nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help with D5000 Eyepiece/Eyecup

Ramesses

US
2035 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007
Wed 24-Mar-10 04:56 PM

Hi:

I have been looking high and low to replace the DK-24 Eyepiece that comes with the D5K, which I do not like. I have mounted the Hoodman 22mm square mount (the one I used to have for the D300) and it is great with a minor problem . It is so big that it partly blocks the LCD and fixes it in place. In other words, I no longer have a vari-tilt LCD. However, it is nothing that I miss not having.

I also need a magnifying eyepiece. My diopter adjustment is at its maximum and my vision, well…not what it used to be. I just got the DK-17M (1.3X round mount) with the DK-22 adapter. People in the internet said that it would work. Well, it didn’t. The DK-22 (square to round mount) is designed for the DG2 (2X magnifying eyepiece, only.) The DK-17M ended up in my D700 with the rubber eyecup DK-19 that I already had. It is great since I can MF using the focusing screen, only. I do not know how it would affect the already 95% view in the viewfinder, though. Therefore, I'm back to square one.

These eyepieces/eyecups are great, specially the new setup with the D700 and the Hoodman 22mm square-mount, because they provide a pressure point to stabilize the camera and prevent the light seepage that the standard eyecup usually allows.

I still need a better eyepiece/eyecup for the D5K hopefully with a 1.3x magnifier. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

G