Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1533
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help with D5000 Eyepiece/Eyecup" Previous topic | Next topic
Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Wed 24-Mar-10 05:56 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help with D5000 Eyepiece/Eyecup"

US

Hi:

I have been looking high and low to replace the DK-24 Eyepiece that comes with the D5K, which I do not like. I have mounted the Hoodman 22mm square mount (the one I used to have for the D300) and it is great with a minor problem . It is so big that it partly blocks the LCD and fixes it in place. In other words, I no longer have a vari-tilt LCD. However, it is nothing that I miss not having.

I also need a magnifying eyepiece. My diopter adjustment is at its maximum and my vision, well…not what it used to be. I just got the DK-17M (1.3X round mount) with the DK-22 adapter. People in the internet said that it would work. Well, it didn’t. The DK-22 (square to round mount) is designed for the DG2 (2X magnifying eyepiece, only.) The DK-17M ended up in my D700 with the rubber eyecup DK-19 that I already had. It is great since I can MF using the focusing screen, only. I do not know how it would affect the already 95% view in the viewfinder, though. Therefore, I'm back to square one.

These eyepieces/eyecups are great, specially the new setup with the D700 and the Hoodman 22mm square-mount, because they provide a pressure point to stabilize the camera and prevent the light seepage that the standard eyecup usually allows.

I still need a better eyepiece/eyecup for the D5K hopefully with a 1.3x magnifier. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Fri 26-Mar-10 09:25 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help with D5000 Eyepiece/Eyecup"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 26-Mar-10 09:33 PM by Ramesses

US

Update:

I was able to set the Hoodman 22mm square mount on the DK-21M eyepiece (~ 1.2x magnifier,) which I had from my days with the D40. I got the magnification (and diopter adjustment, as a result) I wanted, but still have problems with the Vari-Tilt LCD. However, I can wiggle the DK-21M enough to be able to open and close the LCD and that is all I wanted.

Having the Hoodman Eyecup a bit further away from the camera is very nice. I can use it better as a pressure point to further stabilize the D5K when I bring it to my eye. Sometimes, it is the little things that make a bigger difference.

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1533 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.