Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #161
View in linear mode

Subject: "90 sec video footage D5000 and D90" Previous topic | Next topic
MikeKobal Registered since 21st Apr 2009Fri 01-May-09 02:09 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"90 sec video footage D5000 and D90"

US

just posted it, the low angle shots are done with the D5000, the rest with D90,
video looks identical, like the ergonomics better on the D5000 for video, the slant of the AE lock button is very practical. I just wish the LCD was bigger.
http://www.mikekobal.com/blog
hope you enjoy!
thanks for looking.
cheers,
Mike

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 90 sec video footage D5000 and D90
Pursuit Silver Member
01st May 2009
mfaccone Silver Member
01st May 2009
MikeKobal
01st May 2009
RRRoger Silver Member
03rd May 2009
MikeKobal
03rd May 2009
RRRoger Silver Member
03rd May 2009
phlscot
02nd Jun 2009
RRRoger Silver Member
02nd Jun 2009

Pursuit Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2003Fri 01-May-09 04:42 PM
2110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 90 sec video footage D5000 and D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Kihei, US

Excellent work. Creative use of a new tool.

Jim Kelly
There's no sense making a mistake unless you plan to learn from it.

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Fri 01-May-09 04:45 PM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 90 sec video footage D5000 and D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Bend, US

Your videos are very intriguing and a lot of fun to watch.
If only I could get a camera to take stills as good as that, and my camcorder to get as good as this.
Very talented indeed.
Nice side by side review of the d5000 and d90
Thanks for sharing

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MikeKobal Registered since 21st Apr 2009Fri 01-May-09 08:06 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 90 sec video footage D5000 and D90"
In response to Reply # 2

US

thanks guys! appreciate it. Not sure I will keep the D5000 during actual shoots on a reverse tripod the LCD is kinda small but def hooked on video now, can't wait for Nikon to integrate it into a pro body.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 03-May-09 04:32 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 90 sec video footage D5000 and D90"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

>thanks guys! appreciate it. Not sure I will keep the D5000
>during actual shoots on a reverse tripod the LCD is kinda
>small but def hooked on video now, can't wait for Nikon to
>integrate it into a pro body.
>

What is a reverse tripod?
Is that what you use to make your videos so smooth? Or do you also use a SteadyCam or other device?
What tricks, tools do you recommend?

Rumor has it that Nikon is coming out with a new firmware to enhance video performance and add more manual focusing techniques for the D90.

Evidently any camera with Live View (D3, D3X, or D700) could shoot video with a software upgrade.

I have trouble using the LCD screen to shoot video and wish for a viewfinder mode.

MikeKobal Registered since 21st Apr 2009Sun 03-May-09 09:24 PM
#5. "RE: 90 sec video footage D5000 and D90"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 03-May-09 09:25 PM by MikeKobal

US

What is a reverse tripod?
Is that what you use to make your videos so smooth? Or do you also use a SteadyCam or other device?
What tricks, tools do you recommend?

@RRRoger,
Just pulling out the center column and reversing it. fluid head is a must for panning. make sure the tripod is heavy and sturdy. thats it. just got a steadycam but it will take some time to master it. so far the footage i got totally sux.
cheers,
Mike

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 03-May-09 10:57 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 90 sec video footage D5000 and D90"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

So far, my best results have been with a monopod or just good panning.
I don't like the prospect of hauling my heavy Manfrotto tripod around, but walking with a D90 in movie mode seems impossible.

Practice, practice, practice......

phlscot Registered since 15th May 2009Tue 02-Jun-09 05:11 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 90 sec video footage D5000 and D90"
In response to Reply # 6

US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1aPbwcqquk

low cost improvised steady cam

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 02-Jun-09 06:29 PM
#8. "RE: 90 sec video footage D5000 and D90"
In response to Reply # 7

Monterey Bay, US

I am going to try this with a monopod. If it is too light for a counter weight, I will try my SLIK tripod.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #161 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.