Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #146
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 Unscientific Handling Report" Previous topic | Next topic
markpsf Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2006Sat 25-Apr-09 11:44 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 Unscientific Handling Report"

Woodacre, US

I spent a half hour working with one in Best Buy today.
I've also handled extensively the Olympus E-620 and have the D90.
My comments should be taken with the following serious limitations in mind lest anyone draw any conclusions at all:

a) shooting within the confines of Best Buy is very limited (ex. an action shot consisted of a customer moving as if on qualudes between counters)

b) the lens was the kit lens, very limiting, and I couldn't try any telephoto shooting at all

c) I didn't have the time with the salesman being tied up by my time with the camera to really examine photos carefully in playback

d) not being able to switch back and forth between cameras makes some of these impressions very very subjective

With all that in mind and in no order of importance.

A very quiet shutter - nice for candids

Viewfinder very useable but not quite as bright as the E-620 and, of course, not anywhere near as good as the D90

LCD in Live View at waist level both very useful and also slightly limited re focusing and lag time....fine for composing. The LV/LCD on the Olympus seemed brighter to me, slightly faster, and easier to use for focusing. But boy would I not want to swear by that since I didn't use them side by side.

Very light with the kit lens and also felt very comfortable to hold.

As others have said, comparing this and the D90, for all the similarities, seems like apples and oranges to me. The D90 feels and works like a lighter weight

semi-pro (at least!) camera. The D5000 is clearly a consumer camera and it should sell like hotcakes. It's a neat camera. The articulated LCD and quiet shutter still tempt me a bit re candid and street shooting.

Between the E-620 and D5000 if one didn't have an investment in either system to begin with it would be a hard pick in terms of handling. I'd give a slight edge to the E620 for operation, though I have a hunch the actual results with the Nikon DX system will give the D5000 a slight edge there.

Now I look forward to seeing some effective reviews of the D5000.

Mark

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report
jrp Administrator
26th Apr 2009
Reply message JRP - Your First Report Awaited
markpsf Silver Member
26th Apr 2009
Reply message RE: JRP - Your First Report Awaited
edac
26th Apr 2009
ms_pacman
27th Apr 2009
MEMcD Moderator
27th Apr 2009
mfaccone Silver Member
27th Apr 2009
mfaccone Silver Member
29th Apr 2009
Reply message Live View and LCD
markpsf Silver Member
29th Apr 2009
greenwing Gold Member
29th Apr 2009
mfaccone Silver Member
29th Apr 2009

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 26-Apr-09 09:48 AM
33917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

You have given us very bad news! IT IS ALREADY AVAILABLE AT BEST BUY!!!

Now we have to drive up there to get one.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

markpsf Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2006Sun 26-Apr-09 03:05 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "JRP - Your First Report Awaited"
In response to Reply # 1

Woodacre, US

Well as soon as you have it in operation I'd love your take on the effectiveness re using the LCD screen for focusing and shooting. If it is an effective camera for candids I may "have"
to have one.

>You have given us very bad news! IT IS ALREADY AVAILABLE AT
>BEST BUY!!! ;-)
>
>Now we have to drive up there to get one.

Mark

edac Registered since 18th Jan 2007Sun 26-Apr-09 07:12 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: JRP - Your First Report Awaited"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 26-Apr-09 07:41 PM by edac

US

Mark,

What was the listed price at Best Buy?

*****Nevermind, I saw on the Best Buy Site it was listed at $849.99, with the 18-55VR kit lens.******

Thanks,
Mark

It's Good to be Gold!
Proudly Supporting Nikonians

---------------------------------
Not all those who wander are lost.

ms_pacman Registered since 22nd Apr 2009Mon 27-Apr-09 03:18 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report"
In response to Reply # 1

McKinney, US

>You have given us very bad news! IT IS ALREADY AVAILABLE AT
>BEST BUY!!!
>
>Now we have to drive up there to get one.

i know, i was thinking the same thing! I had been waiting for it to be available on amazon...but shortly after reading this I went on over to my local Best Buy... and luckily they had one in stock!!! so I went ahead and bought her home, yay! this is my first DSLR (my previous camera was a compact Canon point-and-shoot). i had been wanting a DSLR for a while and when i heard about this camera it seemed it would be great for me since i am still in the very early stages of learning about photography etc.

anyway, i can't wait to start using it! thanks to the OP for posting the info!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 27-Apr-09 06:55 AM
24972 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Anita,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D5000!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Mon 27-Apr-09 04:55 PM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report"
In response to Reply # 4

Bend, US

So now you need to write up a review of what you think.
Don't know what equipment you have used, but I'd like it compared to both the D40 and D90.

Mark

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Wed 29-Apr-09 06:08 PM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 29-Apr-09 06:11 PM by mfaccone

Bend, US

I played with one at our local brick and mortar shop for about an hour.
Both the Manager and I were really trying to find all the faults of this thing. Bottom line is, as a consumer camera, there isn't really any that stand out.
I was impressed with the High ISO abilities. At dark subjects, ISO at 3200, the grain was very acceptable and almost better than my D300 at that ISO. Actually, I think it was better. I didn't have a side by side comparison.
LV seemed to focus a little faster than my D300 as well.
The added SCENES weren't all that compelling to me, but then we didn't use them the way they were described to be used. It could help someone shooting a snow scene and keep the snow white.
I have bigger hands and was hoping the camera to be at least another inch tall. If there could be a way for aftermarkets to design a battery grip it would be more comfortable for big hands to hold. But its not that bad with a light lens.
It would have been better if they had used the 18-105 for kit lens instead of the 18-55 just for the extra reach and still being lightweight.
Video seems smooth when set at 13 : 9 but you only get 5 min.
The book says you can get 20 min video if you set to a lower res.
5 min. is plenty long though.. since if I want to shoot video I would get a camcorder instead... but that's my opinion. I can see where it can be very useful to some.

The ONE thing I didn't care too much for was the way the screen went into the body. They could have made just a little more room so you could get a GGS screen protector on it and still let it close. If you want to use those, you will have to keep the LCD facing outside like a normal one does, otherwise you have to use those thin disposable protectors.
Also, if you are limited on the positions you can put the monitor in while mounted on a tripod. They really should have let it swing out the side instead of bottom mounting.
All in all though, I think this camera is worth the price if you are upgrading from the d40 or d60 and as a second throw around camera or backup if you have a d300 or d90.

Mark

markpsf Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2006Wed 29-Apr-09 07:16 PM
#8. "Live View and LCD"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 29-Apr-09 07:18 PM by markpsf

Woodacre, US

Going again to a different store and playing with it again I have only one criticism.

The only reason for me to buy the camera as a backup to the D90
would be the LCD at waist level (I like the way it's placed for that purpose)
with fast Live View for focusing and shooting candids. But it isn't there yet, tho it will be great for setup landscape work.

The Olympus E620 is better for that- faster with less lag time- whatever
its other limitations.

For most others tho the D5000 will be great. I agree with all of Mark's positive comments.

Mark

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Wed 29-Apr-09 08:39 PM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report"
In response to Reply # 7

Yorkshire, GB

>The ONE thing I didn't care too much for was the way the
>screen went into the body. They could have made just a little
>more room so you could get a GGS screen protector on it and
>still let it close. If you want to use those, you will have to
>keep the LCD facing outside like a normal one does, otherwise
>you have to use those thin disposable protectors.

Mark, I think you're being a bit fussy here. If you've got a screen protector on, why would you want to put the LCD face into the camera where you can't use it, and if the screen's facing into the body, why is a protector needed? If room had been left to fit a 'thick' protector, the fit wouldn't have been right without one.

Chris

mfaccone Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008Wed 29-Apr-09 11:36 PM
#10. "RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu 30-Apr-09 07:39 AM by mfaccone

Bend, US

Chris, Maybe so. But I also think that a GGS or some other kind of quality screen cover should be included in a 850.00 plus camera purchase. My reasoning for that one complaint was that if someone else was using the camera and didn't know about the LCD screen not being able to close properly with a screen protector on, they could try closing it forcibly and break the mount.
And as far as not needing a screen protector if you can put the LCD face into the camera... you still have to have the LCD exposed once in a while for setting the camera to do what you want done. You would and will still get it scratched up over time.
For now though, I guess a person can use those thin film LCD protectors until someone like GGS or ACMAXX comes out with one thinner to fit.
Nikon should have at least made one of those plastic covers that they put on the D90 and D300 and others IMHO.
But like I said... that was the only thing I can think of so far that I didn't like about the camera as far as it being a consumer upgrade from the d40/d60 line.

I went back today and played around some more with it. High ISO range is really impressive on an 8X10 print. But I'm not ready to give up my D300 just yet.

Update...
I had just gotten off the phone with a Nikon Tech Support Representative about another question on a different body. While on the phone with her, I asked about the screen protection for this LCD and she said that Nikon was looking into the production of one, but nothing official yet.
Another thing is that you will have to update to Capture NX2 from Capture NX to edit NEF files from this camera.

Mark

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #146 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.