Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1543
View in linear mode

Subject: "nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 mm IF-ED vs G" Previous topic | Next topic
azf Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2010Sat 27-Mar-10 01:54 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 mm IF-ED vs G"

Burlington, CA

What is the difference between these 2? I have the D3000. Are they both fully compatible with my camera?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 27-Mar-10 02:59 AM
4187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 mm IF-ED vs G"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

70-300mm f/4-5.6 G
Old, lower quality, low price, requires camera to have an AF motor (d40/d60/d3000/d5000 do not have such a motor, so it is manual focus on those cameras)

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR
newest, high quality, higher price, VR in the lens, AF motor in the lens works with all cameras.

---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

azf Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2010Sat 27-Mar-10 05:11 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 mm IF-ED vs G"
In response to Reply # 1

Burlington, CA

thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 27-Mar-10 05:15 PM
26586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 mm IF-ED vs G"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

In addition to what Joseph said, I'll add that the 70-300 G (the $140 one) is in my experience simply not worth the money. There are quite a few other lenses that are inexpensive that ARE worthwhile, so I don't see any good reason to get this one. It's the only current Nikkor that I simply cannot recommend.

If you're really after a 70-300 lens, the Nikkor 70-300 AFS VR is a good one, albeit a bit on the expensive side at almost $600.

Some alternatives:

- Sigma 70-300 OS DG, fully compatible with AF on all bodies, has OS (the equivalent of AFS) although not as quick to focus as the AFS. About $450. Good lens, and OS - like the VR in the Nikkor - makes it relatively easy to get good results.

- Sigma 70-300 APO Macro DG with motor (the latter part is important, because this is how it does AF), about $240. Has a nice 1:2 macro feature, too. Pretty good lens. Lacks OS or VR, so is harder to get the best out of it.

- Sigma 70-300 DL Macro DG with motor (the latter part is important), about $150. Not as good as anything else listed here except of course the Nikkor above, but still good enough to be useful, with care and attention to detail.

- Nikkor 55-200 AFS VR, about $200. Not as long as the 70-300's, but has VR and is less expensive.

Tamron makes some 70-300's too, but I'm not familiar with them.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1543 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.