nikon as an easy to focus screen is just not there and as far as I know, not available.

Too bad, that such an established and proven piece of technology has been tossed. But such is life when the market is for newbies and review sites pound how "bright" the viewfinder is instead of how functional it is.

When I manual focus, spinning back and forth 4 or 5 times is not uncommon instead of the slow twist to match splits on my F. Its annoying.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 18-Apr-10 01:01 AM
4313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 5000 and chipped manual lenses"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

Third party screens are available.
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Nikon-DSLRs--cat_nikon.html

---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 18-Apr-10 10:14 AM
26650 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: 5000 and chipped manual lenses"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 18-Apr-10 10:17 AM by blw

Richmond, US

> Too bad, that such an established and proven piece of technology has been tossed. But such is life when the market is for newbies and review sites pound how "bright" the viewfinder is instead of how functional it is.

It's not so much that it's "newbies," although that definitely does contribute to the issue. I certainly don't qualify as a "newbie" and were it not for budget considerations(*), I don't think I'd have done very much MF since the AF cameras arrived, outside of macro work(**). For most users, AF is both faster and more accurate than MF, yielding overall better results. If it didn't, there wouldn't be such an overwhelming choice in the market.

Given that AF is the order of the day, the finders are designed and optimized for AF. The split image rangefinder is a distraction when one is using AF, so it's not present. It's also more expensive to produce, another reason not to provide it for most users, especially on models like the D3000 and D5000 where price is one of the key selling points. To put this in perspective, consider a KatzEye screen. Even if it is a very high margin item, its production cost exceeds $35; I'd guess more like $60-$65 given a $155 price. Even if Nikon's volumes could drive down $60 to $35 (doubtful, but possible(***)), that would still add about $100 to the price of the camera after all is accounted for. Is it worth adding $99 to the price of this class of camera to include a feature that the vast majority will not only not use, but will find inconvenient and distracting?

And finally, again especially on this class of camera, traditional split image rangefinders (as well as microprism collars, to some degree) just don't work as well with slow lenses such as the f/3.5-5.6 that are usually used. Sure there are f/1.4 lenses available, but who wants even some range finder blackout? OK, the KatzEye with the OptiBrite addition works around this, but again we're back to the pricing problem - OptiBrite would add at least another $7-$10 to the cost and $20-$35 to the price, over and above the screen itself? This would be much easier to justify for a camera at the D3s or D3x price point.

For the small minority that enjoy, prefer and/or require a majority manual focus environment, Katzeye does provide a viable alternative. Unfortunately it's expensive, due to the niche nature of the product. Having used them on two different DX bodies (albeit both equipped with somewhat brighter pentaprisms), I can vouch for their effectiveness.

-------------

(*) It may not be apparent from my current profile, but when I returned to photography six years ago, I had both a collection of older MF lenses from the 1980s and essentially no photography budget whatsoever. So I spent several years using mostly those old lenses, which for a while meant not only MF but also no metering as I was shooting a D100...

(**) I do almost all of my macro work in manual focus mode. However, the split-image rangefinder rarely helps in this work, because it's almost never where I need to optimize focus. And focusing with the rangefinder (or microprism collar) then reframing isn't a great solution either as that's pretty much a do-over for framing in this environment.

(***) Edit: actually, it's likely, since this would replace the existing screen in the bill-of-materials. Nonetheless, it would still add significantly to the overall price.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1666 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.