Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1630
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 Raw format color problems" Previous topic | Next topic
wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Sun 11-Apr-10 04:31 AM
336 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 Raw format color problems"

Warsaw, US

Newbie here with a D5000 and 70-200 f2.8 VR lens. I was out shooting birds the other day (with the camera) and I was capturing in RAW format for the first time. I started off with the 70-200 by itself and then added a 1.7 teleconverter. After down loading the pics I noticed the colors looked fair to good from the lens only pics. Most of the pics with the teleconverter had horrible colors. For example, whites were blown out and the green grass looked lime green.
It was a sunny day and I was taking pictures of ducks on a lake. The water color was way off also. The camera was set to P mode with ISO 400, auto WB, ADL auto, center weighted metering and dynamic focus mode.
Is this somewhat normal for RAW capture or is this a problem with using a teleconverter? How can I correct this?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 Raw format color problems
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
11th Apr 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
12th Apr 2010
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
12th Apr 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
12th Apr 2010
12th Apr 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
12th Apr 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
14th Apr 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
14th Apr 2010

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 11-Apr-10 08:05 AM
4739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 Raw format color problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Any chance you can upload an example pic with all the EXIF data still intact?

---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Mon 12-Apr-10 12:28 AM
336 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 Raw format color problems"
In response to Reply # 1

Warsaw, US

No. I deleted them.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 12-Apr-10 12:44 AM
4739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 Raw format color problems"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

Taking a wild guess, try setting the WB using one of the presets (sunny, cloudy, etc.) and try turning off the ADL.

What software are you using to view the raw files?

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Mon 12-Apr-10 02:34 AM
#4. "RE: D5000 Raw format color problems"
In response to Reply # 3

Warsaw, US

I'll try that. I'm using Corel Paint Shop Pro X2. Here is one that I did keep. I think the color of the water is off, but maybe just the way the light was at the time. I added a small amount of saturation and sharpening. I think I should have stepped down a couple stops?

Thanks for your replys.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 12-Apr-10 02:46 AM
#5. "RE: D5000 Raw format color problems"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

That is not an unreasonable color for the water at that angle of view.

Dialing back the exposure a little would help with the ducks as they seem a bit over exposed (on the uncalibrated monitor I am currently using).

(Does PSP 12 do nef files? It's been a while since I tried it.)

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Mon 12-Apr-10 03:44 AM
#6. "RE: D5000 Raw format color problems"
In response to Reply # 5

Warsaw, US

>(Does PSP 12 do nef files? It's been a while since I tried
>it.)
>
>---------+---------+---------+
>Joseph K
>Seattle, WA, USA

Yes. I've used PSP since version 4. Went from 7 to X2 (12?) and really like it. Never tried any others, so I can't compare.

Here are a couple I captured in jpeg. The sand crane needed a lot of brightening and shadow reduction. This was taken with the teleconverter. Very happy with the results.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 14-Apr-10 04:02 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5000 Raw format color problems"
In response to Reply # 6

Chicago, US

Like any 3rd party image editor, it will read the NEF file, but it will not apply the in camera settings, so the image will not look like the embedded Jpeg preview thumbnail image nor like the in camera Jpeg created when using RAW + Jpeg.

Nikon View NX and Nikon Capture NX2 will apply the in camera setting to the NEF image and allow transfer to PSP or other programs with the in camera settings applied to the transferred image.

You might want to look at the PostProcessing fourm for more help.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 14-Apr-10 11:09 PM
#8. "RE: D5000 Raw format color problems"
In response to Reply # 7

Warsaw, US

gkaiseril, Thank you for that info. I did not realize that! So that's why the NEF files look so much different than jpegs! I have not loaded View NX on my computer because I didn't think I needed it. I'll give it a try.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1630 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.