Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1589
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can I do this in the D5000?" Previous topic | Next topic
bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Fri 02-Apr-10 11:56 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can I do this in the D5000?"

US

I have a D5000 and an 18-105 mm afs zoom
I love that lens to death all the time. IMO that is the best lens Nikon has ever made,

but I like the biting sharpness even more when its stopped down a little. IMO F8 rocks.

Is there a procedure to set AUTO to give preference to aperture?

I know I can set aperture priority. It appears the computer would then set ISO and Speed automatically to best practices. Is that true?

Can I then set ISO in the I menu under aperture priority and it will then set only the speed to best practices?

sorry, this is hard to phrase, I think I have it figgered out but I don't want to miss something.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can I do this in the D5000?
aolander Silver Member
03rd Apr 2010
WD4MLA Silver Member
05th Apr 2010
bigfeet
05th Apr 2010
WD4MLA Silver Member
05th Apr 2010
bigfeet
06th Apr 2010
WD4MLA Silver Member
07th Apr 2010
bigfeet
07th Apr 2010

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 03-Apr-10 03:37 AM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can I do this in the D5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

If you use Aperture Priority and turn off Auto ISO, then camera will then select shutter speed only. You can manually set the ISO to whatever you want/need.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 05-Apr-10 04:01 PM
894 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can I do this in the D5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

Almost all lens will benefit by stopping them down a bit and it sounds like you have found the sweet spot on yours.

I do not have a D5000, I have a D80, but I would think you could set it up the same way. I use aperture priority and auto ISO with limits. Mine is set to default to ISO 100 but will increase as needed up to ISO 400.

You could also select an ISO without having it on Auto ISO and only the shutter speed would change.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Mon 05-Apr-10 10:58 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can I do this in the D5000?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

yep, thats what I really want. I want aperture priority and the camera set iso and shutter speed but auto iso doesn't seem to function in A mode for me.

I prolly have some setting wrong but i don't know what it would be.

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 05-Apr-10 11:41 PM
894 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Can I do this in the D5000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Sylva, US

Maybe someone that has a D5000 can jump in and help you set up the auto ISO. It should work with Aperture priority but not in Auto mode, if it is the same as the D80.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Tue 06-Apr-10 04:34 AM
#5. "RE: Can I do this in the D5000?"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 06-Apr-10 06:43 AM by bigfeet

US

While in aperture priority mode under "ISO sensitivity settings" it will not allow me to set AUTO under ISO sensitivity. It replies with "selection not available in this mode".

However, I can set ISO sensitivity auto control to ON and set the limits. works for me.

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 07-Apr-10 12:42 AM
#6. "RE: Can I do this in the D5000?"
In response to Reply # 5

Sylva, US

To set up my D80, I set my ISO Sensitivity to 100. In Custom Settings under ISO Auto I set to ON and the Max. Sensitivity I set to 400 and Min Shutter Speed I set to 1/60s.

Now the camera will default to ISO 100 until the Shutter needs to go below 1/60 and then it will adjust the ISO.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

bigfeet Registered since 02nd Apr 2010Wed 07-Apr-10 02:36 AM
#7. "RE: Can I do this in the D5000?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

ahhh ok, that makes sense according to what i see happening.

thank you for that.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1589 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.