nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1551
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 - Basic exposure control help" Previous topic | Next topic
HardToFocus Registered since 28th Mar 2010Sun 28-Mar-10 03:47 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 - Basic exposure control help"
Sun 28-Mar-10 03:49 AM by HardToFocus

US

Went out today to try my hand at panning for the first time, and ran into a bit of problem that has nothing to do with Panning.

Equipment: D5000 w Kit lens (18-55mm VR)

ISO - 100 (Lo)
WB - Auto
Focus - Single Point / AF-S
Condition - Overcast

Try 1: Mode - Shutter speed

First chose 1/8 shutter speed. But the camera complained it was too bright. Tried taking a picture and was completely blown out.

Try 2: Mode - Manual

- Closed the aperture down as much as possible
- Still couldn't set shutter speed even as slow as 1/15
- After switching to 1/30 was able to take the picture, but still a bit overexposed

Question:
After choosing lowest possible ISO and smallest aperture, what other options do I have to be able to set the shutter speed a bit slower?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 - Basic exposure control help
aolander Silver Member
28th Mar 2010
HardToFocus
28th Mar 2010
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
28th Mar 2010
HardToFocus
28th Mar 2010
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
28th Mar 2010

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 28-Mar-10 04:29 AM
3366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 - Basic exposure control help"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

There are neutral density filters that could be used in this situation. They are available in different "strengths" (one stop, two stop, etc.).

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

HardToFocus Registered since 28th Mar 2010Sun 28-Mar-10 04:38 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 - Basic exposure control help"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I am still learning the controls, so I figured I was missing something.

Thanks for your help.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 28-Mar-10 04:47 AM
4920 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 - Basic exposure control help"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

If you have minimized both the ISO and the aperture, the shutter speed is what it is unless you put on some neutral density filters or a CP filter.

1/30 or so should be good enough for panning practice. What was your target? If your target is not moving fast enough for your light conditions, try getting closer, which will increase the angular velocity (or something like that).

Since you are shooting a moving target, you will want to be using AF-C instead of AF-S. That way your target remains in focus as it goes by.

---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

HardToFocus Registered since 28th Mar 2010Sun 28-Mar-10 05:16 AM
#4. "RE: D5000 - Basic exposure control help"
In response to Reply # 3

US

My 7-year-old ran back-and-forth (hopefully this isn't considered child abuse). And just as you said, I got a much better effect when I moved closer. Still wasn't fast enough, but got a couple of pictures that might pass for panning.

Thanks for the tip on AF-C. Should I also change the auto-focus area from Single-point to Dynamic?

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 28-Mar-10 11:13 PM
4920 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5000 - Basic exposure control help"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

Dynamic would probably be a good choice.

If you want to practice panning with larger, faster, and more predictable targets, then shoot passing cars from the sidewalk on a busy street with no on-street parking.

---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1551 Previous topic | Next topic