Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1486
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5000 New camera and blurred pictures." Previous topic | Next topic
ladyt Registered since 18th Mar 2010Thu 18-Mar-10 01:50 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5000 New camera and blurred pictures."

US

I'm having a horrible time with my pictures. I'm new to DSLR, and not very computer savvy. Not sure how to post a picture here. My pictures are blurred, well not as crisp as I'd like them to be. I shoot a person modeling my clothing. The entire shoot was a waste of time. I've had some help with setting, but it's just not working. I've read the manual, cover to cover, and I just don't get it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5000 New camera and blurred pictures.
jrp Administrator
18th Mar 2010
ladyt
21st Mar 2010
Donald Kahn
21st Mar 2010
ladyt
21st Mar 2010
MEMcD Moderator
22nd Mar 2010
MEMcD Moderator
22nd Mar 2010

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 18-Mar-10 04:00 AM
34626 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5000 New camera and blurred pictures."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 18-Mar-10 04:03 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Blurred images are usually caused by either of three problems:
a) Camera shake with slow shutter speeds under dim or insufficient light
b) Out of focus subject
c) Thin/shallow Depth of Field

The set of solutions to the first issue a) are:
1. Increase ISO sensitivity to allow for faster shutter speeds
2. Use artificial lighting to accomplish the same objective as above, by providing more light into your subject.
3. Shoot from a tripod -camera shake is usually induced by bad hanholding technique and/or subject moving, and/or
4. Use flash, preferably bounced or diffused.

For the second issue b)
1. Make sure you are selecting the correct AF sensor or group of sensors for your composition and that it has enough light and contrast to auto focus.
2. Resort to manual focusing and prefocus somewhere into the path of the model, shooting when he/she crosses that point.
2. Buy faster lenses.

For the third issue c)
1. Use smaller apertures (for example, f/5.6 instead of f/2.8) for deeper depth of field.

Finally, experiment and take notes, change one variable at the time, so when you choose the better resulting image, it will be easily reproduced/repeated.
Don't dispair. We all have bad shots.
It is said that a good photographer is the one who only show his keepers.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

ladyt Registered since 18th Mar 2010Sun 21-Mar-10 12:28 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5000 New camera and blurred pictures."
In response to Reply # 1

US

My pictures are still not where I think they should be. The color seems to be off, centering is off, I think I have the picture in the center and when I go to edit it's off center.

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009Sun 21-Mar-10 12:47 PM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5000 New camera and blurred pictures."
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 21-Mar-10 01:01 PM by Donald Kahn

US

You really should post a few of your shots with the EXIF data. I'm sure that someone can help you, but without seeing what your settings are, it's almost impossible.

The EXIF data will show up without performing any extra steps in the upload if you post from the originals.

Don

PS You have resize the images so that the long side is less than 900 - or to 800x600 if that's easier for you.

ladyt Registered since 18th Mar 2010Sun 21-Mar-10 05:24 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon D5000 New camera and blurred pictures."
In response to Reply # 3

US

How do I post pictures here?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 22-Mar-10 06:05 AM
26085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D5000 New camera and blurred pictures."
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Theresa,

Welcome to Nikonians!
You can upload images to your gallery and provide a link.
You can also provide a link to your images at flicker or other image hosting service.
To post an image directly in the forums you must be a silver or higher member. See part 3 in the TOU: http://www.nikonians.org/html/about/terms_of_use.html
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 22-Mar-10 06:13 AM
26085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D5000 New camera and blurred pictures."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Theresa,

What are the ambient conditions that you are shooting in?
Indoors or low light?
What subject are you shooting? Static subjects? Moving subjects?
What exposure mode, AF mode, and camera settings are you using?

Are you framing the image in the cameras viewfinder or are you using Live View?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1486 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.