Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1627
View in linear mode

Subject: "Imartial Advice Required" Previous topic | Next topic
Defoe Registered since 10th Apr 2010Sat 10-Apr-10 04:45 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Imartial Advice Required"

US

I am about to enter the DSLR age and despite reading a gazillion articles on my two options i decided to join here and ask for (i hope) some impartial advice.

I cannot make my mind up whether to buy:

D5000
Rebel T1I

From what i have read should i be worried about the alleged poor low light shooting capabilities of the D5000?

Am i correct that there is no autofocus in Manual mode? and should this worry me?

Should i opt for a body only D5000 and then add the Nikon Telephoto Zoom AF-S DX VR IF-ED Zoom-Nikkor Lens rather than the packaged deal that is on offer of the D5000 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens.

Any feedback on the above would be most welcome.

Regards,

Defoe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Imartial Advice Required
WD4MLA Silver Member
10th Apr 2010
aolander Silver Member
10th Apr 2010
blw Moderator
11th Apr 2010
bigfeet
11th Apr 2010
Reply message RE: Impartial Advice Required
Len Shepherd Gold Member
11th Apr 2010
Defoe
12th Apr 2010
JosephK Silver Member
12th Apr 2010
bigfeet
12th Apr 2010
Defoe
12th Apr 2010
Asgard Administrator
12th Apr 2010
blw Moderator
12th Apr 2010
bigfeet
13th Apr 2010
blw Moderator
13th Apr 2010
Defoe
13th Apr 2010
bigfeet
14th Apr 2010
briantilley Moderator
14th Apr 2010
bigfeet
14th Apr 2010
briantilley Moderator
14th Apr 2010
bigfeet
14th Apr 2010
briantilley Moderator
14th Apr 2010
Defoe
15th Apr 2010
briantilley Moderator
15th Apr 2010
pologuy
26th Apr 2010
Defoe
26th Apr 2010
pologuy
26th Apr 2010
bigfeet
26th Apr 2010
MEMcD Moderator
26th Apr 2010
pologuy
26th Apr 2010
Defoe
27th Apr 2010
pologuy
27th Apr 2010
pologuy
27th Apr 2010
MEMcD Moderator
27th Apr 2010
JosephK Silver Member
27th Apr 2010
WD4MLA Silver Member
27th Apr 2010
JosephK Silver Member
27th Apr 2010
pologuy
27th Apr 2010
pologuy
28th Apr 2010
scokill
08th May 2010

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 10-Apr-10 03:53 PM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

Defoe

Welcome to the Nikonians! I have owned Nikons for over 30 years so while I can speak for them, I have never used a Canon. Both systems are good and my advise would be to handle both and see which feels better to you. Of course with Nikon, you have the support of this site.

I do not own a D5000 but if it is like my D80, the manual mode on the camera controls the exposure and the switch on the lens decides if focus is auto or manual. I cannot imagine that auto focus would not work in manual mode.

You did not list the focal lengths of the zoom you are considering other than the kit lens so I am at a loss there. The 18-55mmVR is a very sharp lens and would serve you well. The 18-105MM VR would give you a bit more reach. The 16-85VR is considered one of the best consumer lens and will also give very sharp results. I use the 16-85VR and 70-300VR, which make an awesome combo.

As far as low light, the D5000 should give you good IQ up to ISO 1600. What type photography are you interested in?

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 10-Apr-10 04:29 PM
3233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

I'm not sure where you're getting the "poor low light shooting capabilities" of the D5000. It's rated slightly higher in all categories by DxO Labs, http://www.dxomark.com/. Compare the two on the DxO website (the Tli is aka 500D).

The D5000 focuses in manual exposure mode. What you may be confused by is the fact that the D5000 requires the use of AF-S lenses to auto-focus. (The D5000 does not have a focus motor, so it relies on the built-in focus motors of the AF-S lenses.) Older non-AF-S lenses can be used, but you have to manually focus them.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 11-Apr-10 11:49 AM
26652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Given that this is a Nikon owners' forum I doubt you'll get completely impartial advice

> From what i have read should i be worried about the alleged poor low light shooting capabilities of the D5000?

The D5000 is only "poor" about low-light shooting when compared to something like the Nikon D3s or Canon 1Ds Mk IV, which are capable of almost ridiculous shoot-in-available-darkness success. The D5000 is extremely effective up to ISO 1600 without much debate, and ISO 3200 is quite reasonable although clearly it's not as good as 1600. ISO 1600 is sufficient to do many night sports events - which has traditionally been one of the acid tests. And with a little effort on the part of the photographer, ISO 3200 usually yields professional quality results too.

> Am i correct that there is no autofocus in Manual mode?

There is no auto focus in manual focus mode. There IS auto focus in the auto exposure modes. There are so many different automatic things on modern cameras that you have to specify what kind of manual! For example, there's also auto flash (and of course AF works there too).

> Should i opt for a body only D5000 and then add the Nikon Telephoto Zoom AF-S DX VR IF-ED Zoom-Nikkor Lens rather than the packaged deal that is on offer of the D5000 with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens.

The lenses are another whole set of decisions, but given the level of questions you're asking, I strongly suggest starting with the 18-55 VR lens and getting some experience. Without that experience you won't know what YOU need or want, and what the rest of us do or like will swing your compass all over the map.

As for Canon or Nikon - don't obsess over the choice. Both of these "low-end" bodies are significantly more capable than what the top pros were using less than 15 years ago. What that means is that if you see a picture from more than 15 years ago, even one taken by one of the top masters, you can probably take it with either of these cameras, if you have the skill. And you can probably take 85% of the ones shot since then, too.

The best way to choose is to go to a camera store and handle them both. Canons and Nikons are different to the hand - and, to some degree, different to the brain. For many of us, Nikon just fits us better. But you pretty much can't fail with either - there is a reason that Canon and Nikon are at the top of the heap in this type of photography, and that is that all of the products are pretty darn good.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Sun 11-Apr-10 01:39 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I agonized over that decision myself for months on end.
The deal is, as has been said, both are capable of yielding awesome results easily worth a pro billing time. There are tons of settings and trims or you can shoot in auto until you get comfortable.

I found that I shoot at the tele end of my p&s most of the time so I opted for just the D5000 body and got the 18-105mm AFS ED. Its perfect for me as what i shoot is stage productions and people candids.

I can highly recommend it for its quality and capability.

The deal is, whichever one you get, you should study the manual and become as familiar with it as you can or you will not really get what they are capable of shooting.

The real difference in the cameras will be how they sit in your hand (i love the little cut out in the grip of the D5000 that very few people mention) and how you like your controls.

I like the "I" button on the d5000 very much, it feels very natural for me to use it.

So bottom line, and you will no doubt hear this refrain over and over, is the real difference in the cameras is you.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sun 11-Apr-10 07:21 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Impartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>Am i correct that there is no autofocus in Manual mode? and should this worry me?
First welcome.
There are 4 exposure modes being programme exposure, aperture priority, shutter priority and manual exposure.
The camera uses AF for each of these modes.
You can (though as a beginner I do not think you will) switch of auto focus and use manual focus - in any exposure mode.
If you can go to a shop stocking both cameras and try them side by side. If you prefer the handling or viewfinder of one or the other (it does not matter if it is Nikon or Canon)short list that one.
Nikon and Canon both make excellent camera systems so in that sense it does not matter which you choose.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Defoe Registered since 10th Apr 2010Mon 12-Apr-10 01:48 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Impartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Guys,

Many thanks for your feedback.
"The D5000 focuses in manual exposure mode. What you may be confused by is the fact that the D5000 requires the use of AF-S lenses to auto-focus. "The D5000 does not have a focus motor, so it relies on the built-in focus motors of the AF-S lenses."

This is what i meant to say.

After using a new Panasonic Z35 that my wife gave me for my birthday, i also took up a four week class (12 hrs) introduction to photography. I became so immersed that i now realize the limitaions of the Z35 despite the fact that it has produced (for me) some outstanding pictures. I just feel that now is as good a time as any to make the short leap into the first rung of DSLR ownership!

It's not the price difference between the two choices that i have that i am ditthering about. I intend to shoot mainly outside, landscapes, citiscapes, and evening / night shoots. Now living in Colorado (ex English pat) i have a gazillion opportunities to put a new DSLR through it's paces.

The stock 18-55mm VR lens with the D5000 kit i thought would be too limited for scenery e.t.c. and with the 70-200mm VR lens available for around $200 i thought that these two lenses would be good to go? Though i am not green regarding basic set up and i have a funndimental understanding of A/S/M/ modes and ISO / EV i am just bewildered by the options put together by both Canon and Nikon.

Currently from what i have read (and believe me i have been reading reviews and forum feedback until my eyes bled)my heart is telling me to go for the Rebel, but my head is telling me the Nikon!

Do i need Advil or just the toss of a coin?

Many thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Defoe

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 12-Apr-10 02:00 AM
4333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Impartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 12-Apr-10 02:01 AM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

> with the 70-200mm VR lens available for around $200

I am guessing you have a typo in there somewhere.

One of the problems with trying to compare the lower end Canons with the lower end Nikons is that the levels do not line up:
Nikon D5000 <-> Canon T1i <-> Nikon D90
It makes for an uneven comparison in both directions.

Your best bet is to go to a camera store that has both cameras and try them out. Size, weight, button placement, menu structures. Which one you like better will be the right one for you. (You cannot go wrong with either Nikon or Canon.) I went with Nikon due to the eronomics of the camera bodies.

---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Mon 12-Apr-10 02:03 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Impartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 6

US

"Currently from what i have read (and believe me i have been reading reviews and forum feedback until my eyes bled)my heart is telling me to go for the Rebel, but my head is telling me the Nikon!"

if money is not an object then you might consider renting from a camera shop and shooting for a day or two. I have done that with cars I was considering buying.

Rentals can save you pain in the long run, nothing like actually using it for a day or two to get to know it.

Defoe Registered since 10th Apr 2010Mon 12-Apr-10 03:01 AM
#9. "RE: Impartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor Lens

$217.54 at Amazon

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 12-Apr-10 08:31 PM
50743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Impartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 6

East Frisia, DE

>
>Currently from what i have read (and believe me i have been
>reading reviews and forum feedback until my eyes bled)my heart
>is telling me to go for the Rebel, but my head is telling me
>the Nikon!
>

Your head is right, go for the Nikon.

Here at this place are your friends to help you in any way

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 12-Apr-10 08:07 PM
26652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> Currently from what i have read (and believe me i have been reading reviews and forum feedback until my eyes bled)my heart is telling me to go for the Rebel, but my head is telling me the Nikon!

You're over-analyzing. To reiterate: they will both do the job.

Which is "best" for you can only be decided by you, regardless of what the rest of us like or think. Unfortunately you don't have the experience to know what criteria should be important or not.

The best way to make the decision is to go to the store and handle the D5000 and the Canon. One will inevitably feel better to you - it will seem to work "right" and the other will not. Obviously those of us here mostly found that the Nikon was more comfortable, but there are plenty of Canon shooters in the world, and they are successful too.

If you decide that the Nikon feels better, you may then want to ponder whether or not you'll take the hobby seriously enough to warrant the major advantage of the D90 over the D5000, which its ability to use older lenses in AF mode. If this is a hobby that you won't be adopting intensively (obsessively, as I am told that I am), the D5000 is plenty. There are many AFS and HSM lenses (ie ones that AF on the D5000), with more coming all the time. If you are the sort who either jumps in all the way or doesn't bother, perhaps the D90 is the better approach.

Assuming you go with Nikon, the kit lenses are good values. If you get the D5000, the 18-55 + 55-200 is a good combination, and if I'm not mistaken the D5000 is usually available in a 3-piece package with both lenses. If you go with the D90, its kit lens is usually the 18-105. Adding 70-300VR or the 55-200VR is the usual high-value path.

_____

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Tue 13-Apr-10 11:46 AM
#12. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I would recommend the article By Ken Rockwell called "Why your camera does not matter."

but i would rename it "The Camera matters but not for the reasons you think."

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 13-Apr-10 05:49 PM
#13. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 12

Richmond, US

I really don't think that author is a good one for beginners.

_____

Defoe Registered since 10th Apr 2010Tue 13-Apr-10 11:37 PM
#14. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>I really don't think that author is a good one for beginners.

Well i slightly disagree on this one.

I have read Kens site inside out and back to front, and i feel that he offers sound advice regarding purchasing a camera irrespective of price. He appears to lean towards Nikon but possibly because of his past experience?

One things for sure is that his opinions on camera equipment would leave no one in two minds on his findings. I would rather have this kind of feedback from someone reviewing equipment than just a paste and copy style (from the product guide)often found in magazines and other so called "Camera Review" websites.

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Wed 14-Apr-10 01:43 PM
#15. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 14
Wed 14-Apr-10 01:45 PM by bigfeet

US

>I really don't think that author is a good one for beginners.

I would also disagree with this statement. I stumbled across his site doing some Google searches and have found his articles to be entertaining and seriously informative.

His unabashed enthusiasm for all things photographic and his highly opinionated articles are a refreshing change from the vanilla, "afraid to offend the vendor" articles like dpreview.

He boils down whole books to a few easy to read pages for the newbie enough to get them "over the hump" without making it so simplistic newbies can get cocky.

Yep, i disagree with him on many things. For example, I think his constant pounding of the D40 just because it has 1/500 synch speed is a little weird and not in keeping with the rest of his site. You have to wonder how much that has to do with a refurbished d40 selling on adorama for just a few dollars less than a refurbished d5000.

But overall, take the best and leave the rest, and his site is really one of the best around.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 14-Apr-10 02:02 PM
28874 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 14

Paignton, GB

Yes - his site is certainly entertaining!

But when considering an important purchase decision, I would venture to suggest that most of us want to be able to rely on the information provided, rather than simply having a good read.

My favourite KR quote is taken from his own "About" page...

"Read this site at your own risk. I make a lot of mistakes"

I always come to Nikonians when I want accurate and considered advice

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Wed 14-Apr-10 02:10 PM
#17. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 16

US

"I always come to Nikonians when I want accurate and considered advice "

like the recent thread that said "non ai lenses cannot be used on the dp500" ??

first of all, there is no "non ai" there is pre ai, of which i have two that work perfectly well on the dp5000.

Ken's site was spot on in this area. Frankly, I have found far more misinformation here (albieit very little), than Ken's site.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 14-Apr-10 02:41 PM
28874 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed 14-Apr-10 03:03 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

>like the recent thread that said "non ai lenses cannot be
>used on the dp500" ??

What is a dp500?

The benefit of somewhere like Nikonians is that when someone posts something that is misleading or incorrect, it is invariably swiftly corrected by someone else (in that recent thread it was you... thanks ). Ken admits he doesn't have time to update all his articles, so once he has made a mistake it's there for all to see, forever.

>first of all, there is no "non ai" there is pre ai,

The well-respected mir.com website, a treasure trove of information about the history of Nikon products, uses the term "non-Ai", as illustrated on this page.

>Ken's site was spot on in this area. Frankly, I have found far
>more misinformation here (albieit very little), than Ken's site.

The problem many people have with KR's site is that, unless one knows something about photography it can be difficult to weed out the worthwhile parts (and yes, there are some of those) from the rest. To me, this makes it less valuable for the beginner, simply because he/she doesn't yet know enough to say "oh yes, that's just Ken having a laugh again".

The article you linked to earlier has some valuable ideas about it being the photographer, not the camera, that "makes" an image, but then as so often, he spoils it by making an exaggerated claim: "Your equipment DOES NOT affect the quality of your image". That's a broad generalisation that simply does not hold up in practice.

Although today's lower-end cameras are amazingly capable, there are any number of situations (low light, fast action, tiny subjects, bad weather... when a "better" camera/lens/speedlight/tripod will get the job done more effectively and produce technically superior results.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Wed 14-Apr-10 04:24 PM
#19. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 18

US

>>like the recent thread that said "non ai lenses
>cannot be
>>used on the dp500" ??
>
>What is a dp500?

whooaaa you just got nominated for the internet typo nazi. I am sure you thought that was really clever, but it says more about you than you think.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 14-Apr-10 04:40 PM
#20. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 19

Paignton, GB

>but it says more about you than you think.

Not really - I know I am pedantic... just ask my wife

I'll overlook being called a "nazi" this time, but you might want to check out our Terms of Use for future reference.

But anyway, can we get back to trying to help Garry with his decision, please?

We're all entitled to opinions about the value other websites, but when someone claims that KR is "one of the best out there", providing a counterpoint can help others to make up their own minds.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Defoe Registered since 10th Apr 2010Thu 15-Apr-10 04:42 AM
#21. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 20

US

By mentioning Ken's site i didn't intend to set off WW3..

If carfully read (and somewhere on Ken's site) theres a magazine featuring an article on him. Here he freely admits that he deliberatley puts mistakes in his reviews in order to gauge feedback from readers of those articles. He states that on some occasions when he has knowingly written something incorrectly it is not unusual to have 3,000 e-mails varifying his errors.

Anyone (me included) who is considering parting with 1000 Benjamins should obviously scan for information on the product. In my opinion both professional and user reviews should be sourced for impartial advice.

This is where i am at and at last i have decided on the D5000 kit and to also add the VR Nikon 55-200mm lens. The D90 is also a good buy but the price differential compared to the D5000 cannot in my (or a lot of peoples opinions including Ken Rockwell) be substanciated.

So, i am off to buy the whole shooting match at Amazon. Many thnaks for all your feedbackk and i look forward to my next forum request possibly asking how to attach the lens to the body.....

Regards,

Defoe

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 15-Apr-10 08:45 AM
#22. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 21

Paignton, GB

I'm glad we helped with your decision, Garry

>By mentioning Ken's site i didn't intend to set off WW3...

Don't worry about it! That gentleman's site often results in differences of opinion. That's why he does it really, IMO

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

pologuy Registered since 26th Apr 2010Mon 26-Apr-10 02:38 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 22

Milwaukee, US

This is the exact question I was looking to get answered and why I signed up here

These two cameras (and the D90) have kept me up, more than once, until 3:00 in the morning reading, reading, reading...

I guess I am just in the opposite mindset of the original poster for me, after everything I have read, it's more my heart is telling me to go for the Nikon, but my head is telling me the Rebel

I found this site which shows the different pictures taken with both. And as you can see, the Nikon pictures look "underexposed" and washed out, but have more detail - where the Rebel pictures look bright and colorful, but don't have the detail...

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D5000-D90-Compared-to-Canon-Rebel-T1i-500D.shtml

HELP!

Defoe Registered since 10th Apr 2010Mon 26-Apr-10 03:55 AM
#24. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 23

US

>This is the exact question I was looking to get answered and
>why I signed up here
>
>These two cameras (and the D90) have kept me up, more than
>once, until 3:00 in the morning reading, reading, reading...
>
>I guess I am just in the opposite mindset of the original
>poster for me, after everything I have read, it's more my
>heart is telling me to go for the Nikon, but my head is
>telling me the Rebel
>
>I found this site which shows the different pictures taken
>with both. And as you can see, the Nikon pictures look
>"underexposed" and washed out, but have more detail
>- where the Rebel pictures look bright and colorful, but don't
>have the detail...
>
>http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D5000-D90-Compared-to-Canon-Rebel-T1i-500D.shtml
>
>HELP!
>
>
>
I recieved my D5000 on Friday, and cannot believe the difference between the D5000 and my Panasonic Z35.

Without any shadow of a doubt this is the entry level DSLR to own!

pologuy Registered since 26th Apr 2010Mon 26-Apr-10 04:27 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Impartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 24

Milwaukee, US

Hey,

That's great!

I am sure that as others have stated, either camera is awesome.

However, did you happen to look at the side by side comparison pics of the D5000 and the T1i that are shown in the link I posted?

The pictures seem to prove what I have read - that the Nikon D5000 takes a more detailed picture, but the T1i takes a more bright and vibrant picture...

Anyone have any input?

Thanks!

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Mon 26-Apr-10 09:47 PM
#27. "RE: Impartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 25

US

>The pictures seem to prove what I have read - that the Nikon
>D5000 takes a more detailed picture, but the T1i takes a more
>bright and vibrant picture...
>
>Anyone have any input?
>
>Thanks!
>

Nikon opts for more realistic rendering of the scene to allow the pro to tune as desired. Canon opts for punching up the primaries and contrast which is what most Americans say they like.

Turning on vivid does help or you can crank up the saturation and sharpening a notch or two and see what you like.

The idea is that the camera should have the trims and settings to produce the "look" you want as the creator.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 26-Apr-10 09:08 PM
25898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 23

US

Hi _____ (Polo),

Punching up the color is easy to do in PP or by adjusting the Picture Controls in the camera menu. Setting the Picture Contols to Vivid will puch up the primary colors making them brighter and more vibrant.
Detail is impossible to get back if it was not captured.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

pologuy Registered since 26th Apr 2010Mon 26-Apr-10 10:39 PM
#28. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 26

Milwaukee, US

Thanks a lot guys!

Ok, you just made up my mind for me, its definitely a Nikon....

Now, a D5000 or D90? lol.....

So, can I up the vivid and still keep the camera in auto?

Or once I up the vivid, am I basically manually tuning the camera?

Thanks as always!

Defoe Registered since 10th Apr 2010Tue 27-Apr-10 01:14 AM
#29. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 28

US

If you read reviews, and especially Ken Rockwells i wouldn't bother with the D90.

In my opinion the D5000 has plenty of bells and whistles to keep the most avid snapper happy.

Regarding picture quality, you can ramp up colors, saturation, sharpness e.t.c. to match any camera. I downloaded and installed one of Ken's settings that he uses in Vivid and it knocks your socks off!

As he states not a setting for taking photo's of family and friends, that is unless you want to lose them..........

Once you have your D5000 i would absolutley, definatley recommend reading Ken Rockwells review and guide and without a doubt go out and buy David Busch's D5000 Guide an absolute must do read for anyone using the D5000 at any level of experience. This book has really helped me with my set up and also explains all the bells and whistles.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Defoe

pologuy Registered since 26th Apr 2010Tue 27-Apr-10 06:27 AM
#30. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 26

Milwaukee, US

Is there a way to make the D5000 take a more vivid pic and keep it in auto setting?

I am thinking no, but here is hoping

pologuy Registered since 26th Apr 2010Tue 27-Apr-10 06:31 AM
#31. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 30

Milwaukee, US

Anyone know if there are reputable sites?

They list a new D5000 with lens kit for $535 and $545.....

http://www.digitalelect.com/product.asp?itemid=nkd50001855-de&l=Nextag

http://www.photovideosuperstore.com/product.asp?id=15915

Let me know!

Thanks

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 27-Apr-10 07:05 AM
25898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 31

US

Hi _____,

digitalelect has a rating of 0.00 at www.resellerratings .com

photovideosuperstore.com has a rating of 8.00

I would not buy from either one. The good dealers will have a rating of at least 9.00 or higher.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 27-Apr-10 07:06 AM
4333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"

Seattle, WA, US

Run them through http://www.resellerratings.com

DigitalElect.com is bad.
PhotoVideoSuperstore.com looks questionable.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Tue 27-Apr-10 04:31 PM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
Tue 27-Apr-10 06:11 PM by WD4MLA

Sylva, US

I would stay with B&H Photo or Adorama for a purchase such as this.

As to your other question about Auto.... Is there a reason you want to stay in Auto? I know on the D80, Auto does not yield the results you can get by setting your own. To get the most out of your new camera, I would recommend that you try to break away from Auto Mode, ASAP. That said, I have my camera set on custom settings but find that a bit of Post work always improves the results.

Good luck with your new purchase

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 27-Apr-10 06:59 AM
#32. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 30
Tue 27-Apr-10 07:08 AM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

>Is there a way to make the D5000 take a more vivid pic and
>keep it in auto setting?

Picture Control : Vivid
Page 106 in the English manual.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

pologuy Registered since 26th Apr 2010Tue 27-Apr-10 04:39 PM
#36. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 32

Milwaukee, US

Well, this is my first camera since I got a Polaroid for Christmas as a kid! lol

And as the manual is over 250 pages and I have a lot to learn that is not in the manual, I will be shooting in automatic for awhile, lol.

pologuy Registered since 26th Apr 2010Wed 28-Apr-10 12:04 AM
#37. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 36

Milwaukee, US

OK, I just purchased the D5000!

The battery is still charging - I can't wait, lol.

Thank you to EVERYONE for all of your help.

I am sure you will get sick of me in the next few weeks however with all of my questions!

Thanks again!

scokill Registered since 07th May 2010Sat 08-May-10 02:35 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Imartial Advice Required"
In response to Reply # 37

US

I agonized over the d5000 or d90 and in retrospect I should have went with the d90 for wider lens selection (AF and AFS vs. only AFS for the d5000).

That being said, I'm totally happy with the camera and have taken some outstanding photos (IMO). I have the 18-55vr and 55-200vr kit. When you compare the price of the single lens kit to a two lense kit, the second lens is almost a give away, so I went with the two lens kit.

55-200 is perfect for my daughter's soccer game and anything outdoors. I was on a camping trip recently and found myself switching between lenses and almost wished I had 18-200 lens for an ultimate walk around lens, and sometimes wish I had the 70-300, nature of the beast I guess.

None of the lenses do well with indoor lighting. Shutter speeds get too slow to capture any type of movement without blur and as mentioned even at 3200 ISO. I just bought Sigma 70-200 2.8 for dance/indoor sports. It's a lifetime investment as I have 3 kids that have a variety of activities. I'm shooting first recital today, so we'll see hot it goes.

I shoot in program mode, which is still basically auto (exposure, focus, ISO, etc) except you can set vivid, standard, etc., and you can control your auto ISO range (min/max) and minimum shutter speed, auto focus modes, etc. Camera does everything else for you based on your settings. Example: Some of my daughter's dance pictures were focused on the person next to her, I set the focus mode to single point in center and made sure to track my daughter in the center and she was always in focus. Can't do that in Auto.

Hopefully this was helpful. Good luck, regardless of your decision, you will take some great pictures with either camera or lenses.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1627 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.