Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1602
View in linear mode

Subject: "Might seem like a silly question but " Previous topic | Next topic
bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Tue 06-Apr-10 06:40 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Might seem like a silly question but "

US

do you you use the tip of your finger to press the shutter release or do you lay your finger across it and use the meaty part towards the knuckle??

I like to use my finger tip but when i am shooting a lot, the finger gets cramped and sore. any thoughts or is this just dumb?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Might seem like a silly question but
bigfeet
06th Apr 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
06th Apr 2010
JosephK Silver Member
06th Apr 2010
bigfeet
07th Apr 2010
whirl85511dd
06th Apr 2010
WD4MLA Silver Member
09th Apr 2010

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Tue 06-Apr-10 06:45 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Might seem like a silly question but "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Why doesn't anybody put the shutter release on the back of the camera where say a thumb could press it?

Seems like it would be better pushing forward than down for vibration control.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 06-Apr-10 04:14 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Might seem like a silly question but "
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 06-Apr-10 04:14 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Tradition! When mechanical shutter releases were introduced, the were placed on the side of the lenses to allow for a short mechanical shutter release linkage. And the lenses were not interchangeable. Then when interchangeable lenses were introduced, the shutter release was moved to a location that did not require the photographers to change their shutter release habits.

Pushing with your thumb from behind could introduce a different movement of the camera.

Gently depressing, not pushing, the shutter release is like gently squeezing a rifle trigger, not pulling it. You need to use very little force for each and it takes practice to develop this basic skill.

But with the raised post on the 'On/Off' switch, one only needs to slide one's index finger or roll the index finger onto the shutter release and use very little force.

Why not use a squeeze bulb release or remote release?

Why not use a lens cap, or top hat, as a shutter?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 06-Apr-10 06:08 PM
4100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Might seem like a silly question but "
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

>Gently depressing, not pushing, the shutter release is like
>gently squeezing a rifle trigger, not pulling it. You need to
>use very little force for each and it takes practice to
>develop this basic skill.
>
>But with the raised post on the 'On/Off' switch, one only
>needs to slide one's index finger or roll the index finger
>onto the shutter release and use very little force.

Excellent description!

---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Wed 07-Apr-10 05:07 AM
#5. "RE: Might seem like a silly question but "
In response to Reply # 4

US

yep, i am starting to see the analogy works. they are very similar.

whirl85511dd Registered since 29th Mar 2010Tue 06-Apr-10 07:47 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Might seem like a silly question but "
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I saw an interesting tip from Moose Peterson on this subject.

He advised to rest your shooting finger on the on/off switch lever and thn gently roll your finger over the button.

Ian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit BargainMemoryCards.

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 09-Apr-10 01:07 AM
896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Might seem like a silly question but "
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

I had never thought of this until your post. Today I was trying to see what would cramp your finger and the only way I could find anything uncomfortable was to use the very end of my finger and point down on the shutter.

I just lay my finger across and press with my finger print. No pain or cramping.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1602 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.