Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1517
View in linear mode

Subject: "Manual Focus Prime Lenses & D3000" Previous topic | Next topic
benchassaing Registered since 22nd Mar 2010Mon 22-Mar-10 02:46 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Manual Focus Prime Lenses & D3000"

MU

i'm currently looking at some MF Prime lenses on eBay but couldn't determine if they would work on my D3000, below are some lenses i've been looking at. Some advice is welcome.

• YASHICA ML 50 mm F 1:1.9
• CARL ZEISS TESSAR 50mm/2.8 m42
• YASHICA DSB 50mm 1:1.9 PRIME LENS YASHICA / CONTAX 0267
• ZENITAR-M 50mm f1/1.7 lens

Thanks in advance for your help

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Mon 22-Mar-10 05:09 PM
9344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Manual Focus Prime Lenses & D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

You could probably use the Zeiss and the Zenitar-M on the D3000 with an M42-to-Nikon mount adapter. Unfortunately, though, you'd probably lose the ability to focus out to infinity.

That said, a brand new 50mm Nikkor f/1.8D runs about $135 brand new, and will let you use your camera's meter. There are about 80 current ebay auctions for 50mm Nikkors which wouldn't require an adapter. A brand new 35mm f/1.8DX runs about $200, will take full advantage of the automation features of your camera, and has almost the same angle of view on your D3000 as a 50mm lens would on a 35mm film camera.

While it might be fun to play with the Zeiss Tessar, for day-to-day use any of the Nikkors would be a better choice.

You don't have to sort of enhance reality. It is already pretty weird ... you know that there is nothing stranger than truth. Annie Leibovitz

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 22-Mar-10 05:19 PM
3054 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Manual Focus Prime Lenses & D3000"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Most camera manufacturers have their own lens mount design, so Nikon (Nikkor) lenses won't fit on a Canon, for example. Some can be mounted with adapters, but functions such as metering are lost. Third party lens manufacturers (e.g. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.) make lenses with a variety of mounts to fit each camera makers' mounts.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

benchassaing Registered since 22nd Mar 2010Tue 23-Mar-10 05:10 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Manual Focus Prime Lenses & D3000"
In response to Reply # 2

MU

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll go for a Nikkor.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1517 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.